Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have a problem. I have an 80GB hard drive partitioned to drive C and D. Drive C is 5GB for windows components only, and Drive D is for my personal files.
i recently downloaded a 1.7GB rar file from and it went directly to Drive D. Now when i want to unzip the files, and extract them to D:\\ new folder, my Drive C looses space. Its a freshly installed windows and before i tried to unzip the files from a folder in D to an other folder to D drive C had 2.2 GB and afterwards its 325 Mb left!!! i dont know how come temporary files or whatever took so much space, and i tried to reboot, defrag the drive to gain my space back .... is there anyway to debug or anything? i dont wanna re install windows because it takes too much time ... Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Well, that's the whole point of making a partition for windows [email protected] least in my opinion. I have one 80GB HD seperated into 8 10GB sections for different O/S. Sometimes, if it is a key windows file, it will get instantly copied to an associated directory. Try to root out the files and try again. Make sure you gove it a definite extension.....i wish i could help more...but i know more about UNIX based O/S sry man.....

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
i may be wrong but windows may need to write a temp file to the c partition, no idea how to fix it. you could also type in whatever the error is in google, sometimes there is an answer there.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
I assume youre using winrar but it could be something like 7zip, etc.

anyway, if you havent changed any settings in your archive program, the program is using your C drive for its temp needs... so youll have to open up the settings dialog and tell it to use something like D:\emp for its temp folder

your current temp directory is probaby C:\\Documents and Settings\\Username\\Local Settings\\Temp... so clean that out and you should have your space back

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, TheNUT, thank you for your tips, i really didnt have to reinstall windows all i had to do is go thru safe mode and delete c:\\doc...\\username\\local settings\emp.... i got 2gb back hah! thanks again and now i am going to try to convert my winrar temp destination to D instead of C ... Thanks again

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
You should of made your C:/ Systems drive 20 gig or at the least 15 gig. 5 gig is way too small for windowsXP.
You need room in your systems drive for some app's. Defragging is one of em.

Partition magic can help you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.