Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specs:
Intel 3570 CPU
MSI z77A-G45 MoBo
650W PSU
1080 TI GPU

Over the last week or so, occasionally my PC wouldn't boot properly, but a reboot would generally fix it. Now It won't boot past a black screen, fans and lights come on, but no signal at all to the monitors.

So far I've tried re-seating the CPU and RAM (in various configurations); tested the PSU voltage using a paperclip and multi meter; tried using onboard video instead of the 1080 TI; pulled the CMOS battery and let PC sit for 30 mins while unplugged.

One time when I only had 1 stick of RAM in, the system booted up, had a message about my OC being unstable, I hit F2 to continue on using default settings and windows booted up. I restarted to test, it booted fine. I then shut down the PC and rebooted to test and it just booted to black screen again.

My best guess would be mother board, but I'm at a loss, I couldn't find anything online that helped.

Thanks in advance,
Brett

·
Linux Noob
870 Posts
Plug it in.
Press the little 'Clear CMOS' button on the back of the motherboard.
If that doesn't help, try another PSU.
You may need to reflash your BIOS.

·
Linux Noob
870 Posts
I thought that taking the battery out while it was unplugged cleared the CMOS?
It should, yes.
For future reference, the MSI boards have a small button near the ps/2 jack on the back that will reset the BIOS without wiping your saved profiles. I'm not certain if the button rewrites the BIOS or not. Different boards have different ways of saving/restoring BIOS data.

An MSI board will generally boot into bios without memory or a CPU installed.

Try booting into UEFI/CMOS without any RAM installed and reflash your BIOS.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,867 Posts
Would be somewhat help if you listed the brand and model of the PSU and not just the amount of wattage

·
Overclocker
11,637 Posts
Hanging on boot with black screen from my experience is due to RAM issues, such as unstable RAM OC failing training.

Resetting the whole thing to defaults and making sure UEFI is not corrupted is step #1.
After that remove everything you can and make a minimal build, see if that boots if previous doesn't help.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,867 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got it to boot to bios with just the CPU and 1 stick of RAM installed. Looks like everything has been reset in there.

When I tried to restart it after hooking up my boot drive it again just gave me a black screen, no access to bios. I unhooked the boot drive again and again it gave me a black screen. So, would the PSU be responsible for such intermittent problems?

Thanks again for all the help

·
Senior OCN Member
39,867 Posts
That PSU is ancient so even if its not the problem you should still replace it
Its a multi rail unit with 4x 12v rails which is just stupid with such low wattage

·
Linux Noob
870 Posts
I just got it to boot to bios with just the CPU and 1 stick of RAM installed. Looks like everything has been reset in there.

When I tried to restart it after hooking up my boot drive it again just gave me a black screen, no access to bios. I unhooked the boot drive again and again it gave me a black screen. So, would the PSU be responsible for such intermittent problems?

Thanks again for all the help
You are in the same place. PSU or BIOS or motherboard. Your PSU is old and needs replacing, anyway. Buy a quality unit suitable for your *next* build.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just replying here in case anyone has something similar happen. I replaced the PSU and that didn't resolve the issue. So I am assuming it was the motherboard.

Thanks again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts