Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not know where to post this, i thought this was the most general place, so please, if its in the wrong place move it

Anyway back to my post...

I just graduated high school, and finally decided what I want to do ( I think ). So I have been trying to look into stuff on how to make video games. Not the actual coding or even playing of the game, I wanna be part of the making of character models, maps, guns, whatever goes into the actual modeling.

My question is, where would a good start be and what degree should i be trying to obtain to get this?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If you want the programming, Computer science, but it will probably disappoint you if you don't love math and physics, if you want the graphics aspect, look for some photoshop or 3D modeling courses with 3DStudio and/or maya.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Probably some sort of New Media degree in college. Something that focuses on modelling and animation, especially if you can find one that focuses specifically on games.

Another great learning experience would be, after you have some basics down, see what you can do about modding existing games. Make some interesting small items for TF2, etc.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Take some CAD classes. Learning how to model in a 3D environment is a good thing to learn if you want to get into this. If you want to get into making maps, check out the Hammer Editor for the Source Engine.

There's also a School Help section on OCN for this sort of question.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
My friend tried that route. took Character Design or something of that name.
anyway, one school to look up is Full Sail in Florida. big video game dev school from what my friend said.

the apps he used heavily
Maya - although it's a bastard of a program that will break your soul
and 3DSMax

and there's a few others for texture and image manipulation and etc, but those were the major ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts