Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I am thinking of upgrading from a p4 3.06 with the 533 fsb northwood to a 3.2 or 3.4 northwood core. I noticed that they are made in lots of different countries and was wondering if there is any difference depending on where they are made. I seem to remember reading once that Malay was better but I'm not sure. Any info would be greatly appreciated. You guys ROCK!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Where their made doesnt really matter at all, depends on your stepping and revision and especially cooling....just got to be lucky with the one they ship you

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
IMO they are about the same. I wouldn't worry about where they are produced, as long as the cores are good. Its a matter of luck.

Edit\\\\ Damit Orange you beat me by a few seconds

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
if i remember well from my conversation with a friend of mine who is with the intel plant in msia...the msian 1 is better quality especially due to quality control..

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
As far as OCing goes, that 3.06GHz P4 will get you the farthest OCing wise, but will get creamed due to the 23x multiplier and 533FSB. Uh, I wouldn't get the 3.2 or 3.4 northy because they are fairly rare and overpriced for what you get. I would recommend a 3.2E prescott..

but, I think you should get a new motherboard before anything

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
i would suggest the same as wowza... and also ur ram... i have the same proc as u do in my second rig and the skt 775 3.0GHz pressie in my new one...that got me to 4.06GHz oc....so from experience i know the pressie is better but u would need better ram if i want to oc well

btw, i know its not related but just my grouse...can u believe i am from the land of the processors and still they cost more there than over here in europe & us? also u guys get the latest ones first b4 there

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all!
I know the Mobo needs to go, but I have to do one thing at a time. Right now I can get the 3.2 for free by selling my old chip ebay, etc and I get the 800 fsb. I figure eventually the price I can get for the 3.06 will go down when people get rid of their 533 mobos. Until I get the 800 fsb, I'm stuck with the 333 RAM. I tried some corsair xms 400 memory once and actually got lower scores on pcmark for the memory than the generic stuff I was using. I need to strike while the market is still hot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts