Overclock.net banner

Overseas and power supplies

203 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  SweetRevenge 
#1 ·
Hello, I've recently moved to South Korea and I've brought my entire desktop with me except for the case. I just realized that even though power supplies (I have a corsair TX750 watt) can take 220 volts, the power cords that plug into them can only take up to 110 volts. I wish I realized this sooner. Do I have to purchase a new power supply or is there a special cord that I can buy that can plug into American manufactured power supplies as well as handle 220 volts?

#2 ·
PSU should be able to switch from 110 to 220 and vice versa so all you would need is a new cable not a new PSU

Not 100% sure on that

Have heard of one that took an AX860 from France to Canada and it worked fine

#4 ·
There's not really a difference in the cable with regards to being able to handle one voltage as opposed to another. If the pin arrangements and conductor counts etc. are different, that's one thing, but it's not like there's an electrical property that prevents a lump of wires that can carry 110V fine from completely being unable to carry 220V. That's not how the physics works.

Just get the cable that fits the wall outlets, which should be easy to find.

The connector used on the power supply side is used commonly throughout the world (not like that really matters if it weren't and you needed an adapter there, which you don't... just making an electrical connection here, nothing special). The majority of power supplies have the same no matter where you buy them. It's the connector on the wall side that's different in other countries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.