Overclock.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a problem on a disk following a partitioning operation done with kde partition manager.
It is a 256GB SSD that already contains some partitions including, the main one, from about 165 GB on which a Windows 10 is installed with some software and data, but most of it empty.
The operation had to resize this main partition of 165 gb (dev / sda4 in the photo) by about 20GB, which it managed to do, but it slowed down a lot on the movement of this new partition. At some point the operation gave an error and stopped.
Now I find this new partition (unallocated - unknown - from 19.53GB in the photo) which was still needed, but the main partition, correctly resized to 144GB, always turns out to be dev / sda4 but as unknown and therefore no longer as ntsf. So, I can no longer use this partition, nor to start the present windows, nor above all to read it to recover some present data.

Do you know if there is a way to restore this partition as functional or at least as readable to make a copy and paste of some data of a folder?

· Registered
21 Posts
This is exactly why it's not recommended to mess with partitions on a "live" drive with data and also to make current backups before starting to do anything with a disk.

You can try to use a program like Testdisk or iBoyosft to get back the partition. This tutorial will be helpful.

· 10 year OCN Vet
3,445 Posts
As long as you haven't written anything to that partition it is common that returning it to the exact size and type will bring back all your data just as it was, If that were for some reason to fail it would be EZPZ to use the data recovery feature common to many partition manger apps, to recover everything. Sorry to be blunt but it looks like you tried to do deep work without any research. Lesson learned I hope. RTFM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.