Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this just started happening recently...mostly its the rundll32.exe taking up cpu resources and just say firefox is open and WMP is running..when i close them they will still show up in the task manager processes tab and be taking up 100% cpu usage...ive ran spybot S&D..adaware 2007 and they arnt really picking up much...is it a virus?..what can i do..i hate to reformat because i just got my pc the way i like it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,264 Posts
you could try hitman pro. basically its a collection of several anti virus/ad/spyware programs. most of them are trials though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,110 Posts
You have 50 Processes running for one. Thats insane, you should never have that many running.

You probably have a virus, either way dude run a "msconfig" and get some off that stuff off your startup! 50 Processors is alot of processing powering.

I bet you would easily gain a average 15FPS by removing unneeded programs off your startup.

I also see no virus protection on your computer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,338 Posts
is it like that when you first log into Windows?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,264 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Murlocke
View Post

You have 50 Processes running for one. Thats insane, you should never have that many running.

You probably have a virus, either way dude run a "msconfig" and get some off that stuff off your startup! 50 Processors is alot of processing powering.

I bet you would easily gain a average 15FPS by removing unneeded programs off your startup.

meh. i run 67, only with photoshop, winamp and firefox. y'aint gonna tell me they take 20 processes.
EDIT: its vista though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,440 Posts
Process File: msiexec.exe or msiexec
Process Name: Windows Installer Component

Description:
msiexec.exe belongs to the Windows Installer Component and is used to install new programs that use Windows Installer package files (MSI). This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

http://www.liutilities.com/products/...brary/msiexec/

Are you installing anything? I wonder if windows update is a part of this.

Like Murlocke have said, you have too many process running.

Boot into safe mode and scan for malware.
-AVG Anti Virus
-Ad-Aware SE
-CCleaner
-Spybot Search & Destory
-Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No im not installing anything and its not like this when i start up...only when i run something and then close it...Also my pc runs like 38 processes normally and its not slow...I do have Antivir but it seems some virus has come through. Ive tried Ad-aware and Spybot, mostly spybot picks up quite a few things but they are like those cookies and and web search stuff or something...would a system restore help any?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,110 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by waqasr
View Post

No im not installing anything and its not like this when i start up...only when i run something and then close it...Also my pc runs like 38 processes normally and its not slow...I do have Antivir but it seems some virus has come through. Ive tried Ad-aware and Spybot, mostly spybot picks up quite a few things but they are like those cookies and and web search stuff or something...would a system restore help any?

If a virus got through and you just reformatted not to long ago you are most likely using the wrong anti-virus.

38 processes is still quite a bit. I'm sitting at 20, this is with firefox, trillian, and NOD32 running.

Thats most likely not spyware, thats either a virus or a corrupt windows file that is causing that.

I would recommend a reformat way before a system restore, system restore doesn't have a very high sucess rate in my experience. I've had a good 20% of them cause corruption. If I have a problem I reformat, I've given up on system restore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,095 Posts
u got spyware. run adaware & spybot to get rid of that "stuff" u been dl-ing. but i always recommend reformatting. wipe everything off for a clean install.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,366 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Murlocke
View Post

If a virus got through and you just reformatted not to long ago you are most likely using the wrong anti-virus.

38 processes is still quite a bit. I'm sitting at 20, this is with firefox, trillian, and NOD32 running.

Thats most likely not spyware, thats either a virus or a corrupt windows file that is causing that.

I would recommend a reformat way before a system restore, system restore doesn't have a very high sucess rate in my experience. I've had a good 20% of them cause corruption. If I have a problem I reformat, I've given up on system restore.

You have that rig and you still care that much about number of processes.


I'm on 82 currently and everything's still smooth. 47% memory is in use but oh well.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,674 Posts
You may want to check out blackviper.com for recommendations on services and the correct how to method to set them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,006 Posts
Virus.
Lol, I just noticed I have 10 instances of svchost.exe
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,110 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Emmanuel
View Post

Virus.
Lol, I just noticed I have 10 instances of svchost.exe

Don't you love vista? Heh.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,264 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Murlocke
View Post

Don't you love vista? Heh.


does it really matter? CPUs are plenty powerfull to not get loaded noticably.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top