Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I wanna buy a new P4 chip that's unlocked, as at the mo I have a 3.0 running at 3.3 just by upping the FSB which isn't doing my RAM any good, as a result I've had to install heatsinks for my RAM sticks
. I need a place that's either based in the UK or ships to the UK.

Also, it has to be skt 478, not the new 775 as I don't wanna upgrade my mobo or break the bank

Also any suggestions on exactly wot processor I shud get, or wot I shud be lookin out 4 wud be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
R u sure? I can't believe that all P4's are locked. I'm going to contact Intel....do they condone o/cing?

Surely there must be some P4's unlocked, otherwise why would anyone on this site have a P4? Or even an intel chip?

*stares at community clutching their Mobile Barton's*

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattyx

R u sure? I can't believe that all P4's are locked. I'm going to contact Intel....do they condone o/cing?

Surely there must be some P4's unlocked, otherwise why would anyone on this site have a P4? Or even an intel chip?

*stares at community clutching their Mobile Barton's*

i think the lga775 ones can use their normal multi or 14x, but i dont think s478 is like that

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well my mobo is a skt 478, and it even has an option to change the multi, but it says locked coz of my processor.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 sec, I'll get a quote from a PC Gamer article

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well there's an article on O/cing, and no where on it does it say that o/cing is restricted to AMD chips, or intel chips are all locked, not allowing for overclocking or anything.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Only unlocked P4's are a select FEW P4 prescotts and the Chips that they send out for reviews... ugh... The real name has slipped my mind, some one else should know the name of it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail

Only unlocked P4's are a select FEW P4 prescotts and the Chips that they send out for reviews... ugh... The real name has slipped my mind, some one else should know the name of it.

refereance chips? and I'm talking about unlocked multi's. coz I have my system sitting here quite happy with an extra 20MHz on the FSB, but any higher and things go wobbly, so I need to increase the multiplier of my CPU, to make just my CPU go faster not my entire system.

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail

doesnt fugger have one of thoes?

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattyx

refereance chips? and I'm talking about unlocked multi's. coz I have my system sitting here quite happy with an extra 20MHz on the FSB, but any higher and things go wobbly, so I need to increase the multiplier of my CPU, to make just my CPU go faster not my entire system.

i dont think you can get ahold of an unlocked multi chip

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
they are called engineering samples, and they are unlocked, but are VERY hard to find. sometimes you can get one on ebay, but not from just a normal retailer.
these are the only unlocked intel chips.

the rest of us up the fsb, like myself, and just because u cant change the multi doesnt mean u cant OC the crap out of it, u just get faster ram.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It wud make sense, I mean how else cud he get it to 7.2GHz

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well how can I overclock my current system more then? I have upped the voltage on my chip and RAM and AGP slot. And yet I still can't over clock my ship to 3.4 GHz otherwise it randomly resets. It's nothing to do with temp either, as I have run Mobo monitor logging the temp before it's crashed and the processor was on about 50-60*C.

Do I really need just faster RAM? If so, then if I get DDR533 or something, how can I o/c my processor without upping my RAM as well?

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are some unlocked, but very rare and not generally sold to the public. The 550 and 560 Prescotts can be lowered to x14. Other than that no, you cannot change the multi on a P chip. Overclocking is generally done with the FSB. You might just need to get some better RAM. Also make sure you don't have a divider on your RAM of greater than 1:1.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think my RAM divider is currently 1:2 coz I up my FSB from 200->220 and my RAM goes up 400->440

Not sure if I can change this, also I think my timings on my RAM are a bit slack, 2.5, 3, 3, 8

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
actually, 55*c is pretty much the max u want your temps at.

and to get higher, it would help by maybe lowering the ram multi, and what u have now is not 1:2 but 1:1...so u should make it 4:3 in the bios

or it also depends on what kind of ram u have to see how fast itll go.
u can also try loosening your memory timings to, that might help to go a little higher.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts