Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I need help building a PC for my cousin. The budget is ~$1000. And he wants room to upgrade in the future. But he has pick one thing and he wants his CPU to be the Core i7 920. He would like his GPU to be a GTX 295 but if its not in the budget any GTX will do.

Thanks for them help in advance guys!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anything?...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Instead of going with the GTX 295, how about going with one a bit less, such as the 285, and then when prices go down later, he can buy another one and SLI it?

(GTX 295 is roughly $400-500)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Get a 275. Seriously, unless he wants to max out some huge games, and has more then a grand to spend, he doesn't need it. Make THAT the expand later. i7 920, a decent mobo, and a 275 with some quality but inexpensive ram will run fine.

Edit: In looking at the lisiting, I suggest trading out for:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231225 ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Tpk=evga%20le mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006 PSU

Lesser espensive and more fitting to the build. If he wants more video power, BAM second 260, the PSU can support those I beleive. Mobo has 6 ram slots instead of 3, again, more expansion. And I've had alot of issues with OCZ ram the couple times I've tried em. Went through 3 Titanium kits and all 6 total sticks were dead. I even used an ESD band and a grounded work area to be sure. G.Skills have never failed me or any of my friends.

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Would your cousin consider getting a 4890? Seen em as low as $180, and it's on par wit the GTX275.

Not trying to hock ATI lol, just figured any place to save a few here & there w/o giving up performance would help with the budget

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
No way you can get an i7 and a 295 for 1k. Does he only want nVidia? The 4890s are great and will save some money. What will the comp be used for?

Also if you live near a Micro Center you can pick up an i7 for $200.

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yogi
View Post

No way you can get an i7 and a 295 for 1k. Does he only want nVidia? The 4890s are great and will save some money. What will the comp be used for?

Also if you live near a Micro Center you can pick up an i7 for $200.

Yea, agreed and def try to see if you can get that i7 for $200 instead of $280; you're going to need to get sales/deals everywhere to keep it moderately close to the budget...

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by candy_van
View Post

Would your cousin consider getting a 4890? Seen em as low as $180, and it's on par wit the GTX275.

Not trying to hock ATI lol, just figured any place to save a few here & there w/o giving up performance would help with the budget

Go with this. You can't find a GTX 275 for the same price as an HD 4890 any more. One should be plenty sufficient for any game he can think of. If he really needs more performance though, he can CF. Two HD 4890's in CF are faster than a GTX 295, and cheaper to boot.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I am also suggesting that your cousin goes with 4890's because they are cheaper than GTX 275's and provide better performance.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
like others i say convince your couisin to go with a 4890... unless he wants to fold...

no way he'll get an i7 and a GTX 295 for that much... alternatively, if it's a gaming machine, why doesn't he go for a Phenom II build? they're cheaper, and the i7 isn't that much better in gaming...

does he need a monitor, keyboard, OS, mouse, speakers?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
like others i say convince your couisin to go with a 4890... unless he wants to fold...

no way he'll get an i7 and a GTX 295 for that much... alternatively, if it's a gaming machine, why doesn't he go for a Phenom II build? they're cheaper, and the i7 isn't that much better in gaming...

does he need a monitor, keyboard, OS, mouse, speakers?

yeah id like to know this as well. Those things add up quickly

·
Registered
787 Posts
Trust me when i say a pair of 4890s are enough for ANYTHING

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lhowatt
View Post

yeah id like to know this as well. Those things add up quickly

Yup pretty much...I've been hinting gradually about scraping here and there to keep in budget but I'm just going to come out and say it:
A total ground-up i7 build is going to be over $1k; think more like $1200-1400 depending on how well balanced you want it to be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts