Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am one of those guys that bought the Zotac 980 ti amp! extreme because I'm a big sissy and didn't feel comfortable overclocking a gpu on my own. However, I'm fine with hardware and ripping my card apart, thus I'm thinking about getting a universal EK waterblock and it says I need passive cooling, is that what they mean: http://koolance.com/video-ram-heat-sinks or are there better options?

I of course would prefer a full coverage block but I don't think that's going to happen. I've got 2 of those cards and in my r5 case they heat up big time (they're honestly too close together) and end up making a lot of noise defeating the purpose of buying the r5 in the first place. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Yes, that's what you use.

You can Google Image GPU VRM heatsink

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,508 Posts
You will probably want some type of fan setup on the VRM as well. Heatsinks don't do much without moving air. If you have good flow in your case, that will play a huge part.

·
Registered
28 Posts
better option: active cooling: Alphacool MCX waterblocks, if you REALLY want to play around with your card
devil-smiley-019.gif

In the past, there were mounting plates avaiable. Don't know why they stopped selling/producing them for newer cards. You could either make your own plate or glue them to the chips. I've bought some of them (including fittings and tubing), but gave up making that custom build plate and i don't want to glue. There are different versions: pure copper, nickel plated and angled.
They would be overkill, if you're not OCing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts