Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
EA knew exactly how many reviewers would be playing the game, so our experiences with the always-on requirement is in no way representative of the final product. It could be the same, or the servers may buckle under the pressure and no one will be able to play the game they paid for.

It wouldn't be the first time such a thing has happened, and since reviewers didn't play under the same circumstances as normal consumers, our good or bad experiences writing the review shouldn't be used as evidence that the sytem is ready to go, or that it will break. It could go either way.

We also weren't able to try out many of the game's social features, and those are expected to play a large role in how the game acts and feels in its latest incarnation.
Source.

Interesting...
thinking.gif

It begs the question, why were a lot of the social features disabled? They likely could have managed to do it as part of an internal network just for the reviewers if they'd wanted to. It's also a great reason to not pre-order games, and just wait until a little while after release to see what it's like.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,951 Posts
So.... let me get this straight... EA doesn't want you to trust their own reviews? They couldn't even get their own paid off reviewers to give "acceptable" good reviews?
applaud.gif

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not EA? It's Penny-Arcade talking about their Simcity Review and that the build they had may or may not be the same as the build we'll all get.

Personally, I believe it was merely because of the cloud features in SC and it just being a lot easier to have pre-release reviews done that way, but either way mad props to PA for telling us instead of just not saying a word...It means that if EA was trying to bribe them I'd feel more confident that they're going to say. (ie. They cherish integrity over cash, unlike IGN)

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Game was suppose to be released 45 minutes ago. i still cant download it........
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis158 View Post

Game was suppose to be released 45 minutes ago. i still cant download it........
rolleyes.gif
It's Origin, if you set up a VPN to mimic New York it'd work just fine right now, just like people who got ME3 unlocked hours early by "being" in Korea. An oversight considering the game's launch was being advertised in EST rather than without a timestamp though.

As for the editorial, I'd commend PA for putting it out, but doing so would require acknowledging that their audience needed it, and I want to foolishly hold onto the hope that the average gamer knows the conditions reviewers play under are anything but launch day conditions....

Nope...
Lost that hope...
Damn it humanity...

Also, the social features weren't disabled, you can see TotalBiscuit use them in his review, it's just with everyone on the server being concerned about their own story they're not social with each other, so they don't really explore that. Rather common on media servers actually.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpriess View Post

Is it worth it..? I got home too late to cancel my preorder..
Yes.

Also, if your updater has errors, close it and reopen it, 3rd beta had the same issue and restarting the updater fixed it instantly. It's not actually an install error it's someone not catching an exception correctly and throwing an error rather than the please restart prompt.

·
You broke it!
14,298 Posts
I see this launching like Diablo III...

Lots of people having just plunked down money, installed, but can't play the game they purchased because the server was down.....

Even though there is a "Single Player" feature....

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post

It's not EA? It's Penny-Arcade talking about their Simcity Review and that the build they had may or may not be the same as the build we'll all get.

Personally, I believe it was merely because of the cloud features in SC and it just being a lot easier to have pre-release reviews done that way, but either way mad props to PA for telling us instead of just not saying a word...It means that if EA was trying to bribe them I'd feel more confident that they're going to say. (ie. They cherish integrity over cash, unlike IGN)
No, the quote's saying that chances are the server that the always on requirement need to hit in order to play the game are going to go down right away and no one's going to be able to play the game.

Ok, they're saying that they "might" go down but I've never seen a release of this magnitude not fall apart immediately.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
So it seems that people are having a difficult time downloading the game and that the max city size is limited to this. What a joke.

I have no doubt that once everyone does begin to play that EA's servers will crack under the pressure. They've always been about cutting corners to the point of failure. Why would this be any different?

I don't feel sorry for anyone who pre-ordered this in spite of their knowledge of articles over the past year and EA's practices in general. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.

·
Premium Member
10,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmoSalt View Post

and that the max city size is limited to this. What a joke.
There are different size regions - some are quite a bit bigger than that one.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

So it seems that people are having a difficult time downloading the game and that the max city size is limited to this. What a joke.
Yeah its sad. What's that, about 8x8 city blocks? That's not a city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceman View Post

There are different size regions - some are quite a bit bigger than that one.
Every city is the same 2km x 2km size. They're all tiny like that.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Quote:

I have no doubt that once everyone does begin to play that EA's servers will crack under the pressure. They've always been about cutting corners to the point of failure. Why would this be any different?

I don't feel sorry for anyone who pre-ordered this in spite of their knowledge of articles over the past year and EA's practices in general. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.
The people having problems downloading aren't clicking the "more info" button, they're spamming retry when the more info button tells you that errors 25-31 just need you to restart the launcher. The game has a 3.6GB install on my computer, but it took only ~10 minutes for me from Origin unlock to tutorial, and I've only got a 2MB/s connection, so they've got rather impressive compression on the download.

Yeah, city size is limited, but the functions of a city in this game are equivalent to the functions of a suburb in SC4. The city size really isn't that big of an issue once you start playing the game

·
Premium Member
10,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljason8eg View Post

Every city is the same 2km x 2km size. They're all tiny like that.
You're correct, I was confusing the region size, which does vary.

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

I see this launching like Diablo III...

Lots of people having just plunked down money, installed, but can't play the game they purchased because the server was down.....

Even though there is a "Single Player" feature....
Pretty much, if I was even considering this game (I'm not for various reasons but I'm still interested in it) I'd be waiting for the first sale...Always online DRM virtually ensures that some people will have difficulty playing at launch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phos View Post

No, the quote's saying that chances are the server that the always on requirement need to hit in order to play the game are going to go down right away and no one's going to be able to play the game.

Ok, they're saying that they "might" go down but I've never seen a release of this magnitude not fall apart immediately.
...And the actual news source (Did you click the link and read it?) says what I said. Read the post above mine for reference as to what I was talking about.
Quote:

the max city size is limited to this. What a joke.
I still can't get over that...It's just way too small IMO. I'd have that filled pretty quickly...I'd love to have the MP and resource aspects with Simcity 4 style gameplay, to me it's like Windows 8: Great software marred by one big flaw. (That, and I'm still not buying any EA games)

·
the one whos many
1,296 Posts
And there it goes...

"Mayors! Origin tells us to refresh your My Games Library if you're having issues with SimCity. Still have issues?"

"DL the game, now it keeps telling me "Unable to load city at this time. Please try again." Been trying for about 30 mins, same error!"

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.