Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the most preferred paging file size in my SSD for my system? Is a static 512KB enough?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,944 Posts
It should be more than enough.

I've gone without a Paging File ever since Windows XP was new and I haven't had any problems.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
I think you're getting the Paging File and the Partition Offset confused. Paging File is disk space used as virtual ram (usually equal to amount of physical ram available), and the Partition Offset is for properly aligning the partition on a HDD/SSD. Typically 512KB or 1024KB are the most common.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLinky
View Post

I think you're getting the Paging File and the Partition Offset confused. Paging File is disk space used as virtual ram (usually equal to amount of physical ram available), and the Partition Offset is for properly aligning the partition on a HDD/SSD. Typically 512KB or 1024KB are the most common.

Then why is he referring to it as a "static" size?

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

Then why is he referring to it as a "static" size?

Well, he is from the Philippines so English might not be his primary language

The absolute minimum Paging File size is 16MB and he has an SSD so I kinda figured he ment offset. If he is indeed referring to the Paging file, 512MB is plenty (I haven't had a Paging file in a long time either).

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,944 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Well, he is from the Philippines so English might not be his primary language

I know.

Quote:

View Post

The absolute minimum Paging File size is 16MB and he has an SSD so I kinda figured he ment offset. If he is indeed referring to the Paging file, 512MB is plenty (I haven't had a Paging file in a long time either).

I think he means 512 MB.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
English is not our main language but it can be still considered very much used here in our country and I do speak it with pride

I did mean Paging File as in Virtual RAM, yes. Sorry, I meant 512MB on that. I know the difference about Partition Alignment and Paging File, no worries.

I also am aware that it would be better to have no Paging File since it's kind of pointless for systems with 4GB RAM or more nowadays. My main concern here are those programs (or games) that present problems without the paging file. Let me rephrase my question then, what is the "minimum" preferred static paging file size that I would ever need for my system?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
There is no exact number. Some people have 512MB, some 1024MB (like me), some completely turn it off (like TC). It's just a matter of preference really.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I put 8 Gigs of pagefile on my physical drive and none on SSD.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If you have 64bit OS and 8GB memory or more, pagefile you shouldnt need a pagefile.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevindd992002
View Post

English is not our main language but it can be still considered very much used here in our country and I do speak it with pride

I did mean Paging File as in Virtual RAM, yes. Sorry, I meant 512MB on that. I know the difference about Partition Alignment and Paging File, no worries.

I also am aware that it would be better to have no Paging File since it's kind of pointless for systems with 4GB RAM or more nowadays. My main concern here are those programs (or games) that present problems without the paging file. Let me rephrase my question then, what is the "minimum" preferred static paging file size that I would ever need for my system?

Thanks

The best way to figure it out is to start with no Paging File. Then if you run into problems, you can increase it to something very small, like say 32MB. If problems persist, then you can increase it to something larger, like say 64, or 128MB, or any number really (it doesn't have to be a number that is divisible by 4).

You should either find that you don't need a Paging File, or you may need a very tiny one. From what I've seen, most people like us don't need one.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Agreed. I have an HDD in my netbook with only 2GB of physical ram and I still turned the Paging file off. It runs a full install of Windows 7 and i've ran Photoshop CS5 before without running out of ram.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. What kind of error will I be seeing for "no page file" situations?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Very good to know since I will be installing CS5 extended next week sometime when I get the disk.

Quote:

View Post

Agreed. I have an HDD in my netbook with only 2GB of physical ram and I still turned the Paging file off. It runs a full install of Windows 7 and i've ran Photoshop CS5 before without running out of ram.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
If you have 6+ gb of ram, TURN OFF page file. Its completely pointless. Page file is really only usefull on low-ram comps (less than 4gb) running a 32-bit OS. ALL of my computers run without page file, and have had zero problems.

In addition, if your using an SSD, turning off the pagefile can increase load speeds as it does less read/write (no page file to do so), AND gives you more room (I consider SSD space extremely precious).

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But for systems with 4GB RAM, I should still be safe to turn it off I guess.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevindd992002
View Post

But for systems with 4GB RAM, I should still be safe to turn it off I guess.

Very much so.

If you end up with any new system problems, then make a very small Paging File to see if the problems go away. If they don't, then increase the size again and keep doing it until the problem goes away.

However, you won't have any problems.

·
Registered
579 Posts
dont you need a pagefile to see BSoD and the codes they output? i may be wrong but i thought i had to enable one to troubleshoot my overclock.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nazarein
View Post

dont you need a pagefile to see BSoD and the codes they output? i may be wrong but i thought i had to enable one to troubleshoot my overclock.

All Windows 7 says is this:

I don't know how to read these "details" or even see them for that matter.

Besides, you can configure Windows so that it does not automatically reboot if a BSOD occurs.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts