Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Yup, good ole Fugger @ xtremesystems.org. That guy is just absolutely nuts. His 3 stage cascade system is quite a site to behold.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
DFI hyping their boards I see... I just dont see the point in extreme cooling for massive overclocks that you cant really use. Even if it were just for benching I would say it would be worth anyones time.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
He does it both for fun and to see just how high he can go. I agree, it is not practical by any means. But very impressive none the less. DFI is really making some great boards. I am hoping to reach 4.5ghz stable when I get my LanParty 875P-T and my phase change system.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
I guess its kinda neat. I just wont be impressed unless you could get good use from those clock speeds.

BTW How ya been Lando? Hadnt been around for a while and hopefully Ill get to pop in a lil more often now.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
That guy is nuts, I would never risk an expensive CPU by pushing it that far.

By the way, did they specify what he used to cool the cpu?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalphreak

I think he says its phase change.

There was a post in here about a week ago about someone hitting 6.0, he was using liquid nitrogen. Would phase change actually cool better than liq nitro?

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot

There was a post in here about a week ago about someone hitting 6.0, he was using liquid nitrogen. Would phase change actually cool better than liq nitro?

No. Liquid Nitrogen can get down to like -132*C or something crazy close to that. Its just that phase change is more practical.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
He is using a 3 stage cascade system. Basically, it's kind of like 3 Vapochills hooked up together. However, each compressor uses a different gas. The first stage uses something like r402 or r507. I don't know exactly how it works, as I am still learning on the subject, but the first compressor compresses the gas and somehow uses that to cool down the second stage, which uses a higher pressure/lower temp gas like r503 or r1150. This is turn cools down the 3rd compressor which usually uses a mix of refridgerants such as r12/13 or r290/1150. These gases are pretty volatile, so a mix is needed to get the correct vacuum pressure. After the 3rd compressor(stage) is where the capillary tube is(which is the tube that connects to your cpu). Fugger and Chill1 at Xtremesystems.org have reached temps as low as -160 to -180C. It can work just as well as a LN2 setup, but it's much more feasible. The cascade can be run 24 hours a day whereas you only get a few minutes with LN2 before you have to replace it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalphreak

BTW How ya been Lando? Hadnt been around for a while and hopefully Ill get to pop in a lil more often now.

I am doing well Digital, thanks. How have you been?

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznchowboy650

wat is phase change?

Phase change is basically a refridgerator. It uses a compressor to compress a gas like r410 or r404(read-freon) to a liquid. As you may or may not know, when you compress a gas and then release the pressure, it creates very cold temps. When the liquid hits the cpu block, just like a waterblock, it evaporates into a gas again taking the heat with it. The gas then travels to a condenser which acts as a radiator to help remove the heat. Then back to the compressor to start all over again. That is phase change in a nutshell.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Ya, there was a guy using liqiud nitrogen by itself, He just threw on a copper pipe about a foot long and poured in nitrogen in. I don't know what kind of oc he got, nor do I have the link.. But just google it and you cna find it.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
I think that was on toms hardware. I think he got like 10 ghz or something. I might be wrong about the overclock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

I am doing well Digital, thanks. How have you been?

I'll be doing better once the semester is over.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
The one on Tom's Hardware got I think it was 5.4GHz, and the other guy got 6GHz but it wasn't bench stable

1 - 16 of 16 Posts