Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of adding a Hardware Labs Black Ice GTS 280 to my SR2 560. They will be used with a single Laing D5 strong pump. Any issues running these two types rads in the same loop?

·
Eh, Wha?
9,940 Posts
No issues. It won't be optimally efficient, sound level to performance wise, since each rad is geared towards different speed fans, but it'll work just fine and will certainly yield better performance than your current single rad.

Do you really need that much rad space though?

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No issues. It won't be optimally efficient, sound level to performance wise, since each rad is geared towards different speed fans, but it'll work just fine and will certainly yield better performance than your current single rad.

Do you really need that much rad space though?

I definitely don't NEED this much rad space, but the goal is truly silent cooling sparing little expense. On top the additional rad space, it will help me with the configuration the way I want to run my loop in my new SMA8(a).

I'll be running NB eLoops exclusively in this case FYI.

Im running three GTRs and a SR2 on a single D5. No issues to report.

Thanks for the feedback but I'm looking for feedback based on the specific rads in the title in case there are any issues with flow restriction, etc. Are the Nemesis GTR's similar to the Black Ice GTS's?

·
Eh, Wha?
9,940 Posts
The Nemesis line is basically an upgrade from the Black Ice line, with a bit more focus on not sucking terribly with low-speed fans.

If you have the cash and want to go for that ultimate low noise system, you may want to consider swapping out your current rad for a MO-RA3 instead of adding another smaller rad, or if you aren't in a rush, watercool is actually about to release some new improved rads you could look into.

HWLabs is great, but their focus has never been on silence.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Nemesis line is basically an upgrade from the Black Ice line, with a bit more focus on not sucking terribly with low-speed fans.

If you have the cash and want to go for that ultimate low noise system, you may want to consider swapping out your current rad for a MO-RA3 instead of adding another smaller rad, or if you aren't in a rush, watercool is actually about to release some new improved rads you could look into.

Swapping out my rads isn't an option at this point. I've got what I've got for this new build and it's under way. I've got a 480 SR2 for my TR 1950x and and 560 SR2 for dual 1080 Ti FTW3's. Was only interested in adding another 280 as it would aid in my loop path and possible allow me to run my fans just that much slower.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,219 Posts
There is no issue with running SR2 and GTS together, and your D5 strong will be plenty for it.

Then how does one explain the SR2 and GTS being two of the best performing rads on the market with low speed fans?

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,219 Posts
That'd because the GTS is only in the Nemesis line.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,219 Posts

·
Eh, Wha?
9,940 Posts
AFAIK the Black Ice GTS offers basically nothing over the Nemesis version. As such, there is very little incentive for stores to stock it.

The other Black Ice offerings actually scale better with extreme fan speeds than the newer Nemesis versions (but *much poorer* at medium and low speed) so there is still a small but loyal market for them. The BI GTS however is just plain worse across the board.

There is no issue with running SR2 and GTS together, and your D5 strong will be plenty for it.

Then how does one explain the SR2 and GTS being two of the best performing rads on the market with low speed fans?

Because they aren't. They consistently perform well across just about any speed, because they are extremely well built and designed rads, but they have always suffered on the extreme low end compared to other radiators that were actually designed for that kind of operation, such as those offered by watercool and aquacomputer.

In fact, if you look into their lineage, you can see that HWLabs rads were all originally designed around extreme fan speeds, with the philosophy of offering the ultimate performance per inch, with absolutely no regard to noise levels or ability to scale down to lower fan speeds. It is only their most recent offerings (the nemesis lineup and the SR2) that offer even acceptable performance with lower speed fans, as this was a necessity for them to stay relevant in today's water cooling market where high speed fans have mostly fallen out of favor.

Don't get me wrong, I love HWLabs radiators. They are extremely well made, are probably the cleanest traditional soldered rads you will ever see, have huge cooling potential in a very small package, and are very flexible due to their pretty decent scaling across most typical fan speeds. I am currently using them exclusively, along with my 2500RPM 32mm thick Panaflo fans and custom built fan controller, but if my goal was a totally silent build, neither these fans not these rads would be on my list.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,219 Posts
Because they aren't. They consistently perform well across just about any speed, because they are extremely well built and designed rads, but they have always suffered on the extreme low end compared to other radiators that were actually designed for that kind of operation, such as those offered by watercool and aquacomputer.

In fact, if you look into their lineage, you can see that HWLabs rads were all originally designed around extreme fan speeds, with the philosophy of offering the ultimate performance per inch, with absolutely no regard to noise levels or ability to scale down to lower fan speeds. It is only their most recent offerings (the nemesis lineup and the SR2) that offer even acceptable performance with lower speed fans, as this was a necessity for them to stay relevant in today's water cooling market where high speed fans have mostly fallen out of favor.

Don't get me wrong, I love HWLabs radiators. They are extremely well made, are probably the cleanest traditional soldered rads you will ever see, have huge cooling potential in a very small package, and are very flexible due to their pretty decent scaling across most typical fan speeds. I am currently using them exclusively, along with my 2500RPM 32mm thick Panaflo fans and custom built fan controller, but if my goal was a totally silent build, neither these fans not these rads would be on my list.
Let's just agree to disagree on this. While you find these results acceptable, I find them to far better than acceptable:

Edit - hey...look at that....a chart where the EK SE rad is't dead last in performance. Never thought I would see that. :p

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the information in this thread guys, super helpful.

It turns out I found a way to fit another SR2 in the bottom of my SMA8 instead of needing the GTS so I'm just going to get a 280 SR2 and keep it all uniform.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,219 Posts
Thanks for all the information in this thread guys, super helpful.

It turns out I found a way to fit another SR2 in the bottom of my SMA8 instead of needing the GTS so I'm just going to get a 280 SR2 and keep it all uniform.
Nice. The SR2 are great rads.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Yea I'm excited about them. I'm thinking with a 480 (for CPU loop), and a 560+280 (for GPU loop) I'll have no problems running my NB's on virtually silent speeds :D.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,219 Posts

Yea I'm excited about them. I'm thinking with a 480 (for CPU loop), and a 560+280 (for GPU loop) I'll have no problems running my NB's on virtually silent speeds /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif.
I would imagine so. A while back, I actually had a setup with the rad fans staged by liquid temp. At lower temps, only one rad had fans working, on temp increase the second rad's fans would turn on, then the third. At higher temps they would also ramp up in stages. It really worked well in terms of noise profile. Might be something you want to play with when you get set up.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I'm thinking of adding a Hardware Labs Black Ice GTS 280 to my SR2 560. They will be used with a single Laing D5 strong pump. Any issues running these two types rads in the same loop?
Nope, I've done it. Two 360 GTS with two 240 all on a single D5 pump with setting around 3.

SR-2 are by far my favorite rads to date, I only use 140 versions, Since it gives you more cooling space. I also did some custom painting to them so they would match my Case-Labs Case.

Before:

After:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts