Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
TechCrunch reported yesterday that popular third-party apps for the iPhone that do this have been removed from the iPhone App Store, including GV Mobile and VoiceCentral.

The reason given to the developer of GV Mobile was that the app duplicates iPhone features, such as making phone calls and sending SMS messages. Using GV Mobile, calls and texts go through Google Voice rather than AT&T's network, which leads anyone with a brain to suspect that the exclusive iPhone provider requested the apps' removal.
Source

First AT&T sloppily blocks entire sections of 4chan, and now they're not letting anyone use Google Voice. AT&T is having one heck of a week.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
[EDIT] Never mind, I see that the article suggests that AT&T may have asked for it to be removed. But they may have not. Didn't Apple have a problem with some other app by Google before?

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TriplePlay View Post
[EDIT] Never mind, I see that the article suggests that AT&T may have asked for it to be removed. But they may have not. Didn't Apple have a problem with some other app by Google before?
These apps weren't by google. They just made use of your Google voice account.

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TriplePlay View Post
Um, that's not AT&T's doing. Even the article says Apple.

AT&T controls the cellular network, but Apple controls the phones themselves and the app store, which is what would affect this. AT&T is not blocking the app, Apple is.

[EDIT] Although I see that the article suggests that AT&T may have asked for it to be removed. But they may have not, Apple had a problem with some other app by Google earlier, didn't they?
There would be no reason for Apple to block this in the first place as there wouldn't be a hit on sales from said apps. Pretty obvious that AT&T wanted it removed since it will have an impact on them.

So yes, Apple did block it since they have control over the app store but AT&T is probably the one who wanted gone in the first place.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KamuiRSX View Post
These apps weren't by google. They just made use of your Google voice account.
Ah.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marin View Post
There would be no reason for Apple to block this in the first place as there wouldn't be a hit on sales from said apps. Pretty obvious that AT&T wanted it removed since it will have an impact on them.
I read further and realized they were blaming AT&T, which I would expect. I edited my post. I barely skimmed it quickly and posted, then decided I should read it more carefully and edited my post

·
Registered
975 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by darthspartan View Post
LOL this is so funny just one more thing iphone users don't have. Google voice on my g1 rocks its like having 2 phone numbers.

Whatever helps you sleep at night

·
Premium Member
18,611 Posts
To be honest, whilst some blocking decisions may seem crazy, Apple and AT&T do need to protect their USP's and revenue stream which is fair enough.

They are not going to let other companies take what money they make post hardware sale (contracts, software downloads etc...).

Although, there are some decisions that weren't correct. I hope Spotify isn't one.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex98uk
View Post

To be honest, whilst some blocking decisions may seem crazy, Apple and AT&T do need to protect their USP's and revenue stream which is fair enough.

They are not going to let other companies take what money they make post hardware sale (contracts, software downloads etc...).

Although, there are some decisions that weren't correct. I hope Spotify isn't one.

I don't see how removing this app is going to protect them.

Quote:

Obviously, Apple didn't care for a long time that these apps duplicated the phone's features. After all, you can still get the Skype app to make and receive VoIP calls, and apps like TextFree and iText let you send and receive unlimited SMS texts without using AT&T's over-priced service ($10 a month for 200 messages in and out).

In fact, it's a silly move if it is AT&T's call (so to speak), since calls placed to a Google Voice number must forward to a real phone--like the iPhone.

·
Premium Member
18,611 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyHeaven
View Post

I don't see how removing this app is going to protect them.

Well, they must have a reason... otherwise they wouldn't block them. They must consider it to be some sort of risk to their business.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts