Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of painting a pc case in chrome/nickel colour? I am refering only to external painting-->front panel, top panel, side panels which are made of plastic and steel. How will the chrome look on those? Will this colour look different in those 2 types of material?(had this problem with another type of gloosy paint..) Do i need to do any special preperation of steps before that, other than sand,prime,paint,clear-coat? I also heard that if you clear-coat the chrome it becomes like silver, which i dont want. I want that mirror look on my case. Is it worth it? What do you think?

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
dont think you can chrome plastic the same way as metal, regardless with such a bright finish that seems like something you need to have done professionally. If you dunno where to start then you are unfortunately not a professional
frown.gif

·
Registered
75 Posts
Chrome isn't something you paint on, or at least if you want it to look like real chrome. For plastic pieces they usually have to be coated with a thin layer of metal for the chrome plating to adherer to. If you do it right I think it would look pretty sick.

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,395 Posts
Only way you can get a good chrome/nickel covering is by anodizing metal. Paint will never ever look the same. Ever.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavallino;13137225
If you are talking about that chrome spray paint then it is probably not going to turn out well.
yeap im talking about spray paint...
well..my uncle is a vehicle refinisher..maybe i can ask him some advice..on how to do it..but from what i understand it's gonna be a real PAIN in the ass...!! darn it..

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also if not chrome what do you think about gold spray paint? will it look nice? combined with blue led fans and cathodes..?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I was once and Industrial Design student and I remember someone using the duplicolor chrome paint to finish a certain piece on a mockup. The problem is it takes a very long time to dry and often ends up with waivers and imperfections due to inconsistent flow from the spray can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts