Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I painted my Thermal Take Element flat black. I did a great prep...sanded, primed, ect.... It just seems like the paint is really easy to scratch off... Should I put a clear coat on it? will then prevent the scratches from happening? If not should I think about getting a new case?

·
Registered
200 Posts
you probably didn't let it dry enough, and for mine i didn't use any primer and it's hard to scratch it.

edit:i mean to say that i didn't use clear coat, i did use primer

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
Not enough coats. I did about 6 coats on all my internal parts, but put primer on them first. I let each coat dry for about 2 hrs then recoated them lightly. Finally I let them dry for a day and they have been fine.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I used 120 grit... sanded everything even the insides... I think the number of coats has something to do with it...

+rep to all

·
Banned
1,523 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StrongmanSal
View Post

I think I used 120 grit... sanded everything even the insides... I think the number of coats has something to do with it...

+rep to all

Okay depending on how bad it is i would get anywhere from 100 grit(if it really pealing off fast) up to 400 grit( if its not pealing that bad) then re sand it don't sand it down to the metal thats not necessary.. then prim it let it sit for couple hours prime it again then let dry for couple hours prime it again after 3 coats of prime do the same process with the paint but do anywhere from 4-5 coats of paint and for the first coat of paint do not DO NOT get it all black mist it everywhere so lightly then let that dry then continue with light coats of paint until the last coat and that case well never chip again.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
11,201 Posts
I suggest resanding it down, repriming it with minimum of 2 primer layers then a minimum of 3 coats of paint. Then leave it for 2 days, clearcoat it, leave it a minimum of 4 days and then install components.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts