Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently working on a CPU overclocking project that is specific and NOT having to do with gaming performance or performance in general.

Without any background my question is this:
With EIST speedstep technology turned off, CE1 state turned off, my CPU will regulate its FSB multiplier when the cores get too hot. For example, at a normal state I'm running at 4.77Ghz (116.5 x 41.0). If I ramp up the load to the point where thermal throttling happens, the multiplier (41.0) rapidly regulates and drops down to save the cpu from crashing. I want to fix the multiplier at 41.0 so I get a blue screen or some other hard crash. ---yes i know this is burning out the cpu, its ok---

The goal is to crash the cpu after turning off a liquid cooling system. This will demonstrate that with the cooling system, the cpu is reasonably stable and without it the cpu will have a hard thermal crash.

Specs:
Intel i5 4670K 3.4Ghz processor
Gryphon Z87 motherboard BIOS V0903

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Isn't thermal protection hard coded into the CPU regardless of BIOS settings? I thought so.

·
Premium Member
10,885 Posts
You can try disabling the thermal protection in the BIOS, but I think the CPU will still throttle itself no matter what.

·
Registered
779 Posts
experiment with the software found at http://cpu.rightmark.org/

I read on another forum that it has some ability to control aspects of the throttling, though I've never used it, couldn't hurt to look

good luck!

EDIT: if it even supports your CPU....i just saw it hasn't been updated since 2008....blah

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Intel builds thermal throttling into their hardware that can not be disabled with any user software. Their CPUs will slow down to a crawl if necessary with a combination of multiplier and clock modulation throttling. I gave my Core 2 E8400 a mild overclock and some extra voltage and then turned off the CPU fan just to see what would happen while running Prime95. It didn't take too long before over heating but then it throttled just enough to maintain itself a couple of degrees under the built in thermal throttling temperature. It ran 100% reliably for 3 hours before I gave up trying to kill it. From what I have seen, Core i processors are even happier when running near TJ Max. You might be waiting a while to see a BSOD.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/276/hote8400fw5.png

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6216/torturetest.png

If the heatsink gets loose and the core temp goes higher, it will probably reach the thermal shut down temperature about 25C beyond TJ Max. At this temp it will do a graceful shutdown so you still won't see a BSOD.

·
Eastern Bloc Electronics
1,716 Posts
If you want to see a bsod from overheating then just buy phenom ii. Those hate temps over 60 degress C when overclocking. For example my deneb last time crashed when reaching 64oC. Or just get any cpu that get's extreamly unstable when running hot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.