Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, playing around with my OC on my Q6600 and I have intel speedstep disabled but yet my proc still reads as getting throttled, it's lower then stock and something is playing with the multi... anyone have an idea as to whats causing this?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,359 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by H3||scr3am
View Post

OK, playing around with my OC on my Q6600 and I have intel speedstep disabled but yet my proc still reads as getting throttled, it's lower then stock and something is playing with the multi... anyone have an idea as to whats causing this?


Do you have C1E Suppport disabled. I know it should not kick in unless you are overheating, but it is the only other thing I can think of that would throttle the CPU down. If you dissable it and the problem goes away, maybe you have a temperature sensor that is faulty, or you bios has an issue.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it, thanks guys yeah i disabled everything except execute disable bit (virus protection) and it reads fine, now i have another issue everytime I run coretemp my PC reboots (tried grabbing another copy of it same thing)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
Out of curiosity, what's the problem with letting it throttle the OC when you aren't doing CPU intensive tasks? It kicks it back up to the max multi anyway as soon as you need it - but if you're just surfing the net, do you really need full speed/full power consumption?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
816 Posts
Run ORTHOS (Two instances) and make sure each core is worked.

Or SuperPi.

As long as it goes up to your overclock, it shouldn't matter..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,359 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by H3||scr3am View Post
Got it, thanks guys yeah i disabled everything except execute disable bit (virus protection) and it reads fine, now i have another issue everytime I run coretemp my PC reboots (tried grabbing another copy of it same thing)
Coretemp .95 does that to all my quads. Use .94 which is also available on there site. The reboot issue is listed as a know bug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tankguys View Post
Out of curiosity, what's the problem with letting it throttle the OC when you aren't doing CPU intensive tasks? It kicks it back up to the max multi anyway as soon as you need it - but if you're just surfing the net, do you really need full speed/full power consumption?
I agree that letting your system throttle is a good idea, it can just be a pain when you are trying to test your OC settings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knitelife View Post

... it can just be a pain when you are trying to test your OC settings.
I hear this a lot, and always figured the same. Really though, it doesn't make any real difference, unless I'm missing something (entirely possible
) since the throttling turns off as soon as the CPU use spikes. So, for example, when stress testing, it's maxing the CPU anyway, and the multi automatically kicks back up to the max. In this case, throttling doesn't really matter.

The only real way I can see it mattering is if you're doing "real world" stability testing where you just want to use the computer as normal, and see if it crashes. That's a pretty odd way of testing, but I guess if that's the way someone operated, throttling would indeed change that around!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The issue for throttling with me is that if I allow it to throttle it'll boot @ 4.0Ghz but then when I launch apps it kicksout and reboots, even @ 3.6 so w/o throttling I know its atleast stable... And CPU-Z makes bad verification dumps if throttling is on...

Thanks Coretemp .94 works fine, but the .95 used to work on my P5N32E-SLI
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,359 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tankguys View Post
I hear this a lot, and always figured the same. Really though, it doesn't make any real difference, unless I'm missing something (entirely possible
) since the throttling turns off as soon as the CPU use spikes. So, for example, when stress testing, it's maxing the CPU anyway, and the multi automatically kicks back up to the max. In this case, throttling doesn't really matter.

The only real way I can see it mattering is if you're doing "real world" stability testing where you just want to use the computer as normal, and see if it crashes. That's a pretty odd way of testing, but I guess if that's the way someone operated, throttling would indeed change that around!

Ha, Tankguys, we dont do "real world" stability testing here. That comes after we have pushed everthing the the limit, squeezed every last mhz and millisecond out of our rig, takes screenshots, verified overclocks, and broken some records. Only then do we bump our numbers down a bit, drop the volts and turn on the power saving features.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top