1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sig rig.

Symptoms:
- No display
- Does not boot into Windows (if it did, the LEDs on my Deathadder would turn off
)
- GPU fan speed at 100% when powered on\\
- LED error code readout stays at A2 ("IDE Detect")

What I've tried:

- Moving around/swapping RAM sticks
- Moving GPU between PCIE slots
- Swapping GPU with another GPU
- Clearing CMOS
- Unplugging and replugging all power and SATA cables (worth a shot..)
- Removing GPU

What I haven't tried:

- Using a different motherboard or CPU. I still have my Athlon II X4 630 and OEM mobo lying around, but I currently don't have thermal paste. I also don't have spare SB mobos/CPUs lying around.. Though it'd be nice if I did.

- A different PSU. Don't have a spare, unfortunately.

THOUGHTS:

I initially thought my GPU had died. It was starting to fold a new work unit when the computer suddenly rebooted. When it finished getting back into Windows, I tried to start the GPU client again and the whole thing shut down. Starting the computer back up yielded no display.

Scary.

At that point, I also considered the PSU a possible culprit. Then I tried all those tests listed above.

Anyway, my current best guess is that it's the mobo.

By the way, the motherboard was an open box from Newegg that turned out to be a refurb. Did an ominous tune just start playing in your head? Cause that's what happened to me when I remembered that little detail.

Any thoughts folks?

(Oh, and do let me know if this thread should be moved. Only started it in this forum because of my current suspicions.)

·
Registered
203 Posts
those are pretty standard voltages.

You said you moved and swap the ram? Sounds basic but, did you try to power up using only one dimm, then tested it in every possible location? Asus doesnt dig G.Skill that much and I've seen this tweak needed two times (specially after clearing cmos in non ROG boards)

You already tested the GPU, so there's nothing else to recommend.
If the PC powers on (GPU fan, CPU FAN and PSU Fan working) I doubt there's a PSU problem.

So, I would do the following:

a. test the ram individually
b. I wont suggest to test another PSU if it powers anything, even the fan of the GPU
c. testing the cables on the monitor and even test it with another PC (yes, I know, but pple forget to watch the light going red vs going green, but who knows, monitor might be the problem and you are not getting in windows because you are stuck in BIOS awaiting to press F1/F2,etc because your PC didnt like something prior to the restart
d. Doing another brainstorm if none of the above works?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razorstorm
View Post

So, I would do the following:

a. test the ram individually
b. I wont suggest to test another PSU if it powers anything, even the fan of the GPU
c. testing the cables on the monitor and even test it with another PC (yes, I know, but pple forget to watch the light going red vs going green, but who knows, monitor might be the problem and you are not getting in windows because you are stuck in BIOS awaiting to press F1/F2,etc because your PC didnt like something prior to the restart
d. Doing another brainstorm if none of the above works?

a. No luck.
b. Alright. Might be able to test it on a friend's rig though, so I'll try testing it anyway if I have a chance.
c. Monitor's fine. Was worth checking though

d. After a little more searching, I'm pretty sure it's a motherboard issue. Others have had the exact same problems I'm experiencing.

One thing I hadn't noticed earlier is that the VGA LED light is on. That, in addition to the rest of the symptoms, seems to indicate that I have a pretty common problem amongst owners with these boards.

I think I'll be RMAing this mobo soon.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnysumo;15214177
Thanks for the suggestions.

a. No luck.
b. Alright. Might be able to test it on a friend's rig though, so I'll try testing it anyway if I have a chance.
c. Monitor's fine. Was worth checking though
biggrin.gif

d. After a little more searching, I'm pretty sure it's a motherboard issue. Others have had the exact same problems I'm experiencing.

One thing I hadn't noticed earlier is that the VGA LED light is on. That, in addition to the rest of the symptoms, seems to indicate that I have a pretty common problem amongst owners with these boards.

I think I'll be RMAing this mobo soon.
Too bad you will have to experience some downtime while its RMA'ed. Indeed, Its most probable to be a mobo issue than a CPU issue as you said.

Good luck with the whole thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts