Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some difficulty here. I recently purchased a 32'' Emerson HDTV and decided to use it as a monitor with my PC via HDMI. It's been working great except for with 1 game that's been causing me a mountain of trouble.

I've been trying to troubleshoot this and as far as I can tell... Basically, the issue is that the game, unlike pretty much every other program in existance, uses the max available resolution according to my monitor's EDID instead of my current one. This monitor I'm using can only display at 1360x768 otherwise everything looks blurry. The problem is that the monitor's ''Max'' resolution, according to my PC is 1920x1080 so this game just defaults to that resolution every time it runs.

I asked around on the forum for the game itself and the only method that seems to be available to fix this issue is to edit or override the EDID. I tried following a guide and downloaded "Extron EDID Manager" and "Entech Monitor Asset Manager" but these programs are so unintuitive that I'm having trouble making heads or tails of them. This isn't exactly my area of expertise in the first place.

But anyways, according to my resolution settings, my monitor can support...

1920x1080
1776x1000
1680x1050
1600x900
1440x900
1400x1050
1366x768
1360x1024
1360x768
1280x1024
1280x960
1280x800
1280x768
1280x720
1152x648
1024x768
800x600

But none of these resolutions can display properly on my TV except 1360x768. So I need a way to disable atleast every resolution above that. Or a way to override this game's ability to change my resolution.

I'm currently running, Windows 7 64-bit. I have a Radeon HD 5750.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
what game is causing this problem would be the first question. As my friend I live with has this same issue with his TV as its a 50" plasma and it will only do 1366x768 and look good but can go up to 1080p but looks horrible if set that high. But have noticed if it doesnt go above the recommended resolution values it stays on the screen some what. I luckly dont have that issue with my 47" LCD TV, it will display everything correctly.

Oh have you checked your TVs settiing to see if the TV is messing with the singal as mine I can set it to alter the image so it scales to the screen or leave it at source settings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The game is Star Wars: The Old Republic.

There's a supposed fix on their forum here http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=100907 but it's got no well layed out instructions on how to fix this problem. Just ''Download this and this then find this hex and deleted it from here''. I tried to follow it the best i could but the programs it recommended to download are just absolute garbage when it comes to the interface and the instructions are as vague as can be. But apparently the issue is...

"Every monitor transmits EDID data containing possible resolutions, frequencies and other data. Some manufacturers are lazy and just add stuff that won't work (4:3 resolution on 16:9 screens and vice versa).

Almost every application uses the current resolution to get the aspect ratio, but SWTOR does not. It reads the EDID information instead."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastyX View Post

Use my program: Custom Resolution Utility

Disable the extension block, and define 1360x768 as the first detailed resolution. You can also delete all the other resolutions if you don't need them. Click OK to save, then reboot.
This worked perfectly. You are the man. Solved my issue 100%.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts