Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1411 Posts

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:
ASUS is showing the 27-inch MG279Q monitor at this year's CES, and this display features the vaunted in-plane switching (IPS) technology and a 2560 x 1440 (WQHD) resolution.
Even more impressive, this panel offers frame rates of 120Hz with a 5ms grey-to-grey (GTG) response time according to ASUS.

While officially only listing a generic "DisplayPort" input, we have learned this supports DP 1.2a Plus. What does this mean? At least on paper that would indicate that this monitor could offer AdaptiveSync / FreeSync support. We could also pretty safely assume that a WQHD monitor without G-SYNC will be priced considerably lower than an ROG Swift. It's all very interesting...

http://www.pcper.com/news/CES-2015-ASUS-MG279Q-WQHD-Gaming-Monitor-120Hz-IPS-Panel
My take on this? Of course it's going to have 1.2a adaptive sync extensions included since it's a 120hz gaming monitor. They're not talking about it because they don't want to cannibalize ROG sales with G-Sync just yet since there isn't any FreeSync monitors on the market yet. The other huge selling point is the IPS nature of the monitor.

If only they made a 32 inch 4k version of this with either G-Sync or 1.2a adaptive sync.
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: PC Perspective talks about this monitor

http://youtu.be/NGi_NbUBy4c?t=9m25s

"The MG279Q is not a G-Sync monitor and is not officially a Fresync monitor. It supports 1.2a plus.....The list of monitors that were released earlier today were just the Freesync certified monitors.

If this monitor supports this standard, it doesn't need to be a "Freesync" monitor to be able to work with AMD video cards and have the adaptive refresh rate feature.

UPDATE April 7, 2014

ASUS MG279Q Monitor Now Officially a FreeSync Monitor (144 Hz)

http://www.pcper.com/news/Displays/ASUS-MG279Q-Monitor-Now-Officially-FreeSync-Monitor

·
Registered
731 Posts
I don't see how a FreeSync monitor will cannibalize G-Sync monitor sales. Both require different GPUs.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelius View Post

Since Freesync is optional part of 1.2a then just having 1.2a connection!= freesync support
No, but the article claims it has "DP 1.2a Plus" support. The "plus" being the optional extensions. If you don't want to call it freesync support, then at the very least it's variable vblank support.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantsu View Post

I don't see how a FreeSync monitor will cannibalize G-Sync monitor sales. Both require different GPUs.
No but perhaps people will wait to see the freesync offering from Asus rather than buying a g-sync monitor from them right now? If it's between almost an Asus g-sync monopoly vs wait and see freesync in the future where everyone's gonna be making them, I think Asus would rather you buy a g-sync monitor right now.

·
You broke it!
14,295 Posts
Quote:

Because if you could buy a display that supported both, people would pretty much stop buying the Swift. This is part of the reason I am really holding off, I want to know if someone is going to come out with a display that supports both. I don't want to be "locked" in to one card brand if I don't have to be.
Quote:

Since Freesync is optional part of 1.2a then just having 1.2a connection!= freesync support
Technically AdaptiveSync is the optional part of the DP1.2a extension, FreeSync is AMD's side of things.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Because if you could buy a display that supported both, people would pretty much stop buying the Swift. This is part of the reason I am really holding off, I want to know if someone is going to come out with a display that supports both. I don't want to be "locked" in to one card brand if I don't have to be.
The only way currently to support both would be to include two sets of electronics in display like Benq 2420G does - which results in $600 24" TN

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Quote:

It might make nVidia mad however.. and that could jeopardize the sale of the ROG Swift because nVidia might withhold modules or something...

Anyways sounds like its likely using the same panel that the Acer 27" 144hz GSync is using..

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
This one actually sounds rather appealing compared to the 4k rog that's just been announced. A lot of people have been asking for 2560x1440 IPS 120hz.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Technically AdaptiveSync is the optional part of the DP1.2a extension, FreeSync is AMD's side of things.
But if it's from the same company and same Monitor division why would it matter? Worker Joe might get mad at worker Amy who is on the working the other product line? I'm just thinking they are not there yet. Announced at CES is different from being in the pipeline for Retail is my take. It's not instant. Unless you are Samsung. (phones)

·

1,116 Posts
Damn, lots of monitor choices...can't make my mind up which on to go for...

·
You broke it!
14,295 Posts
Quote:

The only way currently to support both would be to include two sets of electronics in display like Benq 2420G does - which results in $600 24" TN
I am aware of what would be required, my point and desire still stands.

biggrin.gif

·
Registered
32 Posts
This will probably hurt the wallet less too considering theres no premium priced G-Sync in it. This is a interesting monitor, I'm having some regrets buying a Korean monitor recently.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Way to kill my PG278Q. eBay is a calling me!
biggrin.gif

Guess the old UP3214Q will have to come out of storage to hold me over.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The TN Swift cost 800$ , so this one will probably cost around 1250$ ... it really depend if Freesync bring some competition.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So now we have:

- TN, 1440p, 144hz, g-sync
- IPS, 4k, 60hz, g-sync
- IPS, 1440p, 120hz, no g-sync

And none of them interests me...

Why Asus? Why couldn't it just be IPS, 1440p, 120hz (or better yet 144hz, Acer seems to have done it) with g-sync?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlocknunload View Post

So now we have:

- TN, 1440p, 144hz, g-sync
- IPS, 4k, 60hz, g-sync
- IPS, 1440p, 120hz, no g-sync

And none of them interests me...

Why Asus? Why couldn't it just be IPS, 1440p, 120hz (or better yet 144hz, Acer seems to have done it) with g-sync?
Just buy the Acer that is exactly that?

I got messed up, there seem to be two 120hz+ IPS monitor revealed today, Asus one seem to be a freesync one (Supposed, not comfirmed right) and the Acer that is G sync.

1 - 20 of 1411 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.