Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just recently came upon an issue where my pc refuses to shut down. When I go to the start menu and tell my computer to shut down, it proceeds with the shutdown process and even turns off. However, after a few seconds, i hear a capacitor click and the computer turns itself back on..it's a little strange because it's as if the power button has been pushed by an imaginary hand.

When I press and hold the power button down and force shutoff, it will remain off. Another interesting phenomenon that I just recently witnessed is that when my computer has been turned off and I proceed with a cold boot, I had to reset my bios because the pc went on an infinite turn on turn off loop, as if the PSU went on the fritz or something.

Now, I figure I'm pushing a fairly high OC. Has my PSU seen better days? It's been with me for 2+ yrs from my old Q9450 rig..I guess my last stability run of 25 hrs blend and 140 runs of linx did it in..

My PC appears to run normally, apart from the initial hiccup with the cold boot and requiring a BIOS reset and the fact that shutting down it turns itself back on.

Any ideas anyone?

·
Testing...
3,245 Posts
Because it's a winner.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by PlatonicBS View Post
I will go ahead and assume if you had another PSU lying around you would have already tested it so instead i will just make a PSU recommendation.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139010

P.S. SM is right, your computer is a winner it doesnt want to be turned off it wants to be used. I wish mine felt the same =/
Thanks indeed for the PSU recommendation ^^; I havent been able to use it too much since I got it, just during my free time from school I set it to run stability tests etc so forth...I guess it's calling me xD But now that I have spring break, it'll be begging to turn off

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I have this problem too after using window 7. It turns to shut down screen and stays there forever. It doesn't turn off till I hold the power button for few second. Anybody know what the problem is?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would try and remove the motherboard's battery for a few mins with the power disconnected. Putting the battery in and resetting the bios fixed it. I think my board thought it was restarting to change the clocks, not sure of the specifics but I know that intel chipsets are known to do that kind of restart when OCing..I cannot think of that term in specific right now ><; I'm trying to configure a server and it is a total pain in the bum..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts