Overclock.net banner

PC Freezing, tryed everything?

337 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  wendigo4700 
#1 ·
I played trine 2 with my dad online yesterday, and then he told me their pc just froze up during the game. And he couldnt press any buttons or whatsoever. Had to force shutdown the pc.

So here is what I have done after a short visit to them:

GTX650 6pin = 64c load temperature after 45min of heaven 4.0. And no artifacts either

Intel i5-660 stock speed = 53c load temperature after 1h of prime95. No errors

1h memtest86+ = Full pass no errors

I then started up trine 2 at their pc, and this time it didnt freeze up. What the hell? I really find it hard to believe, it should had been a 1 time of bad coincidence?

The PSU is an BeQuiet L8 Pure Power 430w with 2x +12 rails. One rated 22a, the other 20a. All cables connected properly

There are some leftovers from AMD / ATI inside regedit however. But I am unable to delete them. Well I delete them alright. But after an reboot, they're back into the regedit again.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sometimes a PC can just lock up if its only once its nothing to worry about.
Mine has done the same a few times but there is nothing wrong with it.

#3 ·
Alright, I'll tell him that if it happens again or just more frequently, the pc diagnostic can continue.

However is there no way, to get rid of those annoying amd / ati folders inside the regedit? Maybe it needs to be done in safe mode, and that is why it didnt worked in 1st try?

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendigo4700 View Post

Alright, I'll tell him that if it happens again or just more frequently, the pc diagnostic can continue.

However is there no way, to get rid of those annoying amd / ati folders inside the regedit? Maybe it needs to be done in safe mode, and that is why it didnt worked in 1st try?
Doing a CCleaner clean of your registry might clean that out, just be sure to backup the registry when you are prompted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffly Mushkin View Post

Update your drivers? Other than that certain games tend to consistently crash under some configs, even if it may be able to run stable 24/7 prime95/Heaven etc. It happens.
Welcome to OCN. And that is quite true.

#7 ·
I'm not sure to leave a program, to cleanup the regedit, just because I wanna get tid of the amd / ati folders in there. Is there really no workaround? So the last part as described in #1 doesn't seem to work. But am I doing something wrong?
As I couldnt dig up anything, with other people with same issue.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendigo4700 View Post

I'm not sure to leave a program, to cleanup the regedit, just because I wanna get tid of the amd / ati folders in there. Is there really no workaround? So the last part as described in #1 doesn't seem to work. But am I doing something wrong?
As I couldnt dig up anything, with other people with same issue.
I wouldn't worry too much unless it starts happening often. PC's just lock up sometimes, could be any number of reasons.

#9 ·
I would vote checking event viewer as well. I can understand game crash, but locking up the entire PC is a different deal. Over the years, I had issues like that and it always turned out to be something that needed to be fixed. It was either printer driver, VPN software, GPU drivers, vdroop (an older PC) causing my overclock to be unstable (pass prime and all the jazz, but randomly goes flat during gaming). So definitely check event viewer and see what all warning and error messages you can see.

#10 ·
Will check their eventviewer. Maybe by using teamviewer.

But it still irritates me about those annoying amd / ati leftovers inside the regedit, that just wont go away. I delete the folders. But after an reboot, they're back in there. Is it needed to run regedit in safemode, and remove them that way? Really want them gone, but has to be done manually.

#11 ·
Alright, so I decided to check out the reg cleanet that comes with ccleaner. I launched it, and it have found 4 files related to amd or ati. So its safe to remove just those, right?

EDIT: I deleted all amd / ati values, with ccleaner regedit clean tool. I also found an "AMD External Utility" inside msconfig.
Deleted that one too.

The amd / ati folders inside regedit from the start bar, however is still there.
But at least i got to remove some stuff with ccleaner reg cleaner tool. And got rid of that amd service, that were still running

So the final question is, if I should enter safemode, to delete those stuff inside regedit. Or is it not recommended to do that in safe mode?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.