Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone could help.

I have clocked my 3.2 (512K) to 3.5 and it is pretty stable. However, after about 45min on full load (HL2) my machine crashes with a blue screen memory error.
Heat isn't an issue on my cpu as i am running a CoolerMaster Jet 4 giving 45-50c (full load). Would it be down to the quality of my memory (2 x 512MB DDR PC3200 400MHz + Alum. heat spreader (branded Geil))? Or can I somehow adjust the timings to stop it crashing. (not very experienced with memory timings though)


Any advise would be a great help.
Many thanks in advance.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,559 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DaGuv

Wondering if anyone could help.

I have clocked my 3.2 (512K) to 3.5 and it is pretty stable. However, after about 45min on full load (HL2) my machine crashes with a blue screen memory error.
Heat isn't an issue on my cpu as i am running a CoolerMaster Jet 4 giving 45-50c (full load). Would it be down to the quality of my memory (2 x 512MB DDR PC3200 400MHz + Alum. heat spreader (branded Geil))? Or can I somehow adjust the timings to stop it crashing. (not very experienced with memory timings though)


Any advise would be a great help.
Many thanks in advance.

try running the memory timings as loose as possible, 3-4-4-8. Also raise the Vdimm up to 2.8v, and see how that runs. If none of this helps then you will have to run a divider. let us no if this doesn't work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by archer_456

try running the memory timings as loose as possible, 3-4-4-8. Also raise the Vdimm up to 2.8v, and see how that runs. If none of this helps then you will have to run a divider. let us no if this doesn't work.

Many thanx, not only is it now stable at 3.5, i've even got it up to 3.6 stable.

Cheers mate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by archer_456

That good news, glad I could help. Now it's time to crank it on up, LOL.

Hehe, wish I could go higher but it just blue screen errors at anything above 3.6. Is there anything else it could be or is this pretty much the limit with my current hardware?


Thanx again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,559 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DaGuv

Hehe, wish I could go higher but it just blue screen errors at anything above 3.6. Is there anything else it could be or is this pretty much the limit with my current hardware?


Thanx again.

Can you post a CPU-Z screen shot of the CPU and Memory tab? This will really help out. We will be able to see what your current settings are and then tweak from there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,559 Posts
Quote:
BSOD are usually memory problems, what do you have the "DDR Reference Voltage" on? if you don't have it set on 2.85v, go ahead and put it on 2.85 volts, then see if you can increase the FSB. if you still can not increase the FSB with this adjust and a Vcore increase, then you RAM is holding you back and you are going to have to run with a divider by setting your RAM on 333Mhz in the BIOS. Once you set the DDR frequency to 333Mhz try to increase the FSB on up, when you get to where you can't boot up, increase the Vcore up a notch. and try again. Just don't go over 1.7 volts on the Vcore and 50c (55c MAX) load temps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by archer_456

BSOD are usually memory problems, what do you have the "DDR Reference Voltage" on? if you don't have it set on 2.85v, go ahead and put it on 2.85 volts, then see if you can increase the FSB. if you still can not increase the FSB with this adjust and a Vcore increase, then you RAM is holding you back and you are going to have to run with a divider by setting your RAM on 333Mhz in the BIOS. Once you set the DDR frequency to 333Mhz try to increase the FSB on up, when you get to where you can't boot up, increase the Vcore up a notch. and try again. Just don't go over 1.7 volts on the Vcore and 50c (55c MAX) load temps.

Hello, I already set my Ref Volt to 2.85v and my vcore at 1.7. I'll try running the divider when I get home from work and see if I can get it any higher. Otherwise I may have to dig deeper into my wallet for some new memory. What is the best memory for this (either 2x1Gb Dimms or 2x512 Dimms)?

Many thanx again, spot on advice.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,559 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DaGuv

Hello, I already set my Ref Volt to 2.85v and my vcore at 1.7. I'll try running the divider when I get home from work and see if I can get it any higher. Otherwise I may have to dig deeper into my wallet for some new memory. What is the best memory for this (either 2x1Gb Dimms or 2x512 Dimms)?

Many thanx again, spot on advice.


Once you run a divider, we will be able to see how far you can get the FSB stable. When you find your max CPU overclock, then you can look at different speed memory. I would recommend getting some Komusa memory, I am planning on getting some for Christmas, it's dependable and cheap. It is the memory of choice for our "Intel Master Guru" NoAffinity, LOL (That sounds like a master card comercial). NoAffinity is the one who introduced us to this memory. I would say you are probably going to want to get 2 x 512 of DDR500 or even 2 x 512 of DDR533. I don't see any need for getting 2Gb of memory unless you do a lot of Video editing and stuff like that. one other recommendation is another motherboard, Your mobo does not supprt dual channel memory which is really hurting performance. Your Hyper Threading processor will really benefit from dual channel memory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I set the ram as 320 (no 333 option?) so it is running a divide of 5:4 but it doesn't really help as it only ups it from 3.6 to 3.65. I was thinking about getting an IC7 max3 anyway so this is the perfect excuse. Also is there any UK suppliers for that memory?

Thanks again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,559 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DaGuv

Ok, I set the ram as 320 (no 333 option?) so it is running a divide of 5:4 but it doesn't really help as it only ups it from 3.6 to 3.65. I was thinking about getting an IC7 max3 anyway so this is the perfect excuse. Also is there any UK suppliers for that memory?

Thanks again.


An IC7-Max3 sounds great. Abit makes some very well built boards. One other thing you might want to invest in is a good PSU. What kind do you have now? The PSU is also a big contributer in how well you can overclock. As for the memory, I couldn't tell you anything about where you could get anything in the UK, LOL. Several people on the forum know where the UK suppliers are. I am not sure if you can get the Komusa memory in the UK. There are other memory that are just as good though, but cost a little more. Start a new thread in the Intel Memory section and you will get tons of answers.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top