Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Too Poor For This
7,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting my apartment next fall and I'm looking to get a nice set of speakers and amp but I'm definitely on a college budget. Right now i'm looking at $300-$400 max. All i've been able to find on my local craigslist is a peavey mixer amp and two 15" Renkus- Heinz PA Speakers. I was thinking about offering them $150 cash for each but I'm really not sure about their quality or if there are better options so i decided to ask good old OCN

[edit]
Also found the following which is now number 1 on my list.
2 x 220 watt amp mixer
2 15" Phonic Speakers
2 10" Kustom wedge monitors
http://roanoke.craigslist.org/msg/2237362666.html
$400 but I can ask lower.

Another one is a cheap Telluride system that's asking $150. They don't have much information posted but they say it looks like two 8" speakers with an amp (50 watt speakers). I could probably get them for $100-$125
http://roanoke.craigslist.org/msg/2253303915.html

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
PA speakers will play LOUD, they are meant for filling large areas with high SPL. That said, they probably won't offer the same sound quality as hi-fi speakers. They are meant for producing sound (live instruments), not reproducing sound per say. If your aim is to blow the doors off a college party, you've probably found a good way to do it. Critical listening, probably not.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VW_TDI_02
View Post

So I'm getting my apartment next fall and I'm looking to get a nice set of speakers and amp but I'm definitely on a college budget. Right now i'm looking at $300-$400 max. All i've been able to find on my local craigslist is a peavey mixer amp and two 15" Renkus- Heinz PA Speakers. I was thinking about offering them $150 cash for each but I'm really not sure about their quality or if there are better options so i decided to ask good old OCN

[edit]
Also found the following which is now number 1 on my list.
2 x 220 watt amp mixer
2 15" Phonic Speakers
2 10" Kustom wedge monitors
http://roanoke.craigslist.org/msg/2237362666.html
$400 but I can ask lower.

Another one is a cheap Telluride system that's asking $150. They don't have much information posted but they say it looks like two 8" speakers with an amp (50 watt speakers). I could probably get them for $100-$125

The Renkus- Heinz are going to be higher quality than the kustoms or the phonics. But that pevey mixer kills that. PA gear can be high quality but you have to be willing to invest. I'm busy at the moment so I'll just say go look at carvin guitars website. They might have something in your price range.

·
Too Poor For This
7,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman23
View Post

PA speakers will play LOUD, they are meant for filling large areas with high SPL. That said, they probably won't offer the same sound quality as hi-fi speakers. They are meant for producing sound (live instruments), not reproducing sound per say. If your aim is to blow the doors off a college party, you've probably found a good way to do it. Critical listening, probably not.

I'm definitely not looking for hi-fi speakers. More of something to just b last music at a college party.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthspartan
View Post

The Renkus- Heinz are going to be higher quality than the kustoms or the phonics. But that pevey mixer kills that. PA gear can be high quality but you have to be willing to invest. I'm busy at the moment so I'll just say go look at carvin guitars website. They might have something in your price range.

Do you think it would be better to go with the package deal with the two 15" phonics, two 10" kustoms, and amp or go with just the Renkus-Heinz and find some other random mixer amp? Right now the biggest thing is budget. I don't think I really even need the two monitors along with the two 15s but I'm not sure how much another amp would cost.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I'm definitely not looking for hi-fi speakers. More of something to just b last music at a college party.

I think you'll be more than happy then

·
Registered
698 Posts
If your looking for a house party system do not skimp on the amp. A cheap amp is more likely to blow good speakers with poor power management. Also look for a sub so your not trying to push dance beats through a 15" mid.

·
Too Poor For This
7,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fooliobass
View Post

If your looking for a house party system do not skimp on the amp. A cheap amp is more likely to blow good speakers with poor power management. Also look for a sub so your not trying to push dance beats through a 15" mid.

What do you think about the amp in this deal?

And I think the amp might need to wait for a while. This will be pushing my budget as it is...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Quote:

View Post

What do you think about the amp in this deal?

And I think the amp might need to wait for a while. This will be pushing my budget as it is...

Like the ad states, There is not much information out there about that amp. You would have to know alot more about ohms and RMS power before I could recommend anything about it. But over all it looks to be fairly low power and if a DJ gets on it he'll blow speakers or cook the amp real quick.

You really have to think about what you really need the rig to do before you can start specing it out. Are you playing muzak for a soiree or pumping house beats for a frat party... completely different rigs. I have taken 20,000 watt rigs out of frat parties.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Do you think it would be better to go with the package deal with the two 15" phonics, two 10" kustoms, and amp or go with just the Renkus-Heinz and find some other random mixer amp? Right now the biggest thing is budget. I don't think I really even need the two monitors along with the two 15s but I'm not sure how much another amp would cost.

Its so hard to say. your budget is a killer here. That Pevey is not going to drive those cabs to even half power. So lets say you get the Renkus Heinz so thats 200 gone. Now Here is what i would use at a glance to power them. Ive used this same mixer several times for announcers and its great. So you would be 100 over budget but it would be a good start and you would have 2 more powered lines from the mixer to use later.

Now that other PA is not going to be the same quality as this one. But it is a complete PA.

Is there a date you need this buy or is this just for the next thing that come around. If you could get a bigger budget i have other suggestions.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
PA speakers arent made for home listening. It's for weddings, parties, events!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThumperSD
View Post

PA speakers arent made for home listening. It's for weddings, parties, events!

And he wants them for parties. You can use them for home use just not the cheap ones.

·
Too Poor For This
7,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthspartan;13054895
And he wants them for parties. You can use them for home use just not the cheap ones.
Just so everyone knows, I am NOT using them for home listening. They would be used for frat/house parties and that is it!! And I know the budget is killer but I am in college, haha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts