Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i switch on my pc it goes threw the motions then after welcome screen reboots.then i get message power failure. start in norm.or safe mode ,ect ect,i click norm & same thing happens ,after 3 or 4 attempts it eventually boots up, any ideas what could be wrong.

xp2600
xp home
1 gig ram
9700pro
via 400 mboard
160 hd

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThE_GeNeRaL

is it oced??

only slightley fsb was 166 now 169.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcham

when i switch on my pc it goes threw the motions then after welcome screen reboots.then i get message power failure. start in norm.or safe mode ,ect ect,i click norm & same thing happens ,after 3 or 4 attempts it eventually boots up, any ideas what could be wrong.

xp2600
xp home
1 gig ram
9700pro
via 400 mboard
160 hd

Try going into safe mode and performing a scandisk on your computer. Right click on My computer and click on the properties tab and find the scan disk and it will tell you it will perform the scan the next time the computer runs. Restart your computer and the scan disk should run.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThE_GeNeRaL

try clearing the cmos you might of change a wrong setting

how do i get to cmos

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Could be the PS (Power supply)! If you are close to it's max you may be getting those problems!

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shermstix

Definately a power supply problem!!! Get a big monster like the Turbo Cool 510 or Antec True 550!!!

Not necessarily, the mobo failures I have come actross have either left the comp where it sould not boot or where it made it to the windows initialization then reboot and kept the loop.

This issue is either a bad PSU, overloaded PSU or a fried mobo, try disconnecting unneeded component from the power one then start computer to see if the problem happens, then another and keep going until you only have the completely necessary components plugged in.

If that does not work check the rails on the PSU with a multimeter, for excessive fructuations.

If the fluctuations are not that bad, then take the mobo out and inspect it for burns or white spots on the bottom.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Hmmm, what that looks like to me is a simple virus that could be made in 15seconds.

Windows has a boot file that boots the only necessary on start up (mostly the welcome screen and network connection and a simple if for a login). A file could easily be attached to this welcome screen boot. And all it does is have fun with you so you think it's the PSU. It gives you maybe a base javascripted or vb or maybe even C popup window that when you click ok (probably your only choice) it kills the necessary csrss.exe. Then w00t your computer restarts. I don't know go more into it. Last time I checked though, a computer doesn't notify you when there is a lack of power... That would be a nice thing though
. And for a virus like that, I don't even think safemode by pass's it. Esspecially if it's attached to csrss.exe. And no virus scan will be able to remove it. So if it is a virus, your best bet is fine the WinXP disk and reinstall.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I suppose that it could be either a virus or a bad mobo, but I think that those scenarios are less likely than underpower. It could also be bad chipset drivers. All unlikely. See the problem is that he has to continuously restart four to five times before getting into Windows. This says all you need to know.

1. A virus would not cause such random crashes, but would repeat the same symptom over and over. Not after rebooting five times, suddenly not recreating the problem. Especially if it were a boot sector virus, which is what it would almost have to be.

2. A bad Motherboard is pretty far up on the list of problems, but I think you would see more random crashes if the mobo was bad.

3. Under power, a cheap PSU or dirty power can all have this exact symptom. If you have a crappy PSU and it turns out your Mobo is bad, it is more than likely caused by the PSU. Like Mfilpot said, remove any cards, hard drives and other components that are unnecessary to boot windows. Then try. This will probably confirm if it is underpower. There is really no easy way to see if you have dirty power, other than putting an Oscilliscope on the line and looking for the sags/spikes. They could be so small and quick that only a good multimeter would be able to catch it. If your PSU doesn't have line conditioning that there is a problem. Most homes in the US suffer from dirty power. That is why I have a UPS conditioning power to all of my computer components (even though the PSU has conditioning too).

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shermstix

1. A virus would not cause such random crashes, but would repeat the same symptom over and over. Not after rebooting five times, suddenly not recreating the problem. Especially if it were a boot sector virus, which is what it would almost have to be.

2. A bad Motherboard is pretty far up on the list of problems, but I think you would see more random crashes if the mobo was bad.

3. Under power, a cheap PSU or dirty power can all have this exact symptom. If you have a crappy PSU and it turns out your Mobo is bad, it is more than likely caused by the PSU. Like Mfilpot said, remove any cards, hard drives and other components that are unnecessary to boot windows. Then try. This will probably confirm if it is underpower. There is really no easy way to see if you have dirty power, other than putting an Oscilliscope on the line and looking for the sags/spikes. They could be so small and quick that only a good multimeter would be able to catch it. If your PSU doesn't have line conditioning that there is a problem. Most homes in the US suffer from dirty power. That is why I have a UPS conditioning power to all of my computer components (even though the PSU has conditioning too).

hmmm, I've never thought of "clean power" or "dirty power" I shall look into that. I still say it's just a virus, but heh, we all can be wrong.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSmiley

hmmm, I've never thought of "clean power" or "dirty power" I shall look into that. I still say it's just a virus, but heh, we all can be wrong.

changed psu from 250w to 400w it was fine at first,then started again rebooting, some times it boots 1st go some times 2nd or 3rd it seems to do it when first switched on ,when warmed up if i turn off & on it starts 1st time.

·
Registered
956 Posts
that sort of message only comes up when you inproperly shut down windows,
or if there is a total system failer of some sort, in which power was cut off,
like if your system is running and you flip the switch on your psu, or on you
power strip, but the point is this only occures when power is lost!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcham

changed psu from 250w to 400w it was fine at first,then started again rebooting, some times it boots 1st go some times 2nd or 3rd it seems to do it when first switched on ,when warmed up if i turn off & on it starts 1st time.

Check to see if your Fan sensor is bad on your CPU heatsink. I had a bad sensor on my old HSF (Thermaltake Volcano 7) and that would happen also. Go into the BIOS and turn off your "Halt on all errors" feature. I totally forgot about this. I had this exact problem with the SOYO Dragon Plus! I would need to restart the PC a few times to get it to boot, but after I got it booted, the problem would go away, until I shut it down overnight. I even RMAed the board, only to get a new one and have the same issue. Darn sensor...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cleared cmos took battery out then replaced it now it seems fine starts 1st time 2 days on trot,thanks for advice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts