Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I created a 1.5 GB partition for my pagefile and I've set the pagefile to the same size as the partition (using all space, obviously). Now when I start up I get a warning about low space on that partition in the system tray. It's one of those little annoyances that isn't really a big deal but picks you anyway. I don't want to have to click on it for it to go away. Is there anyway I can just stop it from warning me?

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
How much RAM doyou have? You can turn off the Pagefile all-together if you have >= 2GB ram. It's a performance boost to do so.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Is that true about turning it off?

What benefits do you get?

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeking78 View Post

Your OS doesn't need to monitor and maintain a page file. Less disk I/O and less CPU time wasted on something that has no value.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
What happens if you are using a Stress Testing program e.g Orthos (which uses most of your ram as far as i know) and another process needs more memory?

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

What happens if you are using a Stress Testing program e.g Orthos (which uses most of your ram as far as i know) and another process needs more memory?
The OS wouldn't let the new program execute. You would get an error message.

• Rep+
Reactions: Joeking78

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
Quote:

Your loading becomes much faster because everything is loaded into the RAM instead of pagefiles on your HD. Not recommended to have PF turned off unless you have 4GB or more of RAM.

Quote:

A yellow triangle thing with an exclamation mark shows up in your taskbar saying you have ran out of virtual RAM and should get more. Also terminates the applications thats attempting to use all the RAM.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I might try this but is it 2 or 4 gb of ram before I turn it off? Two equally reputable members suggesting different figures

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,880 Posts
You do NOT want to turn it off with 2GB of RAM.

4GB, yeah, I wouldn't really try it with 3GB.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got 1 GB, therefore 1.5 vram should do, right?
I noticed that it was automatically set to default at 1.5 and maximum was like 4 or something. I did a ton of XP tweaks while listening to music, then afterwards (with WMP and Partition Magic open in the background) I played company of heroes for a minute. Afterwards when I checked it hadn't increased at all, so I set it to 1.5 GB on the seperate partition.

Could you just tell me how to stop it from notifying me please?

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tUDJ
View Post

i turned mine off with 2GB and didnt notice a difference so i put it back on

I've been running without a page file and 2GB's for months and with MANY games. The system just boots and perform better. For instance, when overclocking...sometimes you crash. When that happens, the PF can become corrupt. The first thing the OS has to do is fix it. Very time consuming. A waste.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicfission92
View Post

So if you have 2 gigs of ram just turn off the paging file??

I did. But, then again, take EVERY suggestion with a grain of salt on the forum. What works for me may not work for you.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankenPC
View Post

I did. But, then again, take EVERY suggestion with a grain of salt on the forum. What works for me may not work for you.

well I just did it lol. Right now I am only using 415 megs, so I still have 1.62 gigs free. I don't think I can really open anything more that will fill that, even nfsc only uses like 600 megs if that. Ill run it like this for a week and see how it goes.

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeking78
View Post

Thanks for the info.

I might try this but is it 2 or 4 gb of ram before I turn it off? Two equally reputable members suggesting different figures

Well it mostly depends on what you do on the computer. If you just do some basic photoshop, some music editing, Steam/Source gaming. You can safely turn off PF with 2GB RAM. But if you want to do intensive video editing, play BF2/2142, Oblivion then you might possibly run out of page files.

And as more and more RAM intensive applications hit the market, your going to need more and more RAM so having maybe 2GB of physical RAM and one or two GB of PF virtual RAM should be enough.

For me, I got 1GB RAM and 1.4GB of page files.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts