Overclock.net banner

pay software better than free?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so my connection keeps dropping at my apt and people are trying to tell me its a virus or something when its obviously not because im using AVG, spybot and ad aware, so im being told that pay software is better, WELL *** how would it be better if they all find the same things? im being told to use panda titanium, but ive read its like norton a resource hog takes up 70mbs or something...what do you all think?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I have used panda and still have a number of sealed copies in the shop but i use AVG Free that says something i believe

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Norton sucks.
Panda is ok.
Kaspersky is pretty good.
Etrust is pretty good.
AVG is pretty good and free.
Avast is pretty good and free.
You need at least 2-3 antivirus programs to do any good.
ANd does your connection keep dropping from the modem or from things such as msn.
If its the programs that its occuring on then that means somethings eating your bandwith.
Which means you have adware/spyware/trojan/virus.

And no free doesnt mean worse or better.
It depends on the programs being compared as to which is better.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by metalkobra

OK, so my connection keeps dropping at my apt and people are trying to tell me its a virus or something when its obviously not because im using AVG, spybot and ad aware, so im being told that pay software is better, WELL *** how would it be better if they all find the same things? im being told to use panda titanium, but ive read its like norton a resource hog takes up 70mbs or something...what do you all think?

Nothing good is free
, shareware is ok, but you need to pay for the really good stuff, with weekly updates.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
1. i thought having multiple viris scanners was bad.
2. avg and avast have regular updates for viruses dont they?
3. nothing is free is overused and not explained properly. (at least he said good)

·
Banned
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AVG has daily updates practically and no its not dropping from a router, its at the apts i live at, its a LAN so its just plug in and youre connected, i KNOW it isnt me, it cant be, if i had a virus AVG would pop up with VIRUS DETECTED and stuff -_-, so then they try to tell me its cause of playing games that im gonna get a virus that way and i laughed my ass off at that one too.

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Its not good to have the resident blockers or w/e they are called on at the same time.
But as a scanner they are good to have multiple ones.
It doesnt really matter if its explained.
Its explained just as much as the pay versions.

If its not you then theres too much traffic on the lan causing lack of bandwith to you. Causing timeouts and errors connecting etc.

·
Banned
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweako_420

Its not good to have the resident blockers or w/e they are called on at the same time.
But as a scanner they are good to have multiple ones.
It doesnt really matter if its explained.
Its explained just as much as the pay versions.

If its not you then theres too much traffic on the lan causing lack of bandwith to you. Causing timeouts and errors connecting etc.

I know it isnt me, just to make sure it wasnt any games i didnt play any at all yesterday but when i tried to download something it went right down...im tired of it, im just gonna move out.

·
Banned
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweako_420

LoL that would be the best solution.

Yeah no shat, my roomates never clean up either, and ive told them only a million times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts