Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know where to post this thread...

So i'm currently in the process of modding my rig so that it will put on an awesome light show when complete but also look nice when all the lights are still off, and i was wondering if anyone had ever painted the thermal armor on the Sabertooth? i was looking on the forums and hadn't seen any other threads on this

Here is a picture of the board for people unfamiliar

I'm doing a black/red theme with my computer and i'm also wondering if it would be safe to paint the green parts of the heatsinks without a loss in performance?

any help with this would be appreciated!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any other suggestions on the painting of the heatsinks? i bought this before i started modding my case and it would really stink if i had the green sticking out on there

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
my honest opinion would be to sell the sabertooth and buy the red/black board
theme. itll look like it was painted. the alloy heatsinks are anodized. and painting
alloy heatsinks is not condusive to best cooling. re-dye them (see youtube)
its too bad you wanna change schemes, but the mobo painting (especially the plastic
and alloys) will just have a lot of orange peel and not look "smooth" if you know what
i mean. ive seen some opti-drives that from a distance there ok, up close i'd have to
turn away (compitent modders, too) were so 'outta-place" from the slick sheet metal
paint. my vote is save yourself headaches and buy the correct scheme colored board.

airdeano

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdeano View Post

theme. itll look like it was painted. the alloy heatsinks are anodized. and painting
its too bad you wanna change schemes, but the mobo painting (especially the plastic
and alloys) will just have a lot of orange peel and not look "smooth" if you know what
i mean. ive seen some opti-drives that from a distance there ok, up close i'd have to
turn away (compitent modders, too) were so 'outta-place" from the slick sheet metal
paint. my vote is save yourself headaches and buy the correct scheme colored board.
airdeano
going with this guy here..a guy on here painted his sabertooth x58 heatsinks white and it just looks bad. it looks cheap cheap cheap. unfortunately the sabertooth line is more aimed towards function not form.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdeano View Post

airdeano
Plenty of people have painted the thermal armor and when done right in light coats, you can't tell of any orange peel effect.

The heatsinks probably won't be suggested, but I don't see a great loss in performance. Pretty miniscule. Especially since most of the P67 boards mosfets don't get all that hot ( even with a decent OC they don't get that hot with proper air circulation ). But if you do decide to paint them, paint only what you need, tape off the rest to keep the best possible performance.

And as a suggestion for the Thermal Armor, check out Plasti Dip. It's a spray on rubber/plastic coating, looks great and comes in tons of colors. And best part is, if you ever want to change the color scheme, you can peel it right off like a layer of skin.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the idea of having it white! that's awesome may I say. Ill do some looking around to see how it really would look though. I'll also after awhile I'll also add pictures to this forum too for maybe a custom sabertooth page

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB4UGO View Post

I stripped the blue anodizing off my p67 pro heatsinks with drain cleaner. Worked a treat. Done in 10 minutes.
Not sure if natural aluminum is something you want, OP, but I thought I'd mention it.
Sent from my coffee pot.
I might try that with my Asus P8Z68 V-Pro Board as I scrached one of my heatsinks and the aluminum might go better with my next build.

****sorry back on topic now****

I am interested to see what you are doing with the Sabtertooth board. When i clicked the link I thought you where just painting the plastic cover plate like i've seen done a few times.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am going to be painting the plastic cover of the board! i'm getting paint tomorrow and i plan on spraying down lots of parts! i'm getting some red and black too. do you guys think i'll need a primer for this if i just use a scotch brite pad?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
follow the directions of the paint.. if it calls for it, use it..
all you need is to apply the wrong paint and screw up the armor plate
with five coats of usless paint. it'll have to be for plastic use.

airdeano

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowhero18 View Post

I am going to be painting the plastic cover of the board! i'm getting paint tomorrow and i plan on spraying down lots of parts! i'm getting some red and black too. do you guys think i'll need a primer for this if i just use a scotch brite pad?
Grab PlastiDip, makes life so easy.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Grab PlastiDip, makes life so easy.
i'll check that out! is that available at local hardware stores? i have most of the standard ones so stock shouldn't be a problem

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowhero18 View Post

i'll check that out! is that available at local hardware stores? i have most of the standard ones so stock shouldn't be a problem
Should be. I've used it on a ton of my computer stuff, mostly seems like I use it on all of my I/O shields though. But it's great, comes in a spray can just like spray paint and sprays on just as easily. But creates a thin rubber skin over the object. Easily removable if you want a new color too, just peels right off
thumb.gif

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
and you don't need primer for that??? hmmm. i shall take a look at that.

seems like i can only find it in black, do you do regular spray paint over it???

1 - 20 of 57 Posts