Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard is it to resize a partition using powerquest partition magic 8 cause when i fist got my rig win xp wouldnt allow me to create a partition bigger then 121gb and i got a 200gb and is it safe cause i dont wanna format

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThE_GeNeRaL

how hard is it to resize a partition using powerquest partition magic 8 cause when i fist got my rig win xp wouldnt allow me to create a partition bigger then 121gb and i got a 200gb and is it safe cause i dont wanna format

You BIOS must allow you to creat a large partition, update your BIOS to enable the use of large HDD sectors. THen instead of using partition magic use the partitioning utility which is included in Knoppix to resize your NTFS partition.

I trust linux apps with large scale jobs over windows apps.

·
Banned
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nah i dont wanna flash my bios cause last time it corrupted
heres a screen shot of partion magic is it safe to resize is there a possibility to lose everything cause i dont want that

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

nah i dont wanna flash my bios cause last time it corrupted
heres a screen shot of partion magic is it safe to resize is there a possibility to lose everything cause i dont want that

If you don't update your BIOS, your system cannot use a HDD larger then 130GB.

As for the safety of the app, it is safe.
The reason why I said use the knoppix utility is because Knoppix is a CD booted OS, it does not activate or use your HDD, so when you do resize there will be no files on the HDD that are in use, I always take extra caution.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

no need for the bios flash i did it on partition magic now its at its proper size

Nice, good job. When I get done backing up my system I am going to try the resizing app I was talking about. Do you know why your system wasn't allowing larger partitions?

·
Banned
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its just crappy windows i remember when i was installing the os i created the partition then when i got to windows it was coming up as 120gb very strange

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

its just crappy windows i remember when i was installing the os i created the partition then when i got to windows it was coming up as 120gb very strange

That explains it, it was the microsoft programming...lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts