Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I turned on pc and catalyst drivers for my gpu started installing and now I have catalyst menu open. Only thing is although I have the catalyst control center open it requires to be opened through sudo to change resolution through it. Any idea on how to open catalyst through sudo?

There shows the 5770 in pic.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Try this. Drag the launcher from the menu out to the desktop. Right click on it and find out what command the launcher uses.

For example, the command for update manager according to the launcher is:

Code:

Code:
/usr/bin/update-manager
Open a terminal and type gksu +command.

You might even be able to edit the launcher on the menu by going to System>Preferences>Main Menu. Then finding the entry and putting gksu in front of it.

·
Premium Member
8,617 Posts
You should already have a specific menu entry for that (ATI Control Center Administrative). If not you can try editing the menu entry and add gksudeo to it. Also, the options that need administrative privileges are display setup ones, which you can still change through xrandr without needing sudo (just use Ubuntu's resolution tool, which is a gui for xrandr).

·
Premium Member
8,617 Posts
You could try changing the menu entry yourself. Go to the GNOME menu editor, find the CCC Admin. entry, and replace the launch command with "gksudo amdcccle".

·
Premium Member
8,617 Posts
Yes, just replace the command. That way you're simply launching CCC with admin. privileges.

• Rep+
Reactions: Yangas

·
Premium Member
8,617 Posts
The author never got around to adding support for fglrx, so there is no way to see any info on ATI cards; if you want to be able to monitor your ATI card in a graphical interface, use either Phoronix Test Suite or the ATI Overclocking Utility. For the system temperatures, make sure you got lm-sensors properly set up, since perlmon gets its readings from that.

·
Premium Member
8,617 Posts
To get PTS running complete with GUI support:
http://www.overclock.net/linux-unix/...suite-gui.html

For lm-sensors set up, after you install it (look for it in Synaptic) run in a terminal:

Code:
Code:
sudo sensors-detect
Answer "yes" to all the questions. When it finishes reboot. Now simply run in a terminal:

Code:
Code:
sensors
... and you should get a reading listing all your hardware sensors.

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts
To fix lm-sensors type 'sudo sensors-detect' in the terminal. Follow on-screen instructions, but select yes on all options.

Then enable sensors to autostart on boot, but I don't know how to do that on Ubuntu.

·
Premium Member
8,617 Posts
Can you paste the output of sensors-detect? At the end it should give you a print-out of what sensors it found and what drivers it will use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonX View Post
Then enable sensors to autostart on boot, but I don't know how to do that on Ubuntu.

At the end of the sensors-detect run, you're asked if you want to edit /etc/modules. Answering "yes" adds the driver to the file, which makes it load on start-up.

·
Premium Member
8,617 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yangas View Post
#----cut here----
# Chip drivers
it87
# no driver for AMD K10 thermal sensors yet
#----cut here----

That looks about right. Make sure the above entry is in /etc/modules (if you answer "yes" to the last question the script auto adds it on its own) and reboot.

• Rep+
Reactions: Yangas

·
Premium Member
8,617 Posts
Code:

Code:
sudo gedit /etc/modules
That should work. It's a file and it's present in every default install. You can also navigate to it using Nautilus if you prefer a more graphical approach (though you will still need to open the file with admin. privilages to edit it).

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

lp
rtc

# Generated by sensors-detect on Sun Mar 14 16:03:30 2010
# Chip drivers
it87

# Generated by sensors-detect on Mon Mar 15 15:38:23 2010
# Chip drivers
it87

# Generated by sensors-detect on Mon Mar 15 15:42:28 2010
# Chip drivers
it87
should I erase one or 2 of those maybe they are conflicting with each other :S

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.