Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not, I repeat, this is not another "I want to cool my PC with my fridge" thread...

It's a "I want to assist cooling of my CPU slightly by using my fridge but not if it blows up the compressor, and if possible, what configuration would be optimal and maybe some other stuff along the way in a hopefully somewhat stimulating thread."

So let's say I have a mini fridge sitting 6' away from my PC. I currently have watercooling. HK 3.0 775 with a 480 GTX with a custom 50mm shroud attached to it with some low speed fans because a 480 is waaay overkill for my CPU right now.

The reason I want to use the fridge to assist my cooling is because I have a Q9650 on the way and I would like to see some nice numbers and cool temps.

I know you can't supply a constant heat source like a PC to a fridge and expect it to survive. I've read all the PC in a fridge threads, and contributed somehow in most of them as well.

I don't plan on putting the full burden of cooling on the fridge alone. I plan to have it assist in further lowering the temps of an already cool liquid.

My thoughts are as follows:

1. I would have a radiator pre-line before the fridge that would bring the temps as close to ambient as possible.

2. To reduce the amount of heat dump allowed inside the fridge I would need to adjust the size of the radiator inside the fridge. If ambient temp water is too much for the fridge by allowing a 240 size radiator, perhaps a 120 would allow less heat dump and while my temps would be higher, it wouldn't break my fridge either.

3. With the extra tubing I would need an extra pump just to make sure my single 355 doesn't get over-burdened.

Possible? Impossible? What is the theoretical cooling capacity of a mini fridge? I assume it depends on the type so what am I looking for to determine this?

OR

Is this just an all around bad idea due to increased cycling of my compressor in the fridge that would wear it out faster and severely decrease the lifespan of my fridge?

·
Banned
5,028 Posts
ask duckieho and see what he thinks...

btw try putting ur rad in a bucket of ice water instead. colder and keeps your fridge alive

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
You will have two rads? One inside and one outside the fridge but in the same loop?

The rad on the outside will end up absorbing heat from ambient if the loop drops below ambient.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well the ambient temperature outside my window is around of a fridge hehe. So looks like we are doing the same experiment

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metroid View Post
Well the ambient temperature outside my window is around of a fridge hehe. So looks like we are doing the same experiment

Don't forget to insulate your loop then...

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Have you tried to put an AC unit on it instead of a whole fridge?

and post pics when you start doing this!!!!

also, 4.8 GHz - 1.3v?!

PUSH 5GHz - 1.4v!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

You will have two rads? One inside and one outside the fridge but in the same loop?

The rad on the outside will end up absorbing heat from ambient if the loop drops below ambient.

So I would have to dial it in to where the heat dump brings my loop back to at least ambients... Hrmm, so it's not worth it then. Thinking at most 1-2C cooler.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimpykins
View Post

So I would have to dial it in to where the heat dump brings my loop back to at least ambients... Hrmm, so it's not worth it then. Thinking at most 1-2C cooler.

The cost of a fridge and power to run it for 1-2C cooler?

Just place an AC unit in front of your rad..... easier and cooler.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
The cost of a fridge and power to run it for 1-2C cooler?

Just place an AC unit in front of your rad..... easier and cooler.
Well that's kinda what I was saying. It was more along the lines of the way you put things before made me realize the design flaw. If the CPU didn't bring the water temps at least to above ambient then the pre-radiator before the fridge would actually be adding heat.

So basically I can't do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts