Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never considered using my TV as a monitor until I found myself sitting quite a ways away from my 21.5" monitor I'm currently using. It's somewhat hard to see, so I thought about using my 32" 720p HDTV.

Just kinda curious if anyone here does this, and if the picture is as terrible as I'm imagining it to be? It wouldn't be for normal use, I have an Ion build in the work for web surfing and whatnot, but for gaming.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have done this on my 32" 1080p HDTV. It looked quite good actually. Apart from the super high contrast. There is only one way to find out if your TV looks good with your PC.

·
Banned
378 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradox me
View Post

I've never considered using my TV as a monitor until I found myself sitting quite a ways away from my 21.5" monitor I'm currently using. It's somewhat hard to see, so I thought about using my 32" 720p HDTV.

Just kinda curious if anyone here does this, and if the picture is as terrible as I'm imagining it to be? It wouldn't be for normal use, I have an Ion build in the work for web surfing and whatnot, but for gaming.

I've done this & it doesn't look all that good to me. The pixels on the screen are to visible & everythings seems enlarged & unsynced from the sharp monitor picture were use to .It however does get the job done as far as having a big screen to play ur games on but honestly it doesn't look very good.

In order to get it to look almost similar if not the same to your pc monitor on the bigger hdtv's. Your gonna need a 1080p hdtv that supports 120hz or better.

It has to support that 120 hz to get that Bang that your expecting: Will look fine on a 1080p tv alone but again. Go for the 120hz models.. Trust me. been there done that

Otherwise its gonna look a bit washed up & you wont get that sharp picture your use to from your highresolution pc monitor.

Take a look at the pictures below i've posted. The biggest monitor behind the 2 smallers 19" sonys monitors in the picture is a 32" Samsung Hdtv that was hooked up to the pc threw Dvi. This was all hook up as a 4 monitor screen setup with a 7" 4th screen inside the pc.. The freaking picture on the 2 sony monitors blew away the picture on the 32" Sam. Only time the 32" hdtv would shine on thr pc is when i would play music videos & moved the media player up to the Sammy & enlarge the video.

Remember: 1080p tv that support 120hz gets u your picture perfect pc monitor on the Hdtv's with no draw backs.

·
Registered
351 Posts
My samsung is 1080p and I use that. Depending on the font size it can be difficult to read but games look real good on it. With a 285 you should be able to turn up the res all the way and have a decent picture when firing up a game.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies folks.

I would just try it myself, but I don't have a VGA or HDMI cable handy and after 1 1/2 hours of shoveling, I'm still snowed in. Figured I'd at least get a general idea whether it's worth the price of the cables.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I just got my 30inch monitor yesterday, for a big part of the day it refused to work at native resolution so i was forced to use it at 1024x768 (motherboard got thrashed in shipping) and for part of the day i managed to run it at native resolution of 2560x1600.

It looked like **** on 1024x768 and it was glorious at 2560x1600, i mean glorious, i was really unsure if i wanted to spend that much money on a monitor but now that i have it i know there is zero chance i would ever go back.

·
Banned
378 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by detroitpc313
View Post

i have a 46" 240hz LED serisers 8 Samsung tv and it looks beyond amazing

YES PEOPLE. This is what i was looking for:

This guy has his hooked to a 1080p hdtv that supports not 120hz BUT 240HZ!!!!.. i've seen those tv's. Just released this year.

if your not running 120hz or better on ur hdtv when hooking it to a pc. Your just missing out on what ur really shooting for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LCK
View Post

I had my pc hooked up to a 32 inch Vizio LCD at 720p and it looked amazing. Although I'm not too critical when it comes to things like that.

Vizio? 720p?... looked amazing?... Meh. Try turning ur res to 1900 by 1200 & see what you get
better yet try 1280 by 1200.

·
Registered
347 Posts
720p= 1366x768 resolution which is really low(looks like dooky)

i have a 32" 720p tv as a second monitor for movie watching as thats about all its good for.

just my two cents

·
Quarantined in the Sticks
2,408 Posts
i have my 4890's connected to my Sharp Aquos 32" 1080p, and i have the res at 1920x1080....the picture quality is really magnificent, so very clean and smooth.. its connected through a single HDMI cable, really good picture m8

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jago-Vs-Fulgore
View Post

YES PEOPLE. This is what i was looking for:

This guy has his hooked to a 1080p hdtv that supports not 120hz BUT 240HZ!!!!.. i've seen those tv's. Just released this year.

if your not running 120hz or better on ur hdtv when hooking it to a pc. Your just missing out on what ur really shooting for.

Vizio? 720p?... looked amazing?... Meh. Try turning ur res to 1900 by 1200 & see what you get

Do you know what hz even does? It offers literally nothing when hooking up a TV screen to a PC. It will be running at 60hz.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BounouGod
View Post

I just got my 30inch monitor yesterday, for a big part of the day it refused to work at native resolution so i was forced to use it at 1024x768 (motherboard got thrashed in shipping) and for part of the day i managed to run it at native resolution of 2560x1600.

It looked like **** on 1024x768 and it was glorious at 2560x1600, i mean glorious, i was really unsure if i wanted to spend that much money on a monitor but now that i have it i know there is zero chance i would ever go back.

woah that sounds pretty freakin amazing.... what kinda scratch did you drop on that bad boy

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got out and bought an HDMI cable, on my TV now. For general use it looks terrible, but for the games I've tried it really doesn't look too bad. If I'm sitting an inch away from it then there's some noticeable differences from my monitor, but from the 4ft viewing distance I'm at while gaming it seems decent enough.

I've tried Borderlands, Stalker SoC, Mass Effect and Crysis Warhead so far and the only one that I can't seem to get looking good is Crysis. All the others have looked fine after a bit of tweaking, but I can't seem to get color and brightness right no matter what I do. I'm also seeing a bit of screen tearing which I can't seem to fix.

Is there any way I can have a game running on both my TV and monitor, each displaying in that display's preferred resolution so I can get a good side-by-side comparison?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Quote:

Although I'm not too critical when it comes to things like that.

I'm accustomed to using a cheap HP 17 inch LCD 60 HZ monitor. Going from that, to the 32 inch Vizio, it's amazing in my book. That's all I care about.

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I got out and bought an HDMI cable, on my TV now. For general use it looks terrible, but for the games I've tried it really doesn't look too bad. If I'm sitting an inch away from it then there's some noticeable differences from my monitor, but from the 4ft viewing distance I'm at while gaming it seems decent enough.

I've tried Borderlands, Stalker SoC, Mass Effect and Crysis Warhead so far and the only one that I can't seem to get looking good is Crysis. All the others have looked fine after a bit of tweaking, but I can't seem to get color and brightness right no matter what I do. I'm also seeing a bit of screen tearing which I can't seem to fix.

Is there any way I can have a game running on both my TV and monitor, each displaying in that display's preferred resolution so I can get a good side-by-side comparison?

You can plug them both in and set it to clone instead of extended display, but they will have to run at the same resolution.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I've done this & it doesn't look all that good to me. The pixels on the screen are to visible & everythings seems enlarged & unsynced from the sharp monitor picture were use to .It however does get the job done as far as having a big screen to play ur games on but honestly it doesn't look very good.

In order to get it to look almost similar if not the same to your pc monitor on the bigger hdtv's. Your gonna need a 1080p hdtv that supports 120hz or better.

It has to support that 120 hz to get that Bang that your expecting: Will look fine on a 1080p tv alone but again. Go for the 120hz models.. Trust me. been there done that

Otherwise its gonna look a bit washed up & you wont get that sharp picture your use to from your highresolution pc monitor.

Take a look at the pictures below i've posted. The biggest monitor behind the 2 smallers 19" sonys monitors in the picture is a 32" Samsung Hdtv that was hooked up to the pc threw Dvi. This was all hook up as a 4 monitor screen setup with a 7" 4th screen inside the pc.. The freaking picture on the 2 sony monitors blew away the picture on the 32" Sam. Only time the 32" hdtv would shine on thr pc is when i would play music videos & moved the media player up to the Sammy & enlarge the video.

Remember: 1080p tv that support 120hz gets u your picture perfect pc monitor on the Hdtv's with no draw backs.

crap info. Virtually all 120Hz+ HDTVs only accept a 60Hz input. They then do internal expolation to fill the additional images. You DO not want this as this adds input lag.

·
Banned
1,545 Posts
It's alright but i bought my TV when HD started making a splash so running low res on large TV's now probably looks much better

1 - 20 of 26 Posts