Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around and have noticed that people with the P4 3.0E CPU are getting much lower temps(32-34c idle). I have noticed people like myself with the P4 3.2E CPU reporting much higher temps. Does this chip just run alot hotter or what? Mine is running 43-45c idle. And up to 57c under game stress. I have even touched the heatsink close to the bottom with my finger and it dont feel hot. Should i take off the heatsink and see if its not seated right? Maybe there is an air pocket or something? Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaNeKiLLeR
I have been looking around and have noticed that people with the P4 3.0E CPU are getting much lower temps(32-34c idle). I have noticed people like myself with the P4 3.2E CPU reporting much higher temps. Does this chip just run alot hotter or what? Mine is running 43-45c idle. And up to 57c under game stress. I have even touched the heatsink close to the bottom with my finger and it dont feel hot. Should i take off the heatsink and see if its not seated right? Maybe there is an air pocket or something? Any ideas? Thanks.
Are you sure your not looking at LGA775 socket P4 temps? Yours are fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by gibant1
Are you sure your not looking at LGA775 socket P4 temps? Yours are fine.
GIB, im not sure which ones they were but are you serious about my temps? Are they supposed to be that high?? I pretty sure i've seen a few people with those temps on the 3.0E chips, but i could have been mistaken for the LGA sockets.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:

GIB, im not sure which ones they were but are you serious about my temps? Are they supposed to be that high?? I pretty sure i've seen a few people with those temps on the 3.0E chips, but i could have been mistaken for the LGA sockets.
Definately o.k. for 478. if it's under 65c under load your doing fine.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ahb

im breaking the 75°C barrier in load state... thats not good right ?

That is correct, your CPU is not in the recommended heat range, which I beleive for that chip is like 72C.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostnhell
That is correct, your CPU is not in the recommended heat range, which I beleive for that chip is like 72C.
They say 65c is the highest range for the Prescott.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

They say 65c is the highest range for the Prescott.
MY P4 3.0E has a max temp of 71.9C.

And in ide state I would not recommend a temp higher than 55C for a precott.

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
dude i have an LGA775 3.0 and it took me a lot to get it to idle at 35 and load at around 58

i added a rear exhaust fan, a side intake fan, changed the heatsink grease, and did cable management and before this it was idling at around 43 and peaking at 63-66

but you have a 478 and as long as youre under 60 C i wouldnt worry, anything over 60 is no good for even an LGA775

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ahb
im breaking the 75°C barrier in load state... thats not good right ?

no not good

MAKE SURE your heatsink is fully seated (all four pins are locked down and dont wiggle around at all)

remove the heatsink , wipe off all the intel heatsink tape from the heatsink and the cpu, apply a THIN coat of Arctic Silver 5 or Antec Reference Silver compound to the entire top of the cpu and youll see a massive temp decrease, almost 10 C for me

also, add a rear exhaust fan or a side intake fan

·
Registered
754 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigval
no not good

MAKE SURE your heatsink is fully seated (all four pins are locked down and dont wiggle around at all)

remove the heatsink , wipe off all the intel heatsink tape from the heatsink and the cpu, apply a THIN coat of Arctic Silver 5 or Antec Reference Silver compound to the entire top of the cpu and youll see a massive temp decrease, almost 10 C for me

also, add a rear exhaust fan or a side intake fan
Be sure to mention the efficetiveness of adding an air duct. My prescoot idled at 48 and burn at 66 and after i put a duct on the cooler it idle at 38 and burn at 53, thats over 10C of temperature drop. So get your self a air duct to feed cool air from outside the CPU and it beats any super-hs or artic silver

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
lol how exactly do you use an air duct??

attach a flexible pipe to the top of your cpu fan straight to your window?!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Quote:

lol how exactly do you use an air duct??

attach a flexible pipe to the top of your cpu fan straight to your window?!
I have Zalman 7700Alcu so I cut a hole on the metal sideplate and duct tape a plastic tube i found in store once onto it, fits nicely and draws lots air. I also have a video card duct with cardboard and very complicated but thats a different story. Sufficent to say there is also a 10C difference for idle/load

if you ask how to cut holes in metal plate just use a hand saw or something takes 5 min, try not to cut ur fingers lol

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
then you have to keep your window open always, and when it's raining you can draw in moisture...

·
Registered
754 Posts
Quote:

then you have to keep your window open always, and when it's raining you can draw in moisture...
Well i guess it could become "somewhat" of a problem since i didnt bother putting a dust filter on, so if there were any moisture it could get into it. But there is nothing involved with the window. You see, I live in Canada and the air outside is very very cold. I wish i could manage to get some outside air into my case but that would be too complicated and costly. The air inside my house is generally 20C and pretty dry. Even if your room temperature is higher its still better than using the 35C+ air inside your case to cool your hot cpu after an hour or so.

there are some tutorials on the forums about ducting, a thing you have to look into is putting a big fan on the intake of your duct dont really help increase air flow.
:shades2:

·
Registered
55 Posts
ok... as far as temps are concerned...

1. we are overclockers. We don't really care if our machine lasts for 5-10 years. As a matter of fact. I don't think I'd want to own a PC more than 3 years old. So... the life of my processor being decreased from 5+ years doesn't concern me a bit. Give me more performance for 1-2 years and burn yourself out if you want to. I'll buy something alot better when that happens anyway.

2. As long as my CPU is running below throttle temps under load, I don't care alot about idle temps(knowing the difference of the two temps can be useful at times though). If I'm running too hot and my CPU starts throttling back, there is no point to run the cpu that fast since it will slow down anyway after a short period of time under load.

So for those that don't care to own their machines until age and beauty except them, turn 'em up, let them perform, let 'em burn. LOL

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fezzik

ok... as far as temps are concerned...

1. we are overclockers. We don't really care if our machine lasts for 5-10 years. As a matter of fact. I don't think I'd want to own a PC more than 3 years old. So... the life of my processor being decreased from 5+ years doesn't concern me a bit. Give me more performance for 1-2 years and burn yourself out if you want to. I'll buy something alot better when that happens anyway.

2. As long as my CPU is running below throttle temps under load, I don't care alot about idle temps(knowing the difference of the two temps can be useful at times though). If I'm running too hot and my CPU starts throttling back, there is no point to run the cpu that fast since it will slow down anyway after a short period of time under load.

So for those that don't care to own their machines until age and beauty except them, turn 'em up, let them perform, let 'em burn. LOL

All we need to do is add the Overclock.net logo to this T-Shirt design to exemplify the attitudes towards our CPU's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts