Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some web sites to find parts like evaps and compressors. I am having trouble finding them. I am looking for BIG evaps etc.

- 2 Ton Copeland A/C Compressor (is this a good one?)
- A-Frame Evap (as condensor?)
- Small Evap to chill res

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
What kind of evap? For a chiller you just make your own out of tubing. For a DD, there's nothing that will handle an i7, if that's what you're after. If you don't know about under the ice already you probably shouldn't be building. I know that sounds like a dick thing to say but I kinda feel it's true. I mean, of course you could be first an HVAC tech and second an OC'r. In which case I take my comment back.

·
Banned
8,570 Posts
You are honestly wasting your time with such large parts on a water chiller. The gain you get from having such a powerful compressor and a large condenser isn't going to justify the additional cost. An A/C unit around 4000 to 6000btu is PLENTY. An i7 will easily overtake a chiller. You need a very strong single stage direct die setup for an i7 if you plan 24/7. Otherwise, be a weekend warrior and get a cascade or a cpu pot.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is up with all this "i7 is too hot for cascade etc." stuff? I am pretty sure an i7 won't overtake a chiller, especially if it has a decent reservoir. I will buy that it may overtake a SS, but that is a whole other animal than a chiller. I still want to know if I use an A-Frame Evap as a condenser

·
Banned
8,570 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockNRolla
View Post

What is up with all this "i7 is too hot for cascade etc." stuff? I am pretty sure an i7 won't overtake a chiller, especially if it has a decent reservoir. I will buy that it may overtake a SS, but that is a whole other animal than a chiller. I still want to know if I use an A-Frame Evap as a condenser

So you accept that an i7 will overtake most single stages, yet you refute to the fact that a chiller wont? LOLWUT!? A single stage phase is MUCH MUCH MUCH stronger than any chiller on cpu cooling. Maybe if said chiller had DICE I could see your point, but I think you don't know wth you are talking about.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockNRolla
View Post

A 1 ton condensing unit has a capacity of around 2kW to 3kW at AC temperatures(50F to 60F). No i7 is putting out that kind of heat.

correct me if i am wrong, but isn't 1 ton 12,000btu? 12,000/3.41214163= 3516.8528452905983272446988081207 watts to be exact if my calculations are right.

why do you need such a large compressor anyway? 2 tons is absolutely MASSIVE, i guess at least you know your compressor will be able to handle the load but its overkill(id hate to see your electric bill) i recommend for a single stage to be 1/2hp. so lets see here. 1 hp is 745.699872watts and a 2 ton compressor is about 7000watts. so thats what? a 9 or 10hp compressor right there?

so what exactly is your plans with this unit? unless you are using this for a ridiculously large cascade or a giant fluorinert chiller or something this seems way past overkill even.

·
Registered
97 Posts
1 TON = 1 HP in almost all senses.
BTU isn't the best rating as that is more correlated to temperature.
Do not use an evaporator coil either, they are rated for MUCH lower pressures, and are plumbed much differently.

·
4kfan
4,228 Posts
2 Ton Copeland A/C Compressor im almost 100% sure that this is a scroll compressor and ofcourse it is for R22 aplication. scroll compressors are horrible at medium temperature aplications.. medium temp 30*-45*f. a 2 ton compressor is massive to cool any type of cpu. you will need a very big evap. or a chip that is putting out incredible heat to load that compressor because if you dont load it up the only thing that it will do is get flooded with liquid refrigerant and ofcourse it will only run for about 4 minutes until it mechanicaly fails. you could load the compressor by setting up a hot gas bypass valve also known as an unloader you will need a little bit of knolage to get this thing setup right. one more thing.. you will need a massive condenser for this compressor just like the one outside of your house if u have a split system in your house. even if you get everything right and sized properly.. temps of no lowere than 50*f is what you will be getting, alot of noise and heat and a big electrical bill.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts