Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I probably won't be doing a build for a while but I have a few questions about a theory I have with submerging a pc in liquid, then putting that inside of a freezer. I got this idea from this link http://quantumbioserver.com/ecm.html (it is the second project called ECM-2) and its not very discriptive at all. My first question is if he is using TEC or not. its kind of hard to tell because of how unclear his step by step guide is (if you guys find a more detailed guide to something similer please let me know). and if you guys figure out why he has the pump please let me know.

what I want to do if I ever get around to a computer build is submerge my computer in mineral oil inside a small fish tank, put it in the freezer, (I was looking at a $190 US freezer that cools up to .4 degrees F and that is equal to about -17 C and sense mineral oil freezes at -22 degrees F I shouldn't have a problem with freezing my oil). then wait until the mineral oil reaches lowest temp, turn pc on and OC OC OC!

I understand he may have been using TEC. if someone could explain to me how he specificly used the freezer and the oil to do it that would be nice.

a few more questions I have are even if he still is using mineral oil to submerge parts is it possible for condesation to get into the fish tank? if so how can I prevent it. any replys are appreciated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,289 Posts
well if you where to do this you would have to somehow set the thermometer in the freezer to always work at a certain temperature, that is really why putting a pc in freezer/fridge does not work. fridge is always getting warmer so the cooler of the fridge is constantly working and it causes it to die rather quickly. so unless you want to pick up a new freezer every month-couple months(assuming it lasts a month) then i would say try it but it would be cheaper to just have a phase change unit in the long run.
 

·
Fettered Firewall
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
Oh boy..

Take cover.. INCOMING!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,289 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ictinike View Post
Oh boy..

Take cover.. INCOMING!
i already explained why it does not work but I'm hiding under my desk just in case
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,241 Posts
On very old or low TDP computers then it is clearly possible to run a computer in a freezer, I'm talking ATOM kind of power computers - maybe 20-30 watts. Although freezers are capable of keeping many litres of food cool for long periods of time, it is actually shocking how little power they use, freezers are FAR TOO EFFICIENT at cooling food to be able to have the raw cooling power to cool your average computer.
 

·
Fettered Firewall
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. biggums View Post
i already explained why it does not work but I'm hiding under my desk just in case

I know.. I read


Just these always gather a large crowd.. Last one, whew, went way to far and the guy went off the handle..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,263 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bio-Eater View Post
Alright guys, I probably won't be doing a build for a while but I have a few questions about a theory I have with submerging a pc in liquid, then putting that inside of a freezer. I got this idea from this link http://quantumbioserver.com/ecm.html (it is the second project called ECM-2) and its not very discriptive at all. My first question is if he is using TEC or not. its kind of hard to tell because of how unclear his step by step guide is (if you guys find a more detailed guide to something similer please let me know). and if you guys figure out why he has the pump please let me know.

what I want to do if I ever get around to a computer build is submerge my computer in mineral oil inside a small fish tank, put it in the freezer, (I was looking at a $190 US freezer that cools up to .4 degrees F and that is equal to about -17 C and sense mineral oil freezes at -22 degrees F I shouldn't have a problem with freezing my oil). then wait until the mineral oil reaches lowest temp, turn pc on and OC OC OC!

I understand he may have been using TEC. if someone could explain to me how he specificly used the freezer and the oil to do it that would be nice.

a few more questions I have are even if he still is using mineral oil to submerge parts is it possible for condesation to get into the fish tank? if so how can I prevent it. any replys are appreciated
the oil gets very think as it cools down, it wont take long for the oil to heat up, and no a freezer cannot keep the oil cool
it will also kill the freezer
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,263 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torched-Geek View Post
On very old or low TDP computers then it is clearly possible to run a computer in a freezer, I'm talking ATOM kind of power computers - maybe 20-30 watts. Although freezers are capable of keeping many litres of food cool for long periods of time, it is actually shocking how little power they use, freezers are FAR TOO EFFICIENT at cooling food to be able to have the raw cooling power to cool your average computer.
no, the difference is, the food isnt producing heat, its just hot that cools down and stays there

if you put a dog in the freezer, the dog will take forever to cool down, it will keep it warmer in the freezer keeping it running until temp drops

you put a dead dog in there, it will run, cool the meat, then shut off

freezers/fridges are built to hold non-heat producing objects at a temperature, not cooling a heatink object
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,386 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. biggums View Post
well if you where to do this you would have to somehow set the thermometer in the freezer to always work at a certain temperature, that is really why putting a pc in freezer/fridge does not work. fridge is always getting warmer so the cooler of the fridge is constantly working and it causes it to die rather quickly. so unless you want to pick up a new freezer every month-couple months(assuming it lasts a month) then i would say try it but it would be cheaper to just have a phase change unit in the long run.
Exactly. A refrigerator or a freezer is designed to cool down an item once. You put a steak in the fridge, it gets cold. This way the compressor only runs briefly every once in a while to maintain a general system temperature. But they are not designed to cool something that is constantly generating heat. This will cause the compressor to run too often, if not constantly, and it will quickly burn out.

I can't count the number of times a thread suggesting something like this pops up. And I'll warn you, every time one does, the OP gets stoned, beaten to death, and then stoned again for good measure. Its not that we're mean - its just a really bad idea to use a fridge/freezer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,263 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tehpwnerofn00bs View Post
I can't count the number of times a thread suggesting something like this pops up. And I'll warn you, every time one does, the OP gets stoned, beaten to death, and then stoned again for good measure. Its not that we're mean - its just a really bad idea to use a fridge/freezer.

alot of them lol, theres a sticky too lol

just look, theres atleast 15 people looking at the thread and/or typing up flaming posts
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,263 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ACHILEE5
View Post

How about going water cooled and useing a beer chiller?

beerchiller/freezer/fridge
all the same thing, all same purpose, all for the most part made the same way
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How about this then. Putting a very large radiator in the freezer, using a 1200gph pump (yes they do exist, for 10 dollars) cooling and cirulating the oil that goes through it then back to the fish tank. that can't create too much heat can it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,444 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Skullzaflare
View Post

if you put a dog in the freezer, the dog will take forever to cool down, it will keep it warmer in the freezer keeping it running until temp drops

you put a dead dog in there, it will run, cool the meat, then shut off

NOT COOL


Quote:


Originally Posted by Skullzaflare
View Post

freezers/fridges are built to hold non-heat producing objects at a temperature, not cooling a heatink object

Well said
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,263 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Bio-Eater
View Post

How about this then. Putting a very large radiator in the freezer, using a 1200gph pump (yes they do exist, for 10 dollars) cooling and cirulating the oil that goes through it then back to the fish tank. that can't create too much heat can it?

its still the same thing, if you dont mind, if the same concept as i have quoted in my sig

though it might sound like less, your still dumping the same amount of heat in the cooler
also, 1200gph pump wouldnt help, it would burn up, you would need a pump for oil

Quote:


Originally Posted by crashnburn_819
View Post

NOT COOL


Well said


it was just an example ><, i coulda said grampa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alright, what if I have one radiator go on air first, cooling it down slightly, then have another one in the freezer cooling it down even more. and you can pump oil through a pump.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,511 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Skullzaflare
View Post

beerchiller/freezer/fridge
all the same thing, all same purpose, all for the most part made the same way

Beer chillers are not the same! Not the ones that are for draft beer

But sure, they do use the same expanding gas bla bla bla

It would all come down to how long the refrigeration pump lasted
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,511 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Bio-Eater
View Post

alright, what if I have one radiator go on air first, cooling it down slightly, then have another one in the freezer cooling it down even more. and you can pump oil through a pump.

You wont let this go will ya, not til it's too late and the Wolves turn up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey if he can do it I want to learn how too. does anyone know what kind of method a supercomputer cools itself with? I remember him meantioning it was something like that. and did anyone even read the link? all the way through?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
986 Posts
I say take a large ish container that will fit in the freezer and freeze a rad into it and see if u can get better temps....its cheap and easy and we all know freezers can make ice so. It wouldn't be constant unless maybe u left the block freeze solid then the ice itself will help assist the freezer and prolong the life. The only problem i see is that the ice may melt to rapidly.
 
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Top