Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone think this laptop is worth-while? i just bought is as a recommendation from one of the salesman at best buy and off of my little knowledge of AMD processors. i kinda like the thing, but i'm curious if i can get a better one for less than 1000 dollars, well around 900 dollars... the dual core is nice, i've done some viral clean up along with some adware removal and it worked out nice, fast, and clean while continuing to surf the web.. when attempting the same application with my desktop, i usually get a little lagg. so i'm thinkin that the dual core is good... the graphics sux compared to my 6800 ultra OC by BFG Tech, that i've recently burnt out and RMA'd to a fresh one.. lol.. new water cooling kit.. any recs on another laptop? something from best buy. i've only been approved of a 1200 dollar limit.. thanx.

·
Retired
2,445 Posts
Just to let you know that CPU-Z was taken while cool'n'quit was activated, so its only showing half of the CPU speed. But thats a nice proc.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubnotub1

Just to let you know that CPU-Z was taken while cool'n'quit was activated, so its only showing half of the CPU speed. But thats a nice proc.

yea i noticed that too. i thought that maybe something wuz wrong with cpuz.. how do i disable cool'n'quite? maybe that's why my games are running like crap..

·
Retired
2,445 Posts
I wouldnt disable it on a laptop, it is used increase battery life by lowering the clock speeds and voltage when the CPU is idling. It will not effect your gaming. When you start a game your proc will go back to 1.6 ghz.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubnotub1

I wouldnt disable it on a laptop, it is used increase battery life by lowering the clock speeds and voltage when the CPU is idling. It will not effect your gaming. When you start a game your proc will go back to 1.6 ghz.

good idea. i wuz thinking that i'd have to enable and disable it. yea, i just noticed it after you said something. i wuz just surfing and cool'n'quite wuz active, then i started winamps visualization and it started to become warmer.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does anyone know if i can replace the video card in this laptop (dv2125nr) or add in a pci-e video card being that i have two pci-e slots in this laptop (maybe SLI?) and then disable the onboard video? when i wuz looking at everest home, i noticed that the video card is a pci 6150go... does that mean that i can remove that one and replace it with another like said above??? also, does the chip have an unlocked multiplier so that i can use the full bandwidth of the 667 ram that is on the motherboard? the ram is running at 533mhz now... any answers?

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
no i don't think you can are you sure there are two pci express slots? the only things i have seen liek that are express card slots and those are just like PCMCIA slots except they connect using a PCI express 1x slot

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Its an ok laptop, the one thing you have to know is that the turion X2's have terrible battery life compared to intels core duo's. You get good performance, good price, but about 1hr 30min - 2hrs battery life on those things tops. I'll have a look around to see if any come to mind. I remember they use to sell an Acer laptop here that was an x2 turion and had an X1600 gfx card in it for around $1200 CAD. You can't replace the video card in a laptop, its a pci-e card but its integrated into the motherboard. There are no external options either as none of the external ports can provided the bandwidth needed for a video card.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
ok dude

i had the choice of a dv2000 or a dv5000
the dv6000 has a T5500 C2D w/2GB RAM and intec craphics 945i

this thing kicks arse... im pretty sure all best buys have simalarly configured computers nation wide.

go see what you can find

and the dv6000 was priced at $1050, i got it for free as my ZV5000 died on me

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834117275

Yes its a sony and I know that these boards are full of sony haters, but they do make a pretty decent laptop. I work in a store repair center and I've seen almost every single brand of laptop come through here and I've probably seen sony's come through here the least. There are a few negatives to this particular laptop, mostly being that it doesn't have a dvdrw and I'm not sure about the video cards since it says it has a gma and an nvidia card in it. However it will give you excellent battery life because of the core duo and the small screen.

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgins
View Post

ok dude

i had the choice of a dv2000 or a dv5000
the dv6000 has a T5500 C2D w/2GB RAM and intec craphics 945i

this thing kicks arse... im pretty sure all best buys have simalarly configured computers nation wide.

go see what you can find

and the dv6000 was priced at $1050, i got it for free as my ZV5000 died on me

yeah i have that also and i love it except for the crappy intel graphics i wish i could upgrade. i might have to get a new motherboard to get new graphics wich is anoying because everything else in this laptop is amazing. i wish they would make express card graphics card because those connect to the computer through a PCI-e 1x slot which would be good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
i actually bought the DV 2000 and had problems with it so i returned it and bought the dv 6000 for $50 more because it was the last one they had and it gave me errors every time i tried to open any kind of program.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the feed back.. i'll have to hold on to this laptop as it's passed the return policy, but i did buy the warranty and hopefully it will break down four times within the next three years and i can get my money back... but yea, i had to take out media center because of the crashing and install pro.. come to mention, this laptop does crash when inserting cd's occasionally, i'll have to bring it to best buy next time and let them know...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts