Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
It does, but the black slot only will do x4 bandwidth, not dual x16 or x8. I think that would bottleneck dual 8800's.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by RyGuy
View Post

It does, but the black slot only will do x4 bandwidth, not dual x16 or x8. I think that would bottleneck dual 8800's.

Quote:

Reviewed by: Andy

This was my first custom build PC I took my time to decide on what conponents to buy.

And wow I was amazed at the motherboard package, this is so fast with the Intel Core 2 Duo E6400.

The layout of the board is so easy for first time builders, although If you are getting this Motherboard Id recommend getting a SATA 2 Hard drive due to there being only one IDE socket available on the board, I used the IDE socket for my Disk Drives and hooked my Hard drive into 1 of the 6 sata sockets!

I would highly recomend this Mobo for anyone getting a Core 2 Duo processor and also anyone that plays games! Due to their being 2 PCI x16 slots on the board.

Also theres WiFi onboard this board and u get a WiFi adapter in your package, check this Motherboard out on the ASUS website for and insight to what u get.

http://uk.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1...95&modelmenu=1

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...-150-AS&tool=3

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
2 x PCI-E x16 (blue @ x16 mode, black @ x2 or x4 mode)
1 x PCI-E x1 (x1 or diabled mode)
3 x PCI 2.2
Supports ATI CrossFire graphics cards (blue @ x16 mode and black @ x4 mode)

Source

Edited to clarify Crossfire/SLI debate.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
By the way, the P965 chipset does not support SLi, so neither does the P5B Deluxe.

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
You can get SLI to work, but it isn't "supported". The black slot does not have as much bandwidth as the blue slot. That's about as cut and dry as it gets.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by RyGuy
View Post

You can get SLI to work, but it isn't "supported". The black slot does not have as much bandwidth as the blue slot. That's about as cut and dry as it gets.

why do they state the board has dual 16x PCI-E and not 16x & a 4x

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Technically, they both are PCI Express x16 slots. The one slot just doesn't have the full amount of communication with the chipset. It has the same bandwidth to it that a 4x slot technically would have, but it's physically x16 to make sure all the modern graphics cards fit.

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
Not sure, but the chipset is what causes the bandwidth restriction, the slot itself is still x16 compatible (physically).

EDIT: ^^ What he said ^^

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by RyGuy View Post
Not sure, but the chipset is what causes the bandwidth restriction, the slot itself is still x16 compatible (physically).

EDIT: ^^ What he said ^^

so theres no point at all using this board for SLI or CrossFire the black slot will restrict the badwidth

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
Right, but it will still improve the performance, but not on 8800 cards too much. On say an old 6800 SLI setup, there wouldn't be enough data rate to restrict, so it would be worth it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts