Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
3DFX User
Joined
·
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,076 Posts
Man do I love me some computer
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,447 Posts
I don't think gaming capable PCs means there all gaming.
So many PCs get sold with discrete graphic cards to homes and most they end up doing is surfing the net.

Also what is "gaming capable"? (if its there I missed it)

I am not saying PC gaming is dead, but I am sure console gaming is still far more popular and will be for a while.
 

·
3DFX User
Joined
·
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiLChris View Post
I don't think gaming capable PCs means there all gaming.
So many PCs get sold with discrete graphic cards to homes and most they end up doing is surfing the net.

Also what is "gaming capable"? (if its there I missed it)

I am not saying PC gaming is dead, but I am sure console gaming is still far more popular and will be for a while.
I agree, but I also know more than one person that got a 360 for Netflix and a couple others that got a PS3 for blue rays. So I think that stat looks pretty good for us PC gamers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
760 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiLChris View Post
I don't think gaming capable PCs means there all gaming.
So many PCs get sold with discrete graphic cards to homes and most they end up doing is surfing the net.
To true... I remember when my mother was shopping for her first PC and the idiot (PC sales guy) asked her if she wanted a gaming PC? Really You qualify a FX5200 as a "gamer" grade GPU? So of course she said no, and ended up with Intels crappy IGP instead. Fast forward a few years and 720p youtube is here for the masses...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,591 Posts
Gaming capable. So that could be the laptop I sold to some 65 year old lady with a Radeon 4550 built in. She will never ever game... but it counts in your statistics.

Irrelevant and misleading article.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
843 Posts
They can come up with these kind of research/articles all they want but it doesn't change the fact that more and more games every year are abandoning the PC ship and joining the consoles, unfortunately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts
Expanding the install base would seem to be important though. Maybe people didnt buy them for gaming, but hey if the install base is large enough, maybe little Johnny will see how far he can push his moms computer, before he gets his own to push, before he discovers puberty and porn.

Thats how I first got started with pc games.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
It's not that PCs themselves don't sell, it's that PC games don't sell nearly as much as console games. With the exception of blizzard and Valve games.

Hell even Valve games people are just waiting on massive steam sales to buy them, and that isn't sustainable with big budget games. Other then a few games like Starcraft and stuff like that I don't know anyone that pays full price on PC games anymore. They just wait for the inevitable Steam sale.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,471 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsemama1956 View Post
It's not that PCs themselves don't sell, it's that PC games don't sell nearly as much as console games. With the exception of blizzard and Valve games.

Hell even Valve games people are just waiting on massive steam sales to buy them, and that isn't sustainable with big budget games. Other then a few games like Starcraft and stuff like that I don't know anyone that pays full price on PC games anymore. They just wait for the inevitable Steam sale.
Well, dur I blame the pirate mentality here on OCN, just look what happens when some company announced DLC, everyone is up in arms saying how they are going to pirate the game etc.

It's the whole: "Oh we're only going to pay for the game if it's the God's Gift to Earth" type of philosophy that's killing PC gaming; these people are so stupid, they don't understand, if a company could release a game with 100% guaranteed success, then everyone would be billionaires by now.

Certainly I agree with you that Steam with their $10 sales, now makes a lot of people holding off and waiting until the game is on sale.

And in the end all the people who hate monthly fees, should realize, if you guys don't pay up for games then all your going to get is crappy ports. No one will make you free DLC patches and should be expected to sit there and update the game for you for free.

So stop wining every time a DLC is released or a company charges monthly fee, because it's the new pricing model to combat piracy and soon all games are going to be like this and you better pay up, it's because of people like you we can't have nice things.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
28 Posts
haha im slowly converting to pc gaming.always used consoles but my rig is sweet now all i need is to get the razer mechanical keyboard when it comes out and gamin mouse and im sorted
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,989 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex98uk View Post
Gaming capable. So that could be the laptop I sold to some 65 year old lady with a Radeon 4550 built in. She will never ever game... but it counts in your statistics.

Irrelevant and misleading article.
But you cant count that, your sale has never been recorded, its not official, the article is isolating gaming machines say bought at Frys or Best Buy, and most people do not get a discrete card with a normal machine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by |\\/|0D3R|\\|♠\\/\\/4R|=4R3♠2 View Post
Well, dur I blame the pirate mentality here on OCN, just look what happens when some company announced DLC, everyone is up in arms saying how they are going to pirate the game etc.

It's the whole: "Oh we're only going to pay for the game if it's the God's Gift to Earth" type of philosophy that's killing PC gaming; these people are so stupid, they don't understand, if a company could release a game with 100% guaranteed success, then everyone would be billionaires by now.

Certainly I agree with you that Steam with their $10 sales, now makes a lot of people holding off and waiting until the game is on sale.

And in the end all the people who hate monthly fees, should realize, if you guys don't pay up for games then all your going to get is crappy ports. No one will make you free DLC patches and should be expected to sit there and update the game for you for free.

So stop wining every time a DLC is released or a company charges monthly fee, because it's the new pricing model to combat piracy and soon all games are going to be like this and you better pay up, it's because of people like you we can't have nice things.
How is this relevant to the topic? And might I remind everyone that even talking about pirating is against the rules here. If you see people saying "Gonna pirate this", you should report them.

And piracy isn't killing the gaming industry. People like Bobby Kotick are.

EDIT: And the article is indeed misleading. I have three gaming capable computers in my home. I only play games on one of them. And where's the line for "gaming capable"? Flash games? Games with 3D in them? Crysis?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by |\\/|0D3R|\\|♠\\/\\/4R|=4R3♠2 View Post
Well, dur I blame the pirate mentality here on OCN, just look what happens when some company announced DLC, everyone is up in arms saying how they are going to pirate the game etc.
We complain about a DLC when said DLC is three old maps and two new ones sharted out for 15 bucks. We don't complain about DLC like, say, Broken Steel, which adds tremendously to the base game.

Quote:
It's the whole: "Oh we're only going to pay for the game if it's the God's Gift to Earth" type of philosophy that's killing PC gaming;
Nothing is 'killing' PC gaming. Though if I had to finger something it would be a combination of people thinking DRM actually works, every game being the same damn generic brown deathmatch online FPS that isn't any fun for a gamer who doesn't play competitively(What an oxymoron lol), and greedy CEOs that charge more for last game's maps than indie devs charge for the whole damn game.

Quote:
So stop wining every time a DLC is released or a company charges monthly fee,
Oh, so because someone pirated something we can't criticize when a greedy CEO dumps three of last year's maps and two really crappy new ones on us for 15 bucks and has the nerve to call it DLC?

Quote:
because it's the new pricing model to combat piracy
No, it's not. It's the new pricing model that's going to cover the CEO's new Rolls. The true way to combat piracy, which the good developers seem to have nailed down pretty nicely, is to make the game worth more to the honest customer than it would be if he pirated it. This means less intrusive DRM, things like game-world maps and strat guides in each copy, collectibles, things like that. Rockstar, for example, includes a fold-out poster with each copy of GTA that, on one side, features a character and on the other the map of the game world. They also made the game manuals seem like they were printed in Liberty City. They have to do something like this because the DRM in IV was absolutely atrocious. Valve does this by not screwing us over with stupid DRM and by supporting the game quite nicely(See: All 120+ free TF2 updates, L4D1 and L4D2 DLC). Bethesda does kinda a mixture of the first two. The game manuals resemble something you'd find in-game, and they don't load us up with DRM that doesn't work anyways. All three companies, for the most part, tend to listen to their customers.

Quote:
and soon all games are going to be like this and you better pay up, it's because of people like you we can't have nice things.
Uhhh no. It's not because of 'people like you' that we have crappy ports. It's greed, laziness and the fact that gamers will buy the same boring, horrible games time and time again. See: COD:MW2. IT has to be the worst FPS I've ever played yet Activision sold more copies than they know what to do with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkymarko View Post
haha im slowly converting to pc gaming.always used consoles but my rig is sweet now all i need is to get the razer mechanical keyboard when it comes out and gamin mouse and im sorted

You don't need a high end mouse and keyboard to game. My keyboard costs 25 bucks at Walmart, my mouse 19.99 there, and I game just fine on them. Please for the love of god don't get into the mindset that you automatically suck at life because you don't have expensive peripherals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull View Post
We complain about a DLC when said DLC is three old maps and two new ones sharted out for 15 bucks. We don't complain about DLC like, say, Broken Steel, which adds tremendously to the base game.

Nothing is 'killing' PC gaming. Though if I had to finger something it would be a combination of people thinking DRM actually works, every game being the same damn generic brown deathmatch online FPS that isn't any fun for a gamer who doesn't play competitively(What an oxymoron lol), and greedy CEOs that charge more for last game's maps than indie devs charge for the whole damn game.

Oh, so because someone pirated something we can't criticize when a greedy CEO dumps three of last year's maps and two really crappy new ones on us for 15 bucks and has the nerve to call it DLC?

No, it's not. It's the new pricing model that's going to cover the CEO's new Rolls. The true way to combat piracy, which the good developers seem to have nailed down pretty nicely, is to make the game worth more to the honest customer than it would be if he pirated it. This means less intrusive DRM, things like game-world maps and strat guides in each copy, collectibles, things like that. Rockstar, for example, includes a fold-out poster with each copy of GTA that, on one side, features a character and on the other the map of the game world. They also made the game manuals seem like they were printed in Liberty City. They have to do something like this because the DRM in IV was absolutely atrocious. Valve does this by not screwing us over with stupid DRM and by supporting the game quite nicely(See: All 120+ free TF2 updates, L4D1 and L4D2 DLC). Bethesda does kinda a mixture of the first two. The game manuals resemble something you'd find in-game, and they don't load us up with DRM that doesn't work anyways. All three companies, for the most part, tend to listen to their customers.

Uhhh no. It's not because of 'people like you' that we have crappy ports. It's greed, laziness and the fact that gamers will buy the same boring, horrible games time and time again. See: COD:MW2. IT has to be the worst FPS I've ever played yet Activision sold more copies than they know what to do with.

You don't need a high end mouse and keyboard to game. My keyboard costs 25 bucks at Walmart, my mouse 19.99 there, and I game just fine on them. Please for the love of god don't get into the mindset that you automatically suck at life because you don't have expensive peripherals.
+1 for saving me time
Like reading my thoughts pretty much in every paragraph.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
15,777 Posts
About Indie games selling for cheaper than DLC...

I haven't found a good place that sells my favorite games; Touhou.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,471 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristian View Post
If you see people saying "Gonna pirate this", you should report them.
?
Should we report everyone in this thread: http://www.overclock.net/technology-...irate-isp.html

and this 1:

http://www.overclock.net/software-ne...ions-file.html

and this 1:

http://www.overclock.net/software-ne...sh-piracy.html

Just look so many pirates are all up in arms it is incredible how can so many people think they have a right to illegally infringe upon copyright, and then everyone is so surprised all we get is console ports?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by |\\/|0D3R|\\|♠\\/\\/4R|=4R3♠2 View Post
Should we report everyone in this thread: http://www.overclock.net/technology-...irate-isp.html

and this 1:

http://www.overclock.net/software-ne...ions-file.html

and this 1:

http://www.overclock.net/software-ne...sh-piracy.html

Just look so many pirates are all up in arms it is incredible how can so many people think they have a right to illegally infringe upon copyright, and then everyone is so surprised all we get is console ports?
The first thread: No, maybe the OP, and people who specifically go into the discussion of piracy. You could report everyone, but really, people who only said "wow, that's crazy/awesome" could just be expressing their opinion about people like that who actually decide to start an ISP.

The second thread: Keep in mind this thread is not about piracy as such, but about the privacy rights it violates. Again, report the people who specifically talk about the act of piracy.

The third thread: Again, it's about the government controlling the internet. Same deal as before, if someone specifically talks about the act of piracy, report them.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top