1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently purchased the following parts for my computer:
6yJn

6yJr

I've been building my computer with a friend and I cannot get the computer to start for some reason. We've made sure that we have followed the motherboard manual and placed the system panel connectors to the motherboard accordingly. A green light shows up on the motherboard but after we press the power button nothing happens. Any ideas?

264 Posts
Take it out of the case and then try again. You can always short the two pins on the motherboard that normally connect to the case power on button, just to remove one more thing from the list of possibilities. That and taking it out of the case might naturally solve a loose connection, or wrong connection.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
You installed the motherboard standoffs right?

Double check all cables and connections (including the front panel connectors - triple check these for correct positioning) and re-seat them (with the power off).

Is the LED a diagnostic light or just a power indicator?

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Try to jump motherboard not to use PWR switch..

Also install only one RAM stick and try to start the system..

Perform the cleaning of CMOS before the attempt os starting the system..

Make sure that 24pin and 8pin power cables are firmly connected to the motherboard..

P.S.: That CM GX650 power supply is a bad choice..

CHEERS..

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tipless
View Post

i laugh everytime i see someone post this
but i guess it can happen lol

Hey man, it has happened in a thread where I suggested it. I know that it is obvious, but it is worth asking.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the posts, I've ensured everything is plugged in correctly. I'm currently posting from the PC I was building... but there is a problem. I have the motherboard out of the case because when I screw it down to the motherboard (or even just rest it inside the case without the use of screws) it doesn't want to power on. The only time it powers on is when I have it out of the case...

Does anybody have any solutions?

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dothraki
View Post

Thanks all for the posts, I've ensured everything is plugged in correctly. I'm currently posting from the PC I was building... but there is a problem. I have the motherboard out of the case because when I screw it down to the motherboard (or even just rest it inside the case without the use of screws) it doesn't want to power on. The only time it powers on is when I have it out of the case...

Sounds like you are shorting it somewhere against the case.

Make sure that there aren't any loose screws or pieces of metal behind the board that could be contacting both the motherboard and the case. Also make sure you are using standoff screws in the right mounting holes to raise the motherboard above the surface of the case. The right locations will be in the mobo manual.

Sorry if that is obvious.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
have you used the standoffs that came with the case?!

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Make sure you do not have to many standoffs. Could be one shorting your mobo. You should only have standoffs where the mobo has screw holes.

·
News Junkie
8,233 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by _02
View Post

Hey man, it has happened in a thread where I suggested it. I know that it is obvious, but it is worth asking.

Totally, seen it more than once.

Sounds like a grounding issue. Take out of the case, , place on non conductive surface, check connectors and try to power on.

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Did you switch the PSU switch? Have you tested the PSU with a paper clip?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again everybody, got it sorted for now. I've only placed one screw into it and it seems to work now.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Thanks again everybody, got it sorted for now. I've only placed one screw into it and it seems to work now.

I would try to place them all one by one, powering on and off each time to identify which one is causing the issue. With one screw, I would be worried about the components flexing the PCB of the motherboard, and also, you may have an issue that has nothing to do with the screws that still needs fixing (loose part, etc).

Glad to see that you were able to get it assembled and running though

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trev179
View Post

Test with a paper clip????

Jump starting the PSU, you need to do it when watercooling to start your pump up without the rest of your system.

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Glad to hear it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.