1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,
Finally coming back to gaming!
cheers.gif

Starting off with my GPU upgrade which thereby will push me to PSU update. Researching for a while gets me to NVDIA GTX960.

I have shortlisted following two models. I admit I'm quite fond of aesthetics, so dual fans config and the cool designs forced me to these two models.
You gotta admit they look cool!
specool.gif

ASUS GeForce GTX 960 STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-4GD5 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/global/in/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121928

MSI GeForce GTX 960 DirectX 12 GTX 960 GAMING 4G LE 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ATX Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/global/in/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127929

Now coming back to my real questions, yes there are many!
confused.gif

1. My CPU is legendary AMD phenom II series 965BE C3 clocked at stock 3.4GHz. I want to know how it will affect my GPU performance and is buying 960 really worth it for me?
=>

2. Let's say I overclock my CPU to 4.0GHz. Then again, Is buying 960 really worth it for me?
=>

3. Even though I have came down to 960 I still feel R9 380 is topnotch performer at least on paper! After a small research on the internet I see it beats 960 almost in every game by few FPS or sometimes with few more FPS. So should I rethink my decision on 960?
=>

4. If you look at my rig my mobo supports PCIe 2.0. The cards are PCIe 3.0. I know PCIe supports backward compatibility but hope it will not degrade any performance. Will it?
=>

5. Finally what max FPS I can expect with my config considering GPU as gtx960?
=>

Hoping for as usual great answers and opinions from you guys!
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
20,154 Posts
1. My CPU is legendary AMD phenom II series 965BE C3 clocked at stock 3.4GHz. I want to know how it will affect my GPU performance and is buying 960 really worth it for me? Let's say I overclock my CPU to 4.0GHz. Then again, Is buying 960 really worth it for me?

We got the same motherboard and it can easily oc that Phenom unless you have a bad clocker. You should oc at least 3.8 GHz.
=>

3. Even though I have came down to 960 I still feel R9 380 is topnotch performer at least on paper! After a small research on the internet I see it beats 960 almost in every game by few FPS or sometimes with few more FPS. So should I rethink my decision on 960?

960 is fine. Its fast and cool running. unless you find the 380 cheaper i suggest you stick with your first choice.

4. If you look at my rig my mobo supports PCIe 2.0. The cards are PCIe 3.0. I know PCIe supports backward compatibility but hope it will not degrade any performance. Will it?

None issue with these generation of gpus.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

1. My CPU is legendary AMD phenom II series 965BE C3 clocked at stock 3.4GHz. I want to know how it will affect my GPU performance and is buying 960 really worth it for me? Let's say I overclock my CPU to 4.0GHz. Then again, Is buying 960 really worth it for me?

We got the same motherboard and it can easily oc that Phenom unless you have a bad clocker. You should oc at least 3.8 GHz.
=>
How about going to 4.0GHz? With aftermarket air cooler?

Quote:

960 is fine. Its fast and cool running. unless you find the 380 cheaper i suggest you stick with your first choice.
Hmmm. Power and heat was my concern too. 960 is 120W whereas R9 380 is 190W. A big 70W difference. Plus my CPU is a power hound @ 125W with OC it will further go up. So again I need to worry about case cooling. Better I go with GTX960
thumb.gif

Quote:

None issue with these generation of gpus.
Thought so. Thanks
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
20,154 Posts
The higher the oc - the better. like i said, we have same mobo and mine oc's my thuban to 4.5GHz for benching. Yes, get a good cooler like the Cooler Master 212. I run my Phenom II as a quad at 3.8GHz and it idles at 28C. Never bothered checking load 'cause my ambient is low. I got mine paired with an old HD 7950.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Planning on upgrading CPU anytime soon? Even still you could probably go with a 950 and not even notice the difference. I don't think there is much point in the 4GB 960 because nVidia really gimped the card which is why a 950 is so damn close in performance.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
You know the new GPU's are due out in just a few months? So you might want to think about waiting to see what comes out?

I have a Strix 960 and love it, but the 380 does seem to nudge it out a bit. If your really looking to get the most FPS for the budget buck then you might want to consider a 380, but imo I would think you would probably be plenty happy with the 960, and out of the two you listed I would say the Strix since I have experience with it.

What size if your PSU?

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by core unlocker View Post

How about going to 4.0GHz? With aftermarket air cooler?
Hmmm. Power and heat was my concern too. 960 is 120W whereas R9 380 is 190W. A big 70W difference. Plus my CPU is a power hound @ 125W with OC it will further go up. So again I need to worry about case cooling. Better I go with GTX960
thumb.gif

Thought so. Thanks
smile.gif
power difference is 40w

but there are incoming vidoe cards on 2016 Q2

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smanci View Post

Yea you can cherry pick reviews but that doesn't really help OP huh?
rolleyes.gif
gaming power consumption is cherry picking? it varies from game to game.but if he can wait , then the incoming video cards on q2 2016 are a good choice

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smanci View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

power difference is 40w
Yea you can cherry pick reviews but that doesn't really help OP huh?
rolleyes.gif
It's not cherry picking it's fact finding and it is very relevant to the OP since it was stated that the 380 is probably "too much" TDP when in reality it is a minimal concern and probably the better FPS per dollar choice.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemama1956 View Post

Planning on upgrading CPU anytime soon? Even still you could probably go with a 950 and not even notice the difference. I don't think there is much point in the 4GB 960 because nVidia really gimped the card which is why a 950 is so damn close in performance.
CPU upgrade..Nah. I don't think I can get any better performer for my mobo supporting only AM3 socket. What better can I get than my 965BE? Anyways no point in upgrade to hexa core phenoms now.
The reason I'm considering 960 4GB is because strangely 4GB ASUS and MSI models on new egg are cheaper than 2GB!
specool.gif

Are you saying even after I overclock my CPU it's not worth it to get 960? Still 950 will do?
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnad View Post

You know the new GPU's are due out in just a few months? So you might want to think about waiting to see what comes out?

I have a Strix 960 and love it, but the 380 does seem to nudge it out a bit. If your really looking to get the most FPS for the budget buck then you might want to consider a 380, but imo I would think you would probably be plenty happy with the 960, and out of the two you listed I would say the Strix since I have experience with it.

What size if your PSU?
Yes. Nvdia's pascal is on the way. But I think the new lineup will be much more costlier with HBM2 and who knows what other gimps!
tongue.gif

I am not completely sure if waiting is worth for me. Considering the fact that I'm upgrading my 6 year old system there is a possibility that my system may not be able to utilize all those new features.
doh.gif

Strix! Yeah I kind of love asus products!
thumb.gif

PSU, planning get 650W.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:

Yes. Nvdia's pascal is on the way. But I think the new lineup will be much more costlier with HBM2 and who knows what other gimps!
tongue.gif

I am not completely sure if waiting is worth for me. Considering the fact that I'm upgrading my 6 year old system there is a possibility that my system may not be able to utilize all those new features.
doh.gif

Strix! Yeah I kind of love asus products!
thumb.gif

PSU, planning get 650W.
low end products wont use HBM

·
Registered
253 Posts
i was rolling on 955 @ 4 ghz, dying light made me overclock 2 4.2 and replace my 660 with a gigabyte 960 4gb. its ok yes its worth getting the 960 but the cpu is the bottleneck, still works out ok though. when i got my 8320e i had 2 overclock it past 4ghz to get it 2 perform as good in games as my 955 @4.2, its now sitting at 4.5 and its an ok cpu. overclocking a 965be u got make sure u got high end cooling and a 960 helps due to the low thermals so the combination is quite a good match, at the end of the day their is all ways gona be a bottleneck some where and i think a phenom x4 at 4.2 is still a decent 1080p cpu which is capable of hitting over 30fps in every game.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Quote:

1. My CPU is legendary AMD phenom II series 965BE C3 clocked at stock 3.4GHz. I want to know how it will affect my GPU performance and is buying 960 really worth it for me?
=>

2. Let's say I overclock my CPU to 4.0GHz. Then again, Is buying 960 really worth it for me?
=>

=>

=>

5. Finally what max FPS I can expect with my config considering GPU as gtx960?
=>

Hoping for as usual great answers and opinions from you guys!
thumb.gif
1. on games where cpu matters say dying light or crysis 3 the cpu overclock matters lots, going from 3.8-4.2 is a big difference that can change the fps on say crysis 3 max setting from 20-25 on 3.8ghz to 40 fps+ @4.2. not many games need that though and crysis 3 will still be playable @ 3.8 just medium settings and a 960 4gb might only use 60% power and performance.

2.yes anywhere up 2 a 980 or 390x is great, it only matters if u are cpu bottlenecked.

3. yes your right the 380x 4gb (i think) is a really good mid ranged card but it really depends on your computers thermal limits, eg. when i was running a 470 gtx (240w) the heat stopped me overclocking my 955 past 3.7, with 660 (180-200w) could just hit 4.2ghz. my 960 (140w) help oc my 8320e lots. im running 2 fractal designs as intake fans on 600 rpm with 1 on my cpu, my out take fan is a scythe gentle typhoon which is plugged into the cpu fan header so when my cpu gets hot the out take fan speeds up while the cpu fan stays @ 600 rpm, if i was stuck on a 965be you would need a better cooling solution than that even with a 960 because it is very important 2 get the max cpu clock u can, i work in a very tight thermal envelope to reduce sound, im at 12db while gaming which is insanely quite, most systems even water cooled hit over 20db, if i need more cooling i just turn the fan profile 2 1200 rpm but the cpu gets hot quickly when @ 100% @4.2 and needs a hi end solution, my gelid thing pushes it to the limit and ive very happy with that cooler, a hyper evo 212 might be a bit better but i would still get aftermarket fans mainly 2 reduce the noise rather than have faster fans though.

4. no, dont worry about it, totally ignore it.

5. in dying light max settings patch 1.6ish my 955 @ 4.2 cpu maxed at around 40fps minimum, was real close between the 955 cpu and 960 4gb, both hit 100% at different points in the game.

tbh upgrading my cpu has made me feel like im future proofed till 4k, i dont get many extra fps in games but it runs @ 60-70% usage in most games so ive all ways got a bit of performance left over 4 background programs. whats your ram like? ive seen 1 or 2 games hit over 8gb usage, 8gb should be ok though.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Get a R9 series card. Dx12 support with the low CPU overhead will make the Daneb smash face in games. The Phenom II does extremely well in Hitman. Nvidia on the other hand doesn't get the nifty features yet. But you might have to settle for a 1060 for that...

·
Registered
782 Posts
I had a Phenom 965 for 4 years. The GTX 960 will run fine with it. Getting a bit old and slow now but will still do the job OK if you don't mind turning some detail down depending on the game. PCIe 2.0 vs 3.0 makes hardly any difference unless SLI or Crossfire.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I still don't understand buying something based on TDP and worrying about heat. If your rig is too hot then you fix it, not gimp it with a lesser component. There are a vast array of cooling solutions these days, more than we have ever had before, so with proper planning and cooling heat shouldn't be a reason to buy or not to buy imo.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnad View Post

I still don't understand buying something based on TDP and worrying about heat. If your rig is too hot then you fix it, not gimp it with a lesser component. There are a vast array of cooling solutions these days, more than we have ever had before, so with proper planning and cooling heat shouldn't be a reason to buy or not to buy imo.
I don't know how it's gimping to get only marginally slower product that probably plays better with his current CPU.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts