Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source

Quote:
Confidential internal Google and Apple memos, buried within piles of court dockets and reviewed by PandoDaily, clearly show that what began as a secret cartel agreement between Apple's Steve Jobs and Google's Eric Schmidt to illegally fix the labor market for hi-tech workers, expanded within a few years to include companies ranging from Dell, IBM, eBay and Microsoft, to Comcast, Clear Channel, Dreamworks, and London-based public relations behemoth WPP. All told, the combined workforces of the companies involved totals well over a million employees.

According to multiple sources familiar with the case, several of these newly named companies were also subpoenaed by the DOJ for their investigation. A spokesperson for Ask.com confirmed that in 2009-10 the company was investigated by the DOJ, and agreed to cooperate fully with that investigation. Other companies confirmed off the record that they too had been subpoenaed around the same time.
Court documents that were submitted are located at the end of the article if you want to see the extent of the companies involved.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Wow, pretty shady dealings going on. Nothing is going to happen to them, the government will slap them on the wrist and they'll agree to pay XYZ money and the government will hush up about it.

·
Adclock.net
3,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoob View Post

Wow, pretty shady dealings going on. Nothing is going to happen to them, the government will slap them on the wrist and they'll agree to pay XYZ money and the government will hush up about it.
google is too big for the government to hurt, even if they wanted to

·
OG OC
2,233 Posts
Just more proof that these modern "super-corporations" believe they are above laws and immune to any responsibility under these laws. Right now the fact that the economy continues to tank is making these companies even more bold, enacting policies and labor cuts that boost stockholders' profits in the short-term, but absolutely cripple the people that are working for them, financially. I don't think there's been a more dire outlook for middle class Americans in our history.

In the last 10 years, I have personally seen two Fortune 500 companies literally gut themselves when they were doing okay financially, just to boost their stockholders' short-term gains. Layoffs, hour cuts, added responsibilities with no compensation, wage cuts...

I have a full time job. I can't work more than 32 hours a week; that's all I'm allowed.

There's something really, really wrong with this system.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theturbofd View Post

Can someone give me a TLDR about what this means?
Pretty much these tech companies are colluding together to price fix wages/salary/pay. I.E. company XYZ does not hire company ABC's employees in a pact agreement in order to keep employee's from leaving the company for greener pastures. Usually when a company wants better employees they'll try to recruit from another company i.e. pretty much steal employees from another company by offering them a much more lucrative income and incentives. But if companies collude together and fix salary for jobs and agree that they should not try to recruit from each other then employees get stuck at their job forever. Why move to a job to do even more work and accept more responsibility for the same amount of pay? That's what they're basically doing, keeping the employee from earning the most top dollar they can with their skills and cutting in their investors on the profit margins gained by colluding. This is pretty much illegal, so some companies seemed to have settled out of court as it is cheaper to do than battling it out in court because of legal fee costs and time.

Get the picture now? Pretty much if you're an employee of ABC company and want to work at XYZ company and you're on the blacklist they will not hire you. This makes for a less competitive job market where top dollar buys you the best employees you can get. So pretty much the companies retain the best employees for the smallest amount of pay possible. Good for the company and bad for the employee.

This is as TLDR; as I can make it.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

Yeah as said, nothing is going to be done, and it will continue to happen even if the government intervene.
so surely that's just another cog they remove and another step closer to their demise as corporations? If there is no talent or bored talent that cant leave your products get crappier, more of the same and more expensive as there is no rival across the industry.

its a short term gain, long term loss.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Globalization is strengthening international corporations relative to American and other workers as well as relative to American government.

We are increasingly seeing more and more behaviors on the parts of corporations in America we usually associate with third world countries.

·
Politically incorrect
9,548 Posts
Fascism and free market capitalism at their best. Now I'd like those who ignorantly supported the disease called free market capitalism to come here and defend it.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
I'm probably alone on this, but I don't see any issue with this. Agreeing not to poach from each other is not the same as agreeing not to pay certain positions more than a certain amount. Nothing I read said that a guy from apple cannot get a job at Google just that google cannot cold call looking to poach employees. I see this as no different than a company making a new hire sign a do not compete order.

Unless I missed it and they were agreeing on actual wages I think this is totally silly. Where is this law suit US or Europe, I saw it kept mentioning the DOJ but wasn't sure.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
how long until we have to start choosing which company we pledge allegience to?

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t00sl0w View Post

how long until we have to start choosing which company we pledge allegience to?
Companies require do not compete docs all the time. As long as employees who did not sign one of those are free to pursue opportunities wherever they are I see no Issues with companies agreeing not to poach from each other.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.walker36 View Post

Companies require do not compete docs all the time. As long as employees who did not sign one of those are free to pursue opportunities wherever they are I see no Issues with companies agreeing not to poach from each other.
and those companies tend to usually be a contractor working for a seperate comapany..."dont hire my contractors to work for you full time." even the employees of those companies have to sign similar things.

the issue here is the wage/benefit loc to remove competition.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by royo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

Fascism and free market capitalism at their best.
Troll or just really stupid?
No consistent and not always wrong

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post

I don't think this has to do with "capitalism" etc explicitely. This sort of greed and scandal happens regardless of the economic or political structure. It comes purely from uneducated and unmotivated consumers and employees. Now that this list is out, employees that work for these companies should quit and find a different job, or create a company of their own. Consumers are at fault for rewarding companies like EA who continually produce horrible products, that dig for more money, but continually rank at the bottom of the barrel as a company.

But unfortunately, it wont happen. Those with the most power to change anything(consumers and employees) wont do squat.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb222 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post

I don't think this has to do with "capitalism" etc explicitely. This sort of greed and scandal happens regardless of the economic or political structure. It comes purely from uneducated and unmotivated consumers and employees. Now that this list is out, employees that work for these companies should quit and find a different job, or create a company of their own. Consumers are at fault for rewarding companies like EA who continually produce horrible products, that dig for more money, but continually rank at the bottom of the barrel as a company.

But unfortunately, it wont happen. Those with the most power to change anything(consumers and employees) wont do squat.
We simply need more worker protection in America...

I don't have an inherent problem with no compete, I do have a problem with no poach. If we move too far beyond that we'll venture into taboo subjects which will never be settled here.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.