Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to overclock my P4 presscot 3.4 more than i already have. i have it at 3.8 normally but i want to know if i can clock it up to 4.0ghz or more using the stock cooler?

soo any help would be cool

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
As long as your temps with the stock heatinsk are lower then 65*c, then there's no problem clocking higher, but with a stock heatsink, that's usally the first problem that you have.

My 550 could go to 3.9ghz on stock cooling, and 4.2ghz with water.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
You do need to take into account that this board is using a SIS648FX chipset. Getting to 3.8 on that board is a pretty good feat already.
Doing it on stock is something else! Hows your memory bandwidth? Temps?

R

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dunno mate am just gonna leave it till a get me new cooler then clock it up, the temps were high enough so i didnt want to go further lol

ive put it back to stock

doesnt change much like lol

whats annoying me tho i just bought a new vga card and its just packed in back to me old faithful 6200

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have the processor and overclocked this morning with the BT cooler got 4.0Ghz running right now with temps at 37c idle and 55c load.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TeleFragX

I have the processor and overclocked this morning with the BT cooler got 4.0Ghz running right now with temps at 37c idle and 55c load.

You are running a cream of the crop motherboard
That i955 Chipset is a "Royal" indeed. Pretty hard to compare that board of yours though with a SIS648FX. Stability at the 4.0GHz level (and I emphasize stability with Memtest v3.2-DOS and Dual Prime95) is much easier to gain with your board than a SIS648 chipset.

R

·
Registered
562 Posts
True maybe a more powerful motherboard may also be needed... I wanted to overclock so i raised the money and got new ram, mobo and fan

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeh thanx for that i couldnt of asked for a better post so thanx alot

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Love that board. You will absolutely love the Fatal1ty. It's phenominal and increased my fps by 10+. When playing F.E.A.R. and Quake4 the extra Gig of ram also made a magnificent difference with elimination of any stuttering.

The difference between onboard sound and the Audigy is the same as the difference between the Audigy and thd X-Fi.

@horkan, it is good to know the limits of the board so one does not spend money on a very hard to achieve end. I wasn't putting your board down. You have done very well so far so anything extra is an extra testament to your working on the overclock.

R

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ive got 2gb and its nice on fear and quake 4

·
Registered
562 Posts
Is that aimed at my sig? If so F.E.A.R. is full of bugs i cant play with more the 6fps because my mouse the G5 makes fear run that way its a bug they are aware of is all they say (they been vugames.com)

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TeleFragX

Is that aimed at my sig? If so F.E.A.R. is full of bugs i cant play with more the 6fps because my mouse the G5 makes fear run that way its a bug they are awair of is all they say (they been vugames.com)

When you use a different mouse is the problem not there? By the way, I've downloaded your avatar for my system. Thanks

R

·
Registered
562 Posts
May people are complaining all with this mouse if i take it out its ok but if i run the performance test with it out on fear i still only get 10FPS and i dont know why even when i overclocked...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh and thanx ropey for that at the eng of your comment was nice

i dont do anything really tho easytune does it all for me soo i dont have to change anything on the bios, ive had it to 4ghx once but i didnt know what i was doin last year soo i just put it back to normal

once i knew what i was doin i had it at 3.7 and just left it and then put it up to 3.8 lol

easytune is great with gigabyte mobo, tis a well good thing to include in it bundle as it increases the fan speed more you clock it up to, to try and keep the temps down

what cheap mobo do you think i should get?

whats a avatar btw?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Easytune is bad... I have it myself i overclocked to 4ghz using it crashed windows very unstable if i do though the bios perfect! Watch it with that program!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how will i do it through the bios then mate?

·
Registered
562 Posts
horkan.. There is several things but seen as easytune has done it for you the best thing to do is open it.. click the advanced tab and copy down all the settings..

Pop into your bios (press DEL key) and when there press CTRL+F1 that should allow you to see all the settings now im not sure with yours but check in M.I.B(.2.) section or Advanced settings etc..to find where to change the options then all you have to do is put the settings in that you got from easy tune.. if you want more info step by step add me to MSN if you have it ill guide you though it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oh thanx for that mate im learning loads of stuff each day on here

1 - 20 of 25 Posts