Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally overclocked my old P3 450 MHz to a P3 550 MHz with the help of CPUFSB.
I raised my FSB from 100 to 124 (see attached pics).
Too bad I wasn't able to raise it to 133 (600 MHz) as my machine would just lock up when I did that.
Now I noticed my PCI bus frequency is 41.3 MHz instead of 33.3 MHz so I hope this isn't bad for my system.
All in all, I think a 22% boost in performance is not bad... the machine now responds faster.
Cheers.

·
Registered
604 Posts
As long as the devices on your PCI are running smoothly then don't worry about.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
woah thats an uber low multiplier. On my CPU, f it wasn't locked, I would try to go for a 10 multiplier.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by z_one

Well I finally overclocked my old P3 450 MHz to a P3 550 MHz with the help of CPUFSB.
I raised my FSB from 100 to 124 (see attached pics).
Too bad I wasn't able to raise it to 133 (600 MHz) as my machine would just lock up when I did that.
Now I noticed my PCI bus frequency is 41.3 MHz instead of 33.3 MHz so I hope this isn't bad for my system.
All in all, I think a 22% boost in performance is not bad... the machine now responds faster.
Cheers.

Are you useing 100bus memory, some will let you put 133bus in.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The 450MHz PIII was a Katmai processor built on a .25 process and had the L2 Cache off chip. Very few made the transition from a 100 to 133MHz fsb.

The Coppermine iteration of the Pentium III would make the transition quite well usually but not the Katmai.

You are doing fine with an overclock of a Katmai to 124. These boards did not have a "PCI Lock" and the PCI/AGP and ISA busses were raised synchonously with the FSB raise. Often built onboard sound would fail on such a raise.

Does your motherboard have built in sound? Or a sound adapter in one of the slots?

R

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kopi, I'm pretty certain the multiplier is locked on my CPU.

ptrogen, just for the fun of it.

jrabb1920, yes I'm using a 100 MHz bus. But I have installed 133 MHz RAM that's why it can easily take the 124 MHz FSB.

Ropey, nope no sound on that machine. However I have a network card and sometimes the link between my main P4 and the overclocked P3 is broken.
I assume this is due to the fact that the network card is on a PCI bus and it malfunctions at 41.3 MHz for the PCI bus speed.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by z_one

However I have a network card and sometimes the link between my main P4 and the overclocked P3 is broken.
I assume this is due to the fact that the network card is on a PCI bus and it malfunctions at 41.3 MHz for the PCI bus speed.

I would think you are correct. Is the LAN onboard or on slot? You may wish to have a few Lan Cards kicking around for the time when the card gives up the ghost. Very likely to happen.

Linksys make quite good lan cards that handle higher bus frequencies. D-Link do not do well.
R

1 - 9 of 9 Posts