Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

( Referring to CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA [SB890FX] + Phenom II 1090T )

I read plenty of guides and my understanding is the following:
  1. The cpu/NB refers to the internal cpu controller (IMC) while the motherboard NB (890FX) is a different thing (and there is an individual voltage setting for each one).
  2. The memory bus and memory operating frequency is only related (as a bus) to the internal cpu/NB and there is a direct connection from that to the RAM.
  3. The motherboard NB (890FX) is only related to the HT frequency and can work up to 2600MHz (Up to 5200 MT/s ; HyperTransport™ 3.0 ) without having to touch its voltage.
    so only when HT increases more than 2600MHZ the motherboard NB (890FX) voltage has to be increased too.
  4. the cpu/NB frequency can never be lower than the HT frequency
Are all the above correct?

Thank you
Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

Not sure if I'm reading 2 and 3 correctly..but I believe there's summin' wrong in there.

eh..I s'pose it's all correct..set NB voltage to 1.26
maybe blow a fan onto the NB sink
Why should I increase the NB (SB890) voltage ?

Can you please elaborate on what seems to be wrong in what I wrote in points 2 and 3?
What I describe can be seen in the following image taken from http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-890fx-crosshair-iv-formula-890fxa-ud7,2640.html


And 990FX Motherboard for the 990 NB which is similar


The bus between the NB and CPU is HyperTransport 3 , that bus is not related to the RAM so unless the HT frequency increases to frequencies higher that what HT3 can support (>2600MHz) there is no need to raise the NB voltage and stress that chip.

If you keep the HT to around 2000MHz and overclock just the cpu/NB (RAM) frequency you are only dealing with the RAM specs and cpu/NB (IMC) specs so the tweaking involves just these component and maybe the cpu itself but I see no reason to change the voltage of the NB chip (SB890), am I missing something ?

Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Disregard Tom's;Learn how things really are.
That is what I'm trying but telling me to not care about the functional block representation of the chipset and the purpose of each block doesn't help me learn.

I would like to know if there is a purpose to raise a voltage, I only want to raise the NB voltage if there is a need to do so , not because someone else may have raised it too.

Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,244 Posts
You do not want to touch HT Link. Stock 2000. See last image on that thread.


The NB reported on CPU Z is actually the CPU/NB which means you need to increase CPU/NB voltage to make it stable at higher clocks. Thubans should go pretty high and you should do it because it nets tangible gains. Aim 2800 as modest, see how much higher it can go.

CPU/NB provides increased bandwidth to the CPU. It's the gatekeeper of incoming data to the CPU if you will.
http://www.overclock.net/t/555061/guide-am3-cpus-which-ram-speed-is-faster-and-which-cpu-nb-clock-is-best/0_100

As for overclocking this guide is bomb.

http://www.overclock.net/t/777378/official-gappos-little-deneb-thuban-overclocking-guide-with-too-many-smileys/0_100
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: alexan_e

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

I won't post anything else here
biggrin.gif
All your posts are blank.
Derp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

I won't post anything else here
biggrin.gif
Truth hurts I guess, I believe that my comment is valid and judging by your reaction I think you know it too.
tongue.gif

You have decided to turn off two cores in order to increase the frequency of the other four to a higher level but at the end the performance of your four core is worse that the performance of a six core at a lower frequency.
Overclocking is done to increase performance not to achieve impressive numbers (at least for machines intended to be used normally and not just for contest benchmarks)

You have decided to remove your replies content but the quotes of them still exist in my replies and bottom line is that you never answered to my specific question about the NB voltage, you said that something was wrong in what I was saying but when I asked further explanation you told me to not care about that and learn things how they are and attached your overclock validation.
Anyway it is up to you to participate in whatever discussion you like but removing the content of previous replies is quire childish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFir View Post

You do not want to touch HT Link. Stock 2000. See last image on that thread.
CPU/NB provides increased bandwidth to the CPU. It's the gatekeeper of incoming data to the CPU if you will.
http://www.overclock.net/t/555061/guide-am3-cpus-which-ram-speed-is-faster-and-which-cpu-nb-clock-is-best/0_100
Yes I have read the guide you refer to and that was why I opened this thread, I only intend to raise the cpu/NB frequency and keep the HT frequenxy at about 2000MHz so there shouldn't be a need to increase the voltage of the NB chip (890FX) but I see a lot of overclockers increasing it and it makes no sense.
For example in the Asus CH IV Formula Owners : Sheet1 , there are a lot of members that have increase the NB voltage to 1.25 or 1.3v with no reason since they still use HT of about 2000MHz.

Thank you very much for your links , actually I haven't seen el gappo guide and xd_1771 guide.

Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexan_e View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

I won't post anything else here
biggrin.gif
Truth hurts I guess, I believe that my comment is valid and judging by your reaction I think you know it too.
tongue.gif

You have decided to turn off two cores in order to increase the frequency of the other four to a higher level but at the end the performance of your four core is worse that the performance of a six core at a lower frequency.
Overclocking is done to increase performance not to achieve impressive numbers (at least for machines intended to be used normally and not just for contest benchmarks)

You have decided to remove your replies content but the quotes of them still exist in my replies and bottom line is that you never answered to my specific question about the NB voltage, you said that something was wrong in what I was saying but when I asked further explanation you told me to not care about that and learn things how they are and attached your overclock validation.
Anyway it is up to you to participate in whatever discussion you like but removing the content of previous replies is quire childish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFir View Post

You do not want to touch HT Link. Stock 2000. See last image on that thread.
CPU/NB provides increased bandwidth to the CPU. It's the gatekeeper of incoming data to the CPU if you will.
http://www.overclock.net/t/555061/guide-am3-cpus-which-ram-speed-is-faster-and-which-cpu-nb-clock-is-best/0_100
Yes I have read the guide you refer to and that was why I opened this thread, I only intend to raise the cpu/NB frequency and keep the HT frequenxy at about 2000MHz so there shouldn't be a need to increase the voltage of the NB chip (890FX) but I see a lot of overclockers increasing it and it makes no sense.
For example in the Asus CH IV Formula Owners : Sheet1 , there are a lot of members that have increase the NB voltage to 1.25 or 1.3v with no reason since they still use HT of about 2000MHz.

Thank you very much for your links , actually I haven't seen el gappo guide and xd_1771 guide.

Alex
NB voltage might need to be bumped a notch or two... for stability if your RAM or NB clocks go pleasantly high... So if you're scratching your head at instability try bumping that voltage up a few notches, shouldn't be anything major though since it's not a component that's directlyaffected by your OC'ing.

I think when you say that you see some OC'ers increase the BOARD NB, sometimes I think you might be getting confused... they're both "the NB" but I would bet at least 60% of the references you saw in reference to the "NB" were actually CPU/NB.

BTW HT Link is on the SB no?
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: alexan_e

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFir View Post

I think when you say that you see some OC'ers increase the BOARD NB, sometimes I think you might be getting confused... they're both "the NB" but I would bet at least 60% of the references you saw in reference to the "NB" were actually CPU/NB.
It may be the case with some entries but I see several others that have a different voltage value for cpu/NB and NB.
Anyway, I just mentioned it because it seemed strange.

Quote:
BTW HT Link is on the SB no?
I don't think so, maybe there is no north bridge in the traditional way like before the integrated memory controller, the NB is as it used to be but now the RAM has nothing to do with it and connects directly to the CPU, the rest of the peripherals still go through the so called NB (I have posted a couple of block diagrams in post #3 of this thread).

For example in my motherboard the chipset is AMD 890FX/SB850 , the first one is considered to be the NB and the second one the SB and this is how their voltage supplies are referred to the bios too, there is NB and SB voltage (and of course another for the internal cpu/NB).
The HT is between the cpu and 890 or 990 chip etc, aren't these NB chips?

Alex
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top