Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front of my PC-75 Lian-Li has 2 80mm intake fans but they are pulling air though a bunch of little holes in the front of the case so I was thinking I should use a dremel or some tool and cut out a big rectangle and put some kind of cool looking mesh or something that will improve airflow. When I feel the air the fans are blowing and pull the front off I can feel it incrase by a fair amount so I know this will make a big difference. What should I use to cut it and what should I use to cover it. Maby just drill 4 holes for each side and put one of those cool lazer cut fan grills on it? Im kind of worried about cutting it because ive never really modded a case before and I dont want to wreck the front of my case because I dont know where to get a new front. Also If i cut it out and use some kind of sanding attachment in the dremel to smooth it out how would I get the corners to be good?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I think its fine the way it is, i mean you can clean it easier......no need for the grill, but it you like the look than go right ahead

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
it will increase air flow cutting out larger holes, and you can use a dremel or jigsaw for this...and i would say get some fancy little fan grills to cover it, just make sure u measure it out atleast twice and make sure that it will look semetrical, then check once more to make sure it perfect, the take a dremel to it or jigsaw(with metal cutting blade)... oh and do this AWAY form the rest of the case, you do NOT want any metal shavings anywhere near the computer parts!!!
good luck

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought it might look cooler if I got some kind of wire mesh at the hardware store and spraypainted it black or something and put a 4'' green light above and below the mesh so it glowed. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by napkin

The front of my PC-75 Lian-Li has 2 80mm intake fans but they are pulling air though a bunch of little holes in the front of the case so I was thinking I should use a dremel or some tool and cut out a big rectangle and put some kind of cool looking mesh or something that will improve airflow. When I feel the air the fans are blowing and pull the front off I can feel it incrase by a fair amount so I know this will make a big difference. What should I use to cut it and what should I use to cover it. Maby just drill 4 holes for each side and put one of those cool lazer cut fan grills on it? Im kind of worried about cutting it because ive never really modded a case before and I dont want to wreck the front of my case because I dont know where to get a new front. Also If i cut it out and use some kind of sanding attachment in the dremel to smooth it out how would I get the corners to be good?

Hi Napkin,

Here's a pic of my first modded case. A Lian Li Pc-10 (beige one)

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&i...70&pid=1152193

I don't own this case anymore, but it was fun doing my first mod. If you look at the bottom of the case, you'll see where I cut out the plastic around the inlet fans and then added blue plexiglas with regular fan grills for better air flow. After that I added cold cathode lights inside the case. I could have also added case fans with with lights, but at the time there were no such thing. I also cut out the side panel and added the blue plexiglas window there. Wanting more air flow, I added a 120mm fan on top. This mod was completed back in 2002. In 2003 the case was given to my church for use as a computer projection rig for songs on the big screen.

I hope this helped, :)

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Cut out a a cirle and install some fan grills you can make them UV reactive if you want

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
use the fiberglass cut off wheels with a dremmel
or the metal cutting jigsaw blade

CLAMP IT IF URE GONNA USE THE JUGSAW OR IT MIGHT BEND THE METAL OR MAKE IT NOT FUN TO CUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a grill would look nice
replace the fans with LED ONES

the variable bit attachment for dremmel cozts $20ish bit works real nice
and a 3" corle cutter iis the right size for a 80mm fan

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finished the first stage of the cut but Im gonna wait a little while before I sand it. Should I use a sanding attachment thing in the dremmel and how should I get the corners because a circle sander wont make square corners. Also should I get a ruler and a dry erase marker and make a line so I sand it straight or what? Im a total noob at case modding.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Hi Napkin,

Do you have access to a router?? When making the same cuts as you with my old plastic facia, I used a router. You could do the same. If not then using the dremel will do. Clamp a straight edge on the front side of facia. Position the dremel and use the stright edge as your guide. You'll need to take your time and measure with the dremel against the straight edge to get the proper location. They sell or you may have the milling bit for alum that's made for the dremel. Cut down each side and get close to the ends but don't mill there, if you want a square corner. That will have to be made with a good machinist file. Take your time, and you'll get an excellent result.

PS > How's the switch??

I hope this helped, :)

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
no offense, but you totally messed up the trademark lian-li look by doing that! The airflow is not noticeable and you made ur case look likes its missing something. It hurts me just seing it

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
take some sort of wire mesh and put it in between the internal and external part of the case
and smooth out those edges

it would look much cleaner

that like inch about the fans looks kinda bad

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol i no im going to clean up the edges

i havent installed the switch im too lazy to install it....going to do it soon sure it will work great

1 - 14 of 14 Posts