Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got curius about these chipsets. If i were getting a new mobo in the near future. Which one would probably be the greatest investment? Pros/cons for each one?

My upgraded rig will have single GPU, good clocking abilities and most likely i will still use Dual Core. I`m mostly gaming, clocking and surfing so there wont be too much multitasking etc. in the future either.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
If you are going for a single slot board, get the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (pushing just over 490 FSB OC with quads and 600 FSB with duals). it is under $130 USD to boot! They hopefully have it in Norway.

The second choice I would recommend is an ASUS P5Q, P5Q pro, P5Q-E or P5Q-Deluxe (listed in order of price from lowest to highest)

·
Iconoclast
30,646 Posts
Unless you are intent on high-end crossfire, the X38/X48s are not going to do much of anything better than the P45 or even P35, assuming all other things are equal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericeod View Post
If you are going for a single slot board, get the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (pushing just over 490 FSB OC with quads and 600 FSB with duals). it is under $130 USD to boot! They hopefully have it in Norway.

The second choice I would recommend is an ASUS P5Q, P5Q pro, P5Q-E or P5Q-Deluxe (listed in order of price from lowest to highest)
This is a good recommendation.

• Rep+
Reactions: kimosabi

·
Registered
776 Posts
I use the x48 and cant fault that. Good Overclocking ability. very fast, support for 2x pci-ex16 2.0. X48 supports 1600mhz fsb while the x38 only supports 1333 i believe. the p45 is a very solid chipset, i havnt dealt with that particular chip much. but i would go x48
got my e7300 to 4.5 no trouble on it

Or x58
check out the ex58-extreme from gigabyte

·
Premium Member
4,046 Posts
The P45's that have two pcie slots can do crossfire just fine, people say they run 8x/8x but its not a big deal because its PCIE 2.0 8x/8x which is PCIE1.1 16x/16x.

If you have the money to burn go for an X38 or X48 and if you want something just as good but cheaper grab a P45

Even if the X38 only supports 1333 it will get to 1600 with no trouble at all

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
Is there anything significant between the ICH9 and ICH10 SB's?

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by huntman21014
View Post

the ICH10 is a die shrink from 90nm to 65nm

Hmmm, thanks...

·
Premium Member
4,046 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatal05
View Post

Hmmm, thanks...

ICH10 also has support for PCIE 2.0 which doubles the bandwidth but nothing else really

·
Banned
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericeod
View Post

Thanks alot! Those boards are all available here.
The P5Q-E is about $12 cheaper here than the EP45 UD3P but i must say the Gigabyte feels more impressive. The sexiest thing about the GA EP45 must be the possible RAMspeeds on it. 1366+ mHz. DANG! My P5N-D chokes @ 1022mHz....

Several friends have recommended me the P5Q-E and if i choose this it would be that it has a simpler BIOS. Thats the only thing after looking at some reviews on the EP45 UD3P.

REP+ for sure!
All of you!
And thanks for the displays. Cleared alot of my questions.

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
The choice really comes down to one thing: number of video cards. If you never plan to run more than one video card, then the P45 is your chipset. In fact, you could even go with a P43.

If you ever plan or think you might run CrossFire, you'll want a X38 or X48 motherboard. I would recommend paying the premium for a X48 board because you truly get what you pay for. If I could got back and shop for a motherboard all over again, I'd get the Rampage Formula or X48-DQ6.

·
Premium Member
4,046 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chessmyantidrug
View Post

The choice really comes down to one thing: number of video cards. If you never plan to run more than one video card, then the P45 is your chipset. In fact, you could even go with a P43.

If you ever plan or think you might run CrossFire, you'll want a X38 or X48 motherboard. I would recommend paying the premium for a X48 board because you truly get what you pay for. If I could got back and shop for a motherboard all over again, I'd get the Rampage Formula or X48-DQ6.

Don't go with P43 if you want to overclock, they are lower binned and are very hard to OC with, a bunch of members on OCN have experienced the same thing. Only if you have 2 4870x2's in CFX will the P45's 8x/8x be a big bottleneck, the P45 does crossfire fine but X38/X48 has the full 16x/16x for people dead set on getting every % out of there setup

If you have a P45 and a X48 with identical setups and overclocks the X48 might get 3 or 4 more fps max

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
Three or four percent? When a X48 chipset would give the video cards double the bandwidth? I find that hard to believe. The stigma surrounding dual-card setups before the introduction of PCI-e 2.0 and full x16 bandwidth on two ports was performance didn't scale well. So I find it hard to believe two 4870s on x16/x16 would only outperform two 4870s on x8/x8 by a handful of percentage points. This would make X38/X48 boards useless.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Don't go with P43 if you want to overclock, they are lower binned and are very hard to OC with, a bunch of members on OCN have experienced the same thing. Only if you have 2 4870x2's in CFX will the P45's 8x/8x be a big bottleneck, the P45 does crossfire fine but X38/X48 has the full 16x/16x for people dead set on getting every % out of there setup

If you have a P45 and a X48 with identical setups and overclocks the X48 might get 3 or 4 more fps max

The benefit of full 16x crossfire depends on how much RAM the video cards have. The more ram, the more data has to be transferred between them (since the RAM always has to be kept in sync).

If each card has 256MB of memory or less, there is really no difference even with x8. With 512MB you might lose a few FPS (but nothing major, 3-4FPS like you said). With 1GB, don't even bother running crossfire with less than 16x/16x.

·
Premium Member
4,046 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chessmyantidrug
View Post

Three or four percent? When a X48 chipset would give the video cards double the bandwidth? I find that hard to believe. The stigma surrounding dual-card setups before the introduction of PCI-e 2.0 and full x16 bandwidth on two ports was performance didn't scale well. So I find it hard to believe two 4870s on x16/x16 would only outperform two 4870s on x8/x8 by a handful of percentage points. This would make X38/X48 boards useless.

8x on a P45 board is full 16x on a P35, PCIE 2.0 doubled the bandwidth but GFX cards weren't filling up the full bandwidth of PCIE 1.1, they added PCIE 2.0 for newer cards that could fill up the 16x PCIE 1.1 bandwidth but currently the only card that can is the 4870X2 AFAIK, here is a benchmark in crysis with 4870's and in crysis the difference in P45 was 38% and X48 was 41%, 41%-38%=3%

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=761&p=2

For most people 8x/8x would be fine but if you have $500 for video card then the $60 for the upgrade from P45 to X38 is worth it, if you are buying one card first and plan to add another one later P45 is more than enough

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Quote:

View Post

8x on a P45 board is full 16x on a P35, PCIE 2.0 doubled the bandwidth but GFX cards weren't filling up the full bandwidth of PCIE 1.1, they added PCIE 2.0 for newer cards that could fill up the 16x PCIE 1.1 bandwidth but currently the only card that can is the 4870X2 AFAIK, here is a benchmark in crysis with 4870's and in crysis the difference in P45 was 38% and X48 was 41%, 41%-38%=3%

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=761&p=2

For most people 8x/8x would be fine but if you have $500 for video card then the $60 for the upgrade from P45 to X38 is worth it, if you are buying one card first and plan to add another one later P45 is more than enough

And that benchmark is just with 512MB cards - if you used 1GB cards then the difference will be a lot greater, even if its still the same GPU.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts