Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a P5LD2 Deluxe mobo and I have 2GB of Dual Channel PC2 5400 memory. But when my PC boots up it says this:<br />
<br />
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

Press DEL for setup<br />
Press F8 for BBS Popup<br />
PC2-4300 Dual Channel Interlaced

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>Does this mean I am not running my memory as fast as I could be? If there is something I should change, can someone explain how to do it? Thanks

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Yes, your RAM is running at 4300 speeds, not 5400 speeds. I am pretty sure that that board supports 5400 RAM so not sure why it would do that.....<br><br>
Are you overclocking it yet? What are you running your FSB at? Remember, there is little reason to run the RAM faster than your CPU, so unless your FSB is at 333, you don't need the RAM at 5400 speed.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not overclocking anything right now. Now sure what the FSB is at. I just ran CPU-Z, under the CPU tab, at the bottom it shows "Clocks" and it says "Bus Speed" is 200.7 and "Rated FSB" is 802.9. Am I looking at the right numbers here? Or do I need to check somewhere else, like in the BIOS?<br><br>
If there is something I can do here to improve performance, I would love to get some sort of direction to head in, I am too new to this?<br><br>
Thanks for the reply.

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Your FSB is at 200, that's stock for a final FSB of 800. Those are the right numbers to look at.<br />
<br />
Now, as I said, your RAM may not be running at it's maximum speed, but that's not limiting your performance, because your RAM is bottlenecked by your CPU. The cpu can only accept so much information ata time, the fact that the RAM is or can supply more information is meaningless as the CPU can't process it any faster.<br />
<br />
I would be willing to bet that the RAM is being automatically downclocked by the BIOS for that reason, or because it doesn't support a divider (RAM speed versus CPU speed) at that rate.<br />
<br />
<br />
If you want more performance, you will want to start overclocking, just buying faster RAM yields no performance increase unless the CPU can use it all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts