Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I try to turn the computer on with my video card in, it wont turn on at all. it will boot fine if i take the video card out, and use the onboard. Is this a video card issue or a motherboard issue? this just started happening tonight.

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
i think is gpu issue, make sure ur primary setting gpu is on pci-e on ur bios.
did u did anything to the card like flashing the bios??

·
Registered
998 Posts
do you have another gpu?
if so use it
there will be your answer

if not there is bould to be some one in the ocn network who could lend an hand

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by fssbzz View Post
i think is gpu issue, make sure ur primary setting gpu is on pci-e on ur bios.
did u did anything to the card like flashing the bios??
the gpu overheated, and the computer shut off. So I kind of feel like it may have fried, but that's the first time it's ever overheated and shut off, so I didn't think the first/only time it's ever done it would cause that much damage.

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kvjavs View Post
I'm thinking it's the motherboard. What would the video card do to cause the entire system from booting up? Even a motherboard without RAM or a CPU would turn on.

Like someone mentioned, try using another card if you have one.
his on board vga work thts what he mean

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fssbzz View Post
his on board vga work thts what he mean

I know his on board works. Still I don't know why adding a video card would cause his motherboard not to turn on unless something is shorting out.

As he mentioned, the GPU fried on his card, so I'm wondering if it took the PCI-E x16 slot along with it.

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kvjavs View Post
I know his on board works. Still I don't know why adding a video card would cause his motherboard not to turn on unless something is shorting out.

As he mentioned, the GPU fried on his card, so I'm wondering if it took the PCI-E x16 slot along with it.
oh i get what he mean now, he need to try other gpu..

is probably ur onboard pci-e shock or ur gpu

·
Ore Wa Gundam
1,800 Posts
How/Why did the GPU overheat to that extreme in the first place?

Also, the GPU should have a safety cut-off for that scenario, where it'll cut off to prevent too much damage.
Try resetting your BIOS with the CMOS jumpers, with the GPU in-place.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvoBeardy
View Post

How/Why did the GPU overheat to that extreme in the first place?

Also, the GPU should have a safety cut-off for that scenario, where it'll cut off to prevent too much damage.
Try resetting your BIOS with the CMOS jumpers, with the GPU in-place.

Yeah, I figured it would cutoff, as well before damaging itself. It turns out the fan came unplugged, and that's why it overheated. I already tried resetting the CMOS, and still doesn't work, so I think something was damaged, and i'm not going to be able to get it fixed

Fortunately it was a different computer than the one in my signature.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyS
View Post

When I try to turn the computer on with my video card in, it wont turn on at all. it will boot fine if i take the video card out, and use the onboard. Is this a video card issue or a motherboard issue? this just started happening tonight.

I had the same problem with my video card Jeremy, the problem is that your video card whatever if maybe is faulty and if you can you should try and return it or get it fixed from where ever you got it from.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts